Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 MDX Tech did not come with a spare tire; instead a small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Not good in event of major damage to the tire. So I purchased p/n 06421-TZ5-A10 Spare Tire Kit from the Acura dealer for $81.42. This kit consists of the spare tire rim, valve stem, spare tire hoist, spare tire caution label, jack, wheel nut wrench/jack handle and tire and load information label. Note that it does NOT include the tire!

Installation of the spare tire kit was quick and simple, the included instructions were concise and clear. At the time the dealer did not have the Bridgestone tire on hand which costs an additional $330. Wow! for a spare donut tire!

Goodyear supposedly makes the T165-80D17 tire for $200.00 but nobody carries it. I sent an email to Goodyear asking where to buy and they replied I cannot, they are only sold to OEM.

Finally, after many tries, Discount Tire found a Kuhmo tire in 165/90R17 for $95.00. The tire is slightly larger than the -80 Goodyear or Bridgestone but it fit nicely into the spare tire opening under the MDX. Also, the Goodyear load rating was only 1965# versus the Kuhmo at 2756# so this tire is quite safe to use as a spare. Problem solved, saved $200.00.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What is critical is the diameter of the tire. Should be extremely close or exactly same diameter as the tires on the car. if you have all wheel drive, with wrong diameter, you can ruin the diffs. Make sure its a very short drive if you put that on. Google "Tire calculator" and input your tire sizes. Spare and your stock tire. You get measurements from it.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The stock tire size is 245/60-18. The outer diameter of the 165/80-17 stock spare tire is 7.4 percent smaller than stock (27.4" vs 29.6"). The 165/90-17 is 3.0 percent smaller than stock (28.7"). It should work fine on the car, with no problems.

A full-size wheel and tire is another alternative, and won't have limits on your speed or miles like a compact spare tire does. You can find full-size used stock wheels on car-part.com; it may come with a tire, but if it doesn't, you can find used tires here and here.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
FYI - you can find cheap spare tires in junkyards too
car-part.com (which I just mentioned above) is the website that all the big junkyards use to list their parts. So you can search it for a compact spare wheel/tire as well as for a full-size spare wheel/tire.

·
Registered
520 Posts
car-part.com (which I just mentioned above) is the website that all the big junkyards use to list their parts. So you can search it for a compact spare wheel/tire as well as for a full-size spare wheel/tire.
yeah, that's what I meant ... thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I purchased p/n 06421-TZ5-A10 Spare Tire Kit from the Acura dealer for $81.42. This kit consists of the spare tire rim, valve stem, spare tire hoist, spare tire caution label, jack, wheel nut wrench/jack handle and tire and load information label. Note that it does NOT include the tire!

Finally, after many tries, Discount Tire found a Kuhmo tire in 165/90R17 for $95.00. The tire is slightly larger than the -80 Goodyear or Bridgestone but it fit nicely into the spare tire opening under the MDX.
Thank you for the information. Does the Kuhmo tire fit on the wheel included with the Acura Spare Tire Kit you purchased or did you have to purchase another wheel?

I appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Kuhmo tire fit the steel wheel from Acura. It also fit into the spare tire well without a problem and is completely hidden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about to purchase the kit and I see the details above on the tire needed for the donut rim, but will the exact 2014 aluminum 19" rim fit into this kit / well? Please only reply if you know for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I got the kit with the jack, lift, etc and a steel rim with the kit. Im not sure of the size of the rim, but it is smaller than factory 19" aluminum rims. I went ahead and removed my factory rim/tire form the car to make sure it would fit and it does. It is a really tight fit, but it will work. This is for anyone, like myself that would prefer to have an original tire and rim in lue of the donut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the same, we lease a 15 tech fwd BUT have a 11 month old and i couldnt see NOT having the spare.

To answer theabove question, the acura kit comes with a 17" donut

I ended up going with the
Oem acura kit on ebay
Kumho tire (little taller than recommended)
And local install on tire and hanger hub

All in for $200 vs $600 at dealer

You can put a full size under rear BUT that hangar isnt really designed (IMO) for prolonged weight like that.
Donut yes, 19" tech wheel and tire no.

Either way im happy AND if i did god forbid get a flat the cheaper taller tire would only be for a day of use ...if that

FYI the Ford Edge uses the same exact size OEM tire for spare as mdx
So if u did want to cheap out, check junkyards for a wrecked one or ebay and just toss the steelie out

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You can put a full size under rear BUT that hangar isnt really designed (IMO) for prolonged weight like that.
Donut yes, 19" tech wheel and tire no.
The hangar was clearly designed to be able to sustain the weight of the regular rim/tire and the space was designed to fit one as well. The reason this is obvious is because that's where the owner's manual tells you to stow the flat when you replace it with the spare. Check out the owner's manual and you can confirm what I just stated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure it can hold it, but does it state for everyday driving over years time?
If so my apologies, from looking at the kit in hand id be nervous with ny roads & piles of ice 'catching' the tire and extra tension put on that cable n rubber holder.

My .02

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm sure it can hold it, but does it state for everyday driving over years time?
Of course it doesn't say that - it would be an awkward and unnecessary thing to state. They also don't state "for only 3 hours" or "for just a short time" or anything. It does state to stow the flat there and imply to go ahead and drive with it that way down the freeway. In order to do that it 'has' to be strong enough to support the tire.

I've had other SUVs with a similar spare tire location that were provided with full size spares from the factory. It has the same cable 'suspension' system as the MDX. These cables are quite strong. I've never had one break. I've used them while 4 wheeling and thus jarring it considerably with no problem. I have a 1998 Durango with > 225K miles on it that's had a full size spare held that way the entire time.

Bottom line - the owner's manual states the full size wheel can be stowed there and doesn't place any mileage or time limits on it and it has to be strong enough to not fail. You can always double-check with Acura though and see what they have to say - i.e. if they say 'not for more than 90 minutes' or something. A statement like 'not permanently' or 'a short time' would be meaningless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 MDX Tech did not come with a spare tire; instead a small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Not good in event of major damage to the tire. So I purchased p/n 06421-TZ5-A10 Spare Tire Kit from the Acura dealer for $81.42. This kit consists of the spare tire rim, valve stem, spare tire hoist, spare tire caution label, jack, wheel nut wrench/jack handle and tire and load information label. Note that it does NOT include the tire!

Installation of the spare tire kit was quick and simple, the included instructions were concise and clear. At the time the dealer did not have the Bridgestone tire on hand which costs an additional $330. Wow! for a spare donut tire!

Goodyear supposedly makes the T165-80D17 tire for $200.00 but nobody carries it. I sent an email to Goodyear asking where to buy and they replied I cannot, they are only sold to OEM.

Finally, after many tries, Discount Tire found a Kuhmo tire in 165/90R17 for $95.00. The tire is slightly larger than the -80 Goodyear or Bridgestone but it fit nicely into the spare tire opening under the MDX. Also, the Goodyear load rating was only 1965# versus the Kuhmo at 2756# so this tire is quite safe to use as a spare. Problem solved, saved $200.00.
I ordered the Acura spare tire kit for my 2015 MDX at dealer for $78.24 and found a Yokohama T165/80D17 for $90 + tax and shipping at TireRack.com. I'll take it to tire installer and then install the kit myself. Any special tools needed to DIY this install?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We bought the spare tire kit from Tim at OEM Acura Parts. EXCELLENT to work with. Then bought the Goodyear spare from Tire Rack. It cost $17 to have the tire put on the rim. The hubby had all the tools he needed in the spare tire kit and installed the spare in less than 10 minutes. Good luck.

Stacy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts