·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been wondering about that too. Looked at cargo boxes. Not sure I need that much box for occasional use. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Walmart has a similar (maybe not quite as nice) cargo bag for $30.00.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Is it waterproof or water resistant?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you're asking about the Walmart cargo bag...

I believe that it's only water resistant. I have one of these, and I like it partly because it folds up and takes up very little space. If I remember correctly, it's a little bigger than the one pictured at the top (beginning) of this thread.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That looks like a great alternative to a cargo box primarily because of the storage aspect. I had a cargo box years ago and never could find a good place to store it, so it usually was packed with camping stuff which I had to unpack and repack if I wanted to use the box for something other than camping! I'd like this bag a little better if it was waterproof, but the contents could be protected by a big, black garbage bag. I might need one of these for my next trip.

I do have a couple of minor concerns. Aerodynamics: does this thing cause lots of drag which is noticeable in the mpg results? Noise: this is related to the first concern. Is the bag so noisy that you wouldn't want to open the moonroof? Maintenance: do the bugs wash or clean off easily?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Make sure that you double check the distance b/w the roof rack cross bars on the MDX and the width & length of the RackSack, I see that the dimensions are listed as 39"x32" but it doesn't say which is width and which is length. I don't recall what the '01 vs '02 &'03 spacing is but it is narrow and can cause a problem. Do a search on "car top carrier" or "kanga pak" to get more info.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since the MDX doesn't have any "luggage" rails on the roof, won't this style of carrier rub or scratch the paint? As road grime gets between the carrier and the paint surface it would be like rubbing the paint with 600 grit paper.

::confused:

I think your better off getting a carrier that is supported by the factory rack.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
You should put a blanket underneath it. . .

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
ACURAMDX2002...

I do have a couple of minor concerns. Aerodynamics: does this thing cause lots of drag which is noticeable in the mpg results? Noise: this is related to the first concern. Is the bag so noisy that you wouldn't want to open the moonroof? Maintenance: do the bugs wash or clean off easily?
There is some aerodynamic drag associated with the use of a cargo bag on the roof. In fact, Acura suggests that you follow the severe maintenance schedule if you use a cargo bag/container on the roof most of the time. You might lose 1 or 2 mpg (at the very most) when driving at highway speeds with the cargo bag. Understand that the drag would be proportional to the square of your velocity. Ergo, if you drove slowly, you mileage rating would not suffer significantly - but it would suffer driving at 75 mph.

The bag must cause some noise, but I can't say that it bothered me. Since the bag (both Walmart's as well as the one pictured in the first post) sits on the roof, you can't open the moonroof when using it.

Before using a cargo bag on the roof, you should clean the roof off, then place a clean 100% cotton towel over the roof where the cargo bag will be sitting, then place the cargo bag on the towel between the roof rack rails.

Note, the Walmart cargo bag has straps that secure to the roof rack rails (front and back) and side straps that tie to side rails which I temporarily make by running broomsticks (Home Depot has these) along the sides of the roof rack. These broomsticks are attached to the roof rack rails with tie-downs. The tie-downs are about 18 inches long and look like bungy cord with a hook at each end.

I don't think bugs are too much of a problem because the material has give - bugs mainly just bounce off. If not, you could just wipe the bag off. Bugs aren't a problem. :1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone actually purchase and install the WeatherTech RackSack?
The dimension of the RackSack is 39" x 32", but the space between the cross bars of my MDX 03 is 24" x ~48". There is no way to fit the bag into there unless put it on top of the crossbars! Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Still wondering...

Has anyone tried the Rack Sack yet on an MDX? How about any other soft rooftop carriers? Going away this weekend and need some extra space!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I used the walmart brand last summer on my wife's blazer. It seemed like what we wanted was always on the bottom and I would have to unpack everything to get to it. Also, as I would take out stuff and not put it back in, the thing would flap around. It has to be full to work well. It was only water resistant so I would not want to use it in the winter, summer only. If used for light weight stuff like sleeping bags or soft items, it does work ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts