Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 MDX ADV RES. Having some weirdness with my external temp sensor. Frequently when the car is started after either being in a temp controlled garage or outside the external temp surges to 80+ degrees and causes the auto climate control to ramp up to max cooling until eventually (within 5 to 10 minutes) it goes back down to ambient and the climate control then settles down to normal. During the summer this obviously isn't an issue, however, it does this even during the winter which makes the car blow really cold air until the ambient sensor settles down. Asked the dealer about it (still under warranty) and their answer was to turn the auto climate control off...…. :ucrazy: Any ideas? Maybe just the sensor needs to be replaced or re-calibrated? Such a simple thing, but bugs the crap out of me and particularly my wife as it's her car.

·
Registered
713 Posts
14 & 15 SH-AWD. The sensor is in front of the radiator near the top as I recall. It reads ambient temp so if the garage is 60F then it should show around the same on the read out on the console between the tach and speedo. If you sit in traffic not moving it will go up from the radiator heat and that will throw the system off. If you start the car in the garage and idle it for a while to warm the car up before you get in it, the heat from the engine will cause it to be off. Its all in the owner's manual. You can calibrate it a couple degrees using the settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's not what this is. It shoots up to 80+ when first started in the garage when the ambient temp in the garage is 60. I don't warm the car up in the garage. As I back out of the garage and start to drive forward up the driveway it will shoot up to 90 and cause the AC to kick into high gear. 50ft further down the road it will get to ambient and the AC will settle down. Maybe I'll just try replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yeah, that's not what this is. It shoots up to 80+ when first started in the garage when the ambient temp in the garage is 60. I don't warm the car up in the garage. As I back out of the garage and start to drive forward up the driveway it will shoot up to 90 and cause the AC to kick into high gear. 50ft further down the road it will get to ambient and the AC will settle down. Maybe I'll just try replacing the sensor.

or check the connection for corrosion.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
So there's another thread on here but that rise in temp for a little bit is part of the car's calibration routine. Basically, you can only rely on the temp gauge after a few minutes of driving. This is why I leave my car off of AUTO mode and keep it at a set temp and fan speed all the time. Has been working fine this way for 5 year thus far.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I set mine on Auto and a particular temp (70) when I first bought it nearly 6 years ago and haven't touched it since and it works well at cooling and heating. I actually wasn't expecting it to work as well as it does.

I haven't paid enough attention to the ambient temp gauge to notice wild swings like the OP is experiencing but I normally don't bother with looking at it until I've driven for a couple of minutes since it needs air movement to really detect the ambient. I haven't had the behavior with blasting the a/c at startup on cold days as you described though. OTOH my MDX stays parked outside.

Has yours always done this or did it just start happening? If it just started happening then chances are good there's a sensor related issue - either the sensor or a cable issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts