Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing a diagram of the factory amplifier pinouts and what speakers they go to.

I have a 2012 Advance with the 10-speaker ELS audio system and will be installing a DSP and aftermarket amplifiers.

In this thread:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/31458-08-mdx-subwoofer.html

I see the following, but what about the 10-speaker ELS audio system?

Subwoofer (+/-) green - red (preamp) +,- radio, gray 32 pin plug, pins 30, 14 or gray 24 pin plug, pins 12, 24
RSE Audio Left (+/-) red - white +,- radio, gray 16 pin plug, pins 6 and 13
RSE Audio Right (+/-) black - white +,- radio, gray 16 pin plug, pins 14 and 13

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drop me an email, [email protected] . I should be able to help.
Funny enough, I emailed you yesterday on this Tim and you came through this morning with the diagram.

Thank you VERY much!

The attached photo (at the bottom of this post) that Tim emailed me will help anyone looking to utilize aftermarket amplifiers so that the factory amplifier output (18-pin harness) can be wired to a universal DSP (OEM interface) device such as any of the following:

Mosconi 6to8v8

Audison bit One

Alpine PXA-H800

JL Audio CleanSweep

Here's a technical breakdown of 3 of the first 4 aforementioned DSPs:[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]

http://magnitola.org/attachments/pr...395748003-Magnitola-Avtozvuk-dsp-compared.pdf

[/FONT]Note: The upgraded Mosconi 6to8v8 device now has 8 Volt outputs, instead of 4 Volts on its predecessor, the 6to8.

After reading this:

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

and

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/41508-2008-mdx-stereo-install.html#post485998

You will ONLY use "Connector B", the 18-pin harness.

You will NOT use "Connector A", the 20-pin harness (base model MDX) or 28-pin harness (Technology/Advance MDX models) because it connects directly to the factory head unit.

From "Connector B", the 18-pin connector, you will use:

Note: These are Speaker-level outputs from the factory amplifier:

Note: The following pinouts are ONLY for Technology/Advance MDX models. Refer to the attached photo at the bottom of this post for Base model MDXs:

Front Channel:

Left Channel: Green/Pin 7 (negative) and White/Pin 16 (positive)

Right Channel: Brown/Pin 6 (negative) and Red/Pin 15 (positive)

Rear Channel:

Left Channel: Purple/Pin 4 (negative) and Pink/Pin 13 (positive)

Right Channel: Orange/Pin 3 (negative) and Blue/Pin 12 (positive)

Subwoofer Channel if necessary:

Note: This is a Line-level input that feeds the Subwoofer Amplifier, which is located inside the Subwoofer enclosure, located in the right-side cargo area. This line can still be utilized to feed the Subwoofer inputs on a DSP if desired. That way, your Subwoofer audio control on your factory head unit can still be utilized.

Subwoofer Channel:

Pink/Pin 1 (negative) and Blue/Pin 10 (positive)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Excellent! :29:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Funny enough, I emailed you yesterday on this Tim and you came through this morning with the diagram.

Thank you VERY much!

The attached photo (at the bottom of this post) that Tim emailed me will help anyone looking to utilize aftermarket amplifiers so that the factory amplifier output (18-pin harness) can be wired to a universal DSP (OEM interface) device such as any of the following:

Mosconi 6to8v8

Audison bit One

Alpine PXA-H800

JL Audio CleanSweep

Here's a technical breakdown of 3 of the first 4 aforementioned DSPs:[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]

http://magnitola.org/attachments/pr...395748003-Magnitola-Avtozvuk-dsp-compared.pdf

[/FONT]Note: The upgraded Mosconi 6to8v8 device now has 8 Volt outputs, instead of 4 Volts on its predecessor, the 6to8.

After reading this:

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

and

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/41508-2008-mdx-stereo-install.html#post485998

You will ONLY use "Connector B", the 18-pin harness.

You will NOT use "Connector A", the 20-pin harness (base model MDX) or 28-pin harness (Technology/Advance MDX models) because it connects directly to the factory head unit.

From "Connector B", the 18-pin connector, you will use:

Note: These are Speaker-level outputs from the factory amplifier:

Note: The following pinouts are ONLY for Technology/Advance MDX models. Refer to the attached photo at the bottom of this post for Base model MDXs:

Front Channel:

Left Channel: Green/Pin 7 (negative) and White/Pin 16 (positive)

Right Channel: Brown/Pin 6 (negative) and Red/Pin 15 (positive)

Rear Channel:

Left Channel: Purple/Pin 4 (negative) and Pink/Pin 13 (positive)

Right Channel: Orange/Pin 3 (negative) and Blue/Pin 12 (positive)

Subwoofer Channel if necessary:

Note: This is a Line-level input that feeds the Subwoofer Amplifier, which is located inside the Subwoofer enclosure, located in the right-side cargo area. This line can still be utilized to feed the Subwoofer inputs on a DSP if desired. That way, your Subwoofer audio control on your factory head unit can still be utilized.

