Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Acura dealer and I saw a bunch of MDX's with fender flares that looked darker than mine. I was thinking "what's up?!?, I didn't know there was more than one color to choose from."

To make a long story short, there isn't more than one choice. It's an optical illusion. The fender flares look really dark on SS and HB, but they look light on my Nighthawk Black. The parts guy helped me go from car to car to verify this. But check it out yourself, it is really weird.

But wait!!! I think the lower trim is a different color and definitely looks darker than the fender flares, so it looks mismatched. Had I known this, I would probably have considered getting the fender flares painted instead.

I just got my lower trim and I've taken some pictures to show what I mean...

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Up close:

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more shot:

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what happened, I thought all these pieces were suppose to be the same color. Seems kind of odd to have different color pieces. :(

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Question?

Q: So are the pieces different colors, or is it really an optical illusion?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I wasn't too clear in the first post. I'll go back and fix it. The fender flares you see on all the different colored MDX's are the same color, but they look different because of the contrast.

I think the lower trim and fender flares are different colored though, but it might also be the way the metallic paint is reflecting? The pictures pretty much show what they look like in person. I want to say they are different, but I would like a second opinion...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which lighting problem?

Do any owners have both the stock lower trim and fender flares to provide some input?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Color Match

I just checked mine (On Black) and they both look the same. My problem is that Acura doesn't make touch up paint for them! I have tried 5 colors at Pep Boys and can't get close. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The lower trim looks like the curve causes a gradient color part of which actually matches the trim.

Did you purchase these at the same time? Could be a difference in the perl metal flake causing the color change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i am a first year university student, and one of my courses is psychology. The so called "illusion" that the grey fenders looking darker for lighter colors and lighter for darker colors is due to our perception in vision based on a phenomena the called the "enhancement of contrast."

To make it short, this is what it says in my book:

"A greater difference in brightness between adjacent visual stimuli is registered by the visual system than would be registered by a machine that faithfully recorded the actual physical difference in light. If you look at a television screen with the set turned off, it appears a relatively light shade of gray. Yet when the TV is turned on, the same screen can create the impression of black objects, even though no part of the screen can send less light to the eye when the screen is on than when it is off. The same intensity of light that formerly looked gray looks black when surrounded by higher-intensity light. This is an example of heightened contrast created by the visual system."

Letz just say there are two vehicles with the same color of fender flares, but one vehicle is a darker gray, and another is a lighter gray. Each solid gray color (flares and car) appears lighter near its boundary with a darker color and darker near its boundary with a lighter color.

The object's color we see is not actually its real "color", but is rather the light REFLECTED by it. Lets say we see a lamp that has a color of red. Some of the lights that hits the object are absorbed by a pigment (which is chemicals and varies, producing the unique colors we see), while emitting back others (different wavelengths of light). So in general, we see the lamp to be red b/c the pigment absorbs all the color except red, which is REFLECTED upon into our retina in our eyes.

The enhancement of contrast is ultimately by the perceptual vision to not simply detect the presence or absence of light or differing wavelengths but, rather, to identify objects (human evolution to better detect the contours of objects, so we can define they are different and unique of one another)

I know this may be confusing and complicated, which it is, but that is pretty much as simple as it gets in explaining it. Thats only a skim of things btw lol. PHEW! thank gawd i finished my final exam for this course last week! had to read a few hundred pages of this...interesting of course, but LOTS OF MATERIAL TO ABSORB! hope i i did well!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talk about reviving an old thread. I fixed this problem by buying painted fender flares that match the color of my car. Now I don't care anymore :2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was at the Acura dealer and I saw a bunch of MDX's with fender flares that looked darker than mine. I was thinking "what's up?!?, I didn't know there was more than one color to choose from."

To make a long story short, there isn't more than one choice. It's an optical illusion. The fender flares look really dark on SS and HB, but they look light on my Nighthawk Black. The parts guy helped me go from car to car to verify this. But check it out yourself, it is really weird.

But wait!!! I think the lower trim is a different color and definitely looks darker than the fender flares, so it looks mismatched. Had I known this, I would probably have considered getting the fender flares painted instead.

I just got my lower trim and I've taken some pictures to show what I mean...
I buy my parts from bernardiparts.com and looked to order the front lower trim for my 04, it comes in two different colors, gray or canyon stone silver. also on the website is the color code

1 - 16 of 16 Posts