Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought all of the major pieces in the spare tire kit other than the rim shortly after buying a new 2014 MDX (FWD base model) in December 2013. I decided to postpone installing the kit until I replaced the four OEM tires on my MDX so I could use the best of those tires as the spare. The four OEM tires have less than half of the original tread left after 32K miles; I live in Houston where it rains hard so I replace tires while they are still barely rain worthy. I recently purchased four replacement tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus in OE size) and an extra wheel compatible with the OE 245/60R18 tires: an 18x8, 5 x 114.3 wheel from a 2014 Mustang GT on eBay for $75 including shipping. Today I installed the spare tire kit which included two surprises, one of which was quite troublesome.

First, the spare tire hoist does not include the five 8M x 20 "bolt-washers" (part #93401-08020-05) required to attach it to the underside of the car. These flanged bolts are included in the spare tire kit (including the space saver rim) but not with the hoist purchased separately. I contacted the nearest Honda and nearest Acura dealer via email to get a price quote (and determine if the parts were in stock); neither dealer maintains an online parts inventory and neither responded quickly to my inquiry. So I went to a nearby Home Depot (much closer than the dealers) which I knew had bolts in stock that would work if I supplemented them with washers. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the store stocks flanged bolts equivalent to the OE parts for a significantly lower price; these parts did not appear online when I searched the Home Depot web site. Perhaps I failed to specify the magic keywords but they may not be in the online Home Depot catalog.

Second, the center hole in the Mustang GT wheel is SMALLER than the center hole in an 18" OE MDX wheel. The rubbery plastic puck at the end of the hoist cable would not fit through the center hole in the Mustang wheel. (I am posting this long-winded narrative to warn others about this potential problem.) So I had to laboriously file it down to fit. I do not recommend following this approach; it is time-consuming and frustrating. Either buy a wheel with the same center hole size as the OEM wheels or settle for a space saver spare. Unfortunately, the size of the center hole is typically not mentioned in wheel descriptions.

Absent these two issues, the spare tire kit is remarkably easy to install and it appears very sturdy (even after filing the puck to fit through the center hole in a Mustang GT wheel).

Looking ahead, I am concerned about whether the factory trailer hitch I bought will fit in the space available between a full size spare and the rear bumper structure. It should work; otherwise even the space-save spare is a fail when actually used on an MDX with a factory trailer hitch (and the flat full size wheel cannot be stored in the wheel well under the car). I will investigate this issue during the coming week.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
^^ Did you actually put that spare on one of the wheel locations to test it out to make sure it'll work okay if you end up having to use it?

Note - I think another poster indicated wheels from the 2nd gen MDX would fit and that they might be available at a auto recycling yard. That's another way to go if getting a full size spare.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Although they only come in 17" sizes (I don't recall the width, perhaps 6.5"?), the first gen MDX rims will fit. The second gen MDX wheels have a different bolt pattern and therefore will not fit on the third gen.

I believe others here have successfully used RDX wheels as well on the third gen.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
^^ Maybe the poster said 1st gen rather than 2nd gen. Regardless, it s/b validated before actually buying is one goes that route instead of getting the normal temp spare.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey just throwing it out there, I am also in Houston, we could look for a set of OEM 18" wheels, so you keep 2 and I keep the other 2 for spare/backup purposes.

Of course if we have enough people, each could get one out of the set. Just saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey just throwing it out there, I am also in Houston, we could look for a set of OEM 18" wheels, so you keep 2 and I keep the other 2 for spare/backup purposes.

Of course if we have enough people, each could get one out of the set. Just saying.
I'd do it... after i get my MDX in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All
Just to pass on some technical details on my recent experience with regards to ordering and installing a spare tire on our 2014 Base MDX.
As previous posts have described, I ordered the Acura OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) spare tire kit (P/N: 06421-TZ5-A00) from E-Bay for around $55 with $30 shipping (~$85 in total). The spare tire I ordered was the 'T165/80R-17 CONTINENTAL CST 17' found on the TireRack web site. $172 including delivery to my local Mr.Tire. Finally $6 to install tire on rim and all set!
Hope this helps - good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Full Size Spare with Trailer Hitch

I can confirm the factory hitch (08L92 TZ5 202) fits a full size spare (245/55/19) on a 2014 MDX. I previously purchased and installed a Curt 13146 and it fit the vehicle just fine but the full size spare would not, unfortunately not disclosed at the point of sale. The DrawTite 75225 will not fit a full size spare either. I was able to buy the factory hitch at the dealership at the "wholesale price" of $315. All in I think we spent about $800 on getting a full size spare on our MDX. $200 for the correct offset wheel on ebay, $100 for the parts to hold the tire in place and the wrench, $100 for the tire at Americas Tire, $30 for the trailer light kit, $315 hitch, plus tax... The picture on the bottom is the curt hitch not fitting......