Subwoofer Channel:

Pink/Pin 1 (negative) and Blue/Pin 10 (positive)
This is going to be very useful for my install of aftermarket amp/speakers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any pictures of the install? Also what amp did you go with?

I just made a custom dash kit for my 2 din and getting ready to do the amp and possibly DSP now. Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is a test fit pic View attachment 114454 . But you get the idea
That's impressive! I couldn't figure out how to place a Double DIN in without shutting off the lower Map/Guide controls. Because the Map/Guide + CD/Radio guts are all-in-one. How did you keep the guts and get a Double DIN in? Or did you ditch the Map/Guide functions completely...and those are just dummy buttons? Or is your Double DIN merely a display and its guts are elsewhere?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The gps controls are separate on the 07-09 models. Not sure about the 2010-2013.
Also the gps still works and so do all the buttons including the dial.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how to keep the voice prompts.

Can someone recommend a 5 channel amp that will work with the els speakers in our car? The ohms on our speakers are all over the place. 2ohm for door speakers. 6ohm tweeters and 4 ohm for all others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The gps controls are separate on the 07-09 models. Not sure about the 2010-2013.
Also the gps still works and so do all the buttons including the dial.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how to keep the voice prompts.

Can someone recommend a 5 channel amp that will work with the els speakers in our car? The ohms on our speakers are all over the place. 2ohm for door speakers. 6ohm tweeters and 4 ohm for all others.
Ah ok you have the 07-09 model. I think it's next to impossible to separate the GPS from the radio on the 10-13 models. I could remove all the screws and see if they separate into two, but I'm still satisfied with my ipad mini bluetoothing to the Mosconi DSP. It just doesn't look as cool as a flush mount.

What deck did you choose?

No clue on the 5-channel amp. Call Crutchfield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The deck I’ll use is an Android PX6 with built in DSP. Not sure how good the dsp will be until it’s all installed.

That’s why I said I may be adding an external one after reading your post

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ah ok you have the 07-09 model. I think it's next to impossible to separate the GPS from the radio on the 10-13 models. I could remove all the screws and see if they separate into two, but I'm still satisfied with my ipad mini bluetoothing to the Mosconi DSP. It just doesn't look as cool as a flush mount.

What deck did you choose?

No clue on the 5-channel amp. Call Crutchfield.
I thought you stated at the beginning you installed aftermarket dsp and amplifiers.
Did you not use the amp after all. Or did you get new speakere?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I thought you stated at the beginning you installed aftermarket dsp and amplifiers.
Did you not use the amp after all. Or did you get new speakere?
I'm using the Mosconi 8to12 Aerospace (started with the 6to8v8). It can accommodate line level inputs (converted into RCA inputs). I use the MDX's factory radio so I can listen to Sirius/XM. This is why I needed the wiring diagram for the factory amplifier pinouts.

The Mosconi can also accommodate digital inputs, so I pair its Toslink input to the Mosconi AMAS2 to accept a bluetooth signal from the ipad mini.

I can listen to the MDX's factory radio when the ipad mini is not playing.

If I could fit a Double DIN deck without disabling the GPS, I would do it. As you can see in the pic above of the back of my radio in my 2012 Advance, it just isn't practical. I would have to make some serious modifications to the GPS/radio by splitting them apart, if it's even possible. Then I would likely have to extend the Map/Guide connections to the GPS unit so I could recess it so the Double DIN would fit, if it's even possible. In all my Google searches, I haven't seen anyone attempt it on the 10-13 models with GPS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. You can do this with the 2010-2013 as well. The gps controls are separate from the radio View attachment 114458
But as you can see, it's an all in one unit. As mentioned above, if it can be taken apart and separated into two units, great. But then does the physical issue of planting a Double DIN unit become an issue?

Here's the rear of the 07-09 unit. Much different than the rear of the 10-13 unit. You can see how the 07-09 can be separated much easier than the 10-13.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. You can do this with the 2010-2013 as well. The gps controls are separate from the radio View attachment 114458
Just spoke with the installer from New Jersey. He said the GPS unit on the 07-09 is located under the driver seat. The GPS unit on the 10-13 is built into the radio, so it cannot be separated, so installing a Double DIN radio renders the GPS and its top LCD screen useless.

It wouldn’t bother me losing the GPS, but the top LCD does supply important information when you need it.

So my original theory is correct. One would have to find a way to recess the GPS/radio to allow the Double DIN to fit and extend the Map/Guide connections behind the buttons. Even that guy didn’t even mention it. I think only the insane would attempt it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts