Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking feedback on 2019 Transmission

I am wondering if any 2019 owners could weigh in on how they like the transmission in their vehicles. I tried searching the forum and didn't find much covering that. I like my 2016 but the transmission is kind of a weak point of the vehicle. I have a weird chirping noise the dealer is working on from the 5 to 3 downshift. I like a lot of the current generation layout/design and am considering a 2019 / 2020 since I would not buy the next generation in the first few years it comes out. My Service Manager told me that there were some mechanical changes made for this model year and I had previously only read about the software updates. I became more intrigued when I read in Motor Trend some of the mechanical changes they made to the 9speed for 2019 MDX's and Pilots. I was recently in my coworkers brand new '19 Pilot Touring and realized about halfway through the drive I was oblivious to the transmission shifting - a welcome change from one that really lets you know it's there in my current car.

I am specifically wondering:
1.) How is the shifting? Do you notice any unusual shifts? Does the car ever feel sluggish?
2.) How many miles are on your vehicle at this point?
3.) Do you have the Transmission Cooler installed? If so, have you noticed any issues as a result of this being present on the vehicle? I have read that the Transmission Cooler has caused some issues for many users on the prior years but don't know if the changes made avoid the problems now.

If there is any other relevant info I would love to hear that as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have a 2018 with the ZF9 speed. Works just fine to me. Only issue I see is once on a while it will not downshift quite fast enough for my taste.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll say this: I had a 2019 for several days while they worked on the transmission of my 2017 and it was WAY better in terms of smooth shifting. Almost didn't notice it because it was working so well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a 19 SH-AWD Advance and the transmission is very smooth. Keep in mind that we did not own a previous year model, so I do not have one to compare it too, but it does shift very smooth. There are occasional herky jerky shifts, but that occurs in all of these new transmissions that have more then 4-5 gears.

Does it feel sluggish ? - No the shifts feels smooth and crisp, the SUV is a little lacking in power for such a large vehicle, our Cadillac SRX is definitely quicker, but the MDX is WAY more refined. The 19 Advance with the Magnetic Shocks and Stuts make a huge difference in the ride quality - I am very happy they decided to add them to the Advance package and its one of the main reasons we went for this as opposed to just the Tech package.

We do not have the trans cooler installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. My car is back in for what I think is the transmission squeaking during a downshift. I was hoping to have a 2019 MDX but instead got the RDX again. Oh well, first world problems.

Anyway, it’s good to know it is improved. Hopefully at some point I will see feedback from someone with a 2019 that has the transmission cooler installed. I’m hoping the mechanical changes helped with that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts