Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been quoted $2,195 for the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty package. Is this inflated or the going rate?

D

·
0 Posts
Tap said:
I have been quoted $2,195 for the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty package. Is this inflated or the going rate?
There is standard broshure from Acura that has prices for all the warranties available. (at least in Canada). I remember that this warranty was about 1000K or 1500K Canadian $$ which should be cheaper in American

·
Registered
4 Posts
extended warranty

Check out Warranty Direct at http://www.warrantydirect.com. When I was waiting for my MDX to be delivered, I priced a 7 year- 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with them, and it was around $1600 if I remember correctly. From my research on the internet, they were recommended by a couple consumer web sites, and they're coverage was better than the dealer's package.

·
Registered
78 Posts
re: 3rd party extended warranties

I looked at the warrantydirect web site and got a quote for 7/100K extended coverage for considerably less than the Acura