Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my Exterior Temp Readout is slow to change first thing in the morning. Even coming out of the garage (where it's about 50) into a 75-degree day, the temp readout moves very slowly up to the much warmer outside temperature...sometimes taking as long as 15 minutes to read correctly.
Once it gets to the proper outside temp, it seems to have no problem registering changes at a normal rate.
Does my X need a cup of coffee first thing in the AM? Anyone else noticed this? It's not exactly a big problem, but when everything else on the car is pretty much perfect, you start to notice the little things.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought the exact same thing. I'd bet the actual "sensor" is not isolated from the bracket holding it...thus, the bracket's slow rise to current temp delays the sensor's ability to move up. Not a brilliant design.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ard,
If the exterior temp sensor's primary purpose is "to tell the PCM the temp of the air entering the intake," then its very slow rise to actual outside temperature is not just inaccurate, it may not be good for engine efficiency.
In the scenario where you leave a cold garage first thing in the morning and drive out into a 75-degree day, my sensor takes about 15-20 minutes to move up to the actual outside temp. So, presumably, it's telling my engine that the outside air it's gulping is a lot colder than it really is.
I don't know enough about the design to really comment on its brilliance, either...but, an asset of digital thermometers is their ability to register temperature changes almost instantly. Apparently mine doesn't do that. I'll ask my dealer at first service.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, frostyra, I've noticed that a trip to the car wash will paralyze the temp readout for at least a half-hour. The temperature probe must be situated in a spot that retains a little bit of water (or, in your case, ice).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.