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep, it is facing the wrong way. Easier to check tire pressure but it will beat up the wheel that way and there is more area for debris to collect in the wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone added a spare tire to a 2019 (or '17 or '18) MDX advance hybrid? I'd definitely like to add one, but I'm not 100% sure which parts I would need to order. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Has anyone added a spare tire to a 2019 (or '17 or '18) MDX advance hybrid? I'd definitely like to add one, but I'm not 100% sure which parts I would need to order. Thanks!
You should really do a search before you post on something like this. This has been covered. Both DIY and dealer. I had the dealer do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 MDX Tech did not come with a spare tire; instead a small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Not good in event of major damage to the tire. So I purchased p/n 06421-TZ5-A10 Spare Tire Kit from the Acura dealer for $81.42. This kit consists of the spare tire rim, valve stem, spare tire hoist, spare tire caution label, jack, wheel nut wrench/jack handle and tire and load information label. Note that it does NOT include the tire!

Installation of the spare tire kit was quick and simple, the included instructions were concise and clear. At the time the dealer did not have the Bridgestone tire on hand which costs an additional $330. Wow! for a spare donut tire!

Goodyear supposedly makes the T165-80D17 tire for $200.00 but nobody carries it. I sent an email to Goodyear asking where to buy and they replied I cannot, they are only sold to OEM.

Finally, after many tries, Discount Tire found a Kuhmo tire in 165/90R17 for $95.00. The tire is slightly larger than the -80 Goodyear or Bridgestone but it fit nicely into the spare tire opening under the MDX. Also, the Goodyear load rating was only 1965# versus the Kuhmo at 2756# so this tire is quite safe to use as a spare. Problem solved, saved $200.00.
Thank you for your detailed instructions. I purchased the spare tire kit and the kumho tire from discount tire. Installation was painless. This thread is still helpful 4 years later!

Question: What psi do you inflate the Kumho tire to? Since it is a little taller (90 vs 80), I assume the tire pressure needs to be a little bit greater?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 MDX Tech did not come with a spare tire; instead a small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Not good in event of major damage to the tire. So I purchased p/n 06421-TZ5-A10 Spare Tire Kit from the Acura dealer for $81.42. This kit consists of the spare tire rim, valve stem, spare tire hoist, spare tire caution label, jack, wheel nut wrench/jack handle and tire and load information label. Note that it does NOT include the tire!

Installation of the spare tire kit was quick and simple, the included instructions were concise and clear. At the time the dealer did not have the Bridgestone tire on hand which costs an additional $330. Wow! for a spare donut tire!

Goodyear supposedly makes the T165-80D17 tire for $200.00 but nobody carries it. I sent an email to Goodyear asking where to buy and they replied I cannot, they are only sold to OEM.

Finally, after many tries, Discount Tire found a Kuhmo tire in 165/90R17 for $95.00. The tire is slightly larger than the -80 Goodyear or Bridgestone but it fit nicely into the spare tire opening under the MDX. Also, the Goodyear load rating was only 1965# versus the Kuhmo at 2756# so this tire is quite safe to use as a spare. Problem solved, saved $200.00.
Shocker update: The same kit you purchased for $81 in 2015 is now $131 in 2019. Acura is making a killing off of these hot items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All
Just to pass on some technical details on my recent experience with regards to ordering and installing a spare tire on our 2014 Base MDX.
As previous posts have described, I ordered the Acura OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) spare tire kit (P/N: 06421-TZ5-A00) from E-Bay for around $55 with $30 shipping (~$85 in total). The spare tire I ordered was the 'T165/80R-17 CONTINENTAL CST 17' found on the TireRack web site. $172 including delivery to my local Mr.Tire. Finally $6 to install tire on rim and all set!
Hope this helps - good luck
To AIN47:
I just looked up the kit you said you bought from Ebay for $55, and it is now $131+shipping, and it has only the jack, tire tool, and 18" wheel, no hoist included. https://www.ebay.com/p/7028446450

·
Registered
722 Posts
May be I am young, but I thought everyone car would equipped with spare tire, atleast my Rogue had it, when I picked up my used 15 Tech, I asked the sales where is the spare tire? He told me he never see one, and he suggests me to get one on my own. So I went to the salvage parts, got the tire with rim, along with the jack tool for only $50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
May be I am young, but I thought everyone car would equipped with spare tire, atleast my Rogue had it, when I picked up my used 15 Tech, I asked the sales where is the spare tire? He told me he never see one, and he suggests me to get one on my own. So I went to the salvage parts, got the tire with rim, along with the jack tool for only $50.
I am curious as to where you will keep your spare tire?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts