Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wife's MDX for CA emissions and failed the visual inspection even though it passed the rest of the tests. The guy said that the vacuum lines had been tampered with (immediately I scratch my head).

There has been a line on the top, rear of the engine that was always plugged. I have seen in other threads for older Generation 1 engines that this is normal. I know the same screw had been in the line for years now, and had passed before. Can somebody tell me where this should go? Pic1.

The second one looks like a transmission breather hose. It appears to come from the transmission from under the battery. Pic2

Please advise. Truly appreciate all suggestions.

2001 MDX
189,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That is the Engine mounts vacuum.
Probably last owner replaced the mount with solid units and cancelled that line.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For the front engine mount vacuum tube routing, it might be a little different than the 01 X but in case it helps, here are pictures from an 06. The vacuum tube starts as the U-shaped tube on the back side of the intake and runs to a solenoid by the radiator and then down to the mount. Maybe one of the members with an 01 can post pictures.

Like skirmich said, your mount may have been changed out. It might also be that the previous owner removed/capped the tube because the mount has a leak or one of the vacuum lines for the mount had a leak. Looking at the picture, the tube looks like it has cracks as it heads toward the mount. If you just splice onto it with a straight tubing barb and restore the connection, you might get a vacuum leak and the engine could start stumbling.

Re the plugged port at the back, the parts diagram on the ehonda website shows that it's plugged (#14). The way yours is plugged makes it look altered. You can buy a box of plugs at Autozone, O-Reillys, or Pep Boys for probably <$5. However, with both hoses being marked with blue pen, makes me think it should connect to the front mount (or solenoid to the front mount if there was one for an 01.)

Acura online store : 2001 mdx tubing (1) parts

Good luck! I live in CA and deal with the smog checks too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skirmich and LeftOverParts,

Thanks. Didn't know that there were vacuum actuated motor mounts.

Told the SMOG shop that it was for a deleted hydraulic engine mount and he passed it. I looked at the engine mount, and couldn't see a vacuum nipple on it. Is it worth replacing on an MDX with 189K on it?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hydraulic Engine Mounts are almost a given in all Acuras, they are designed to soften in idle and harden when applying throttle. The nipple comes out from beneath the mount, you can spot the line from beneath the car.

Aftermarket goes for cheaper fully solid mounts so it doesn't have the vacuum nipple. In order to cancel the vacuum you just plug both mounts vacuum lines. Last owner cancelled the vacuum directly from the source.

Hydro mounts should give you a better ride but they are not known to last.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For DIY, you can get a vacuum operated mount from rockauto for $30-$60 depending on brand and warranty. I have not done a front mount but would tackle it.

If you haven not noticed your engine shaking, maybe not worth it, esp if you have to pay to have it installed. OTH, if that mount is out (and not a hard mount) the extra vibration could stress the other mounts more and maybe cause them to wear early. Only a guess. Maybe some other members can speak from experience. I suppose replacing it also depends on if you will keep the X, DIY experience, cost to have a mech do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts