Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on getting the oil consumption test but I have to fix this leak, I changed the vtec solenoid gasket and did my water pump and timing belt. I didn’t notice any leak on the oil pump. There’s this bolt near those 2 Allen bolts on the lower rear right above the drain bolt that seems to be leaking. I cleaned my engine and added dye and ran it for 15 min and had the wife do a store run, then when I lifted the car and looked again. I’ve notice there’s a bolt with a washer that looks like it’s leaking. It seems I have to pull the half shaft/axle to get the bolt out due to clearance issue?? Had anyone see this bolt??

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is #15 in the image. They bolt into the crank journal block things. Non pressurized but have oil in the bore. It is a ~100mm bolt with washer built in. The surface the bolt torques to mates with the washer to form a seal. It shouldn’t be leaking but it’s not the end of the world if it is.

I did a j32a2 swap in my Honda Element and that bolt specifically I had to remove and replace with an Allen head bolt for clearance due to how the intermediate shaft had to mount. When I removed the bolt it had what looked to be old oil in the bore. When I replaced the bolt with the Allen head bolt I also put RTV around the shoulder to seal it. Hasn’t leaked at all.

It might just need to be re-torqued. You could also remove, RTV and replace to clear up the leak. I had to remove two bolts along the back of the engine behind the intermediate shaft and replace. Didn’t affect the engine at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is a photo after I replaced it. There is RTV in the bore under the shoulder of the bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it’s just a non pressurized bolt correct? I should have no problem removing it? It just seems like a pain in the ass I have to remove my axle to get to it. As for the rtv, U had success with it? Was hoping maybe I can unbolt it just enough to coat it and retighten I’m just to get me by for the time being

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is non pressurized but there will be old oil in the bore. If you do remove it you’ll need to let it flow out, clean as best you can before doing RTV.

Make sure to wait until the engine is cold and if you’re not taking the axle out, and only removing the bolt a little, you’ll want to get a crows foot wrench so you can sneak it up there to torque the bolt back down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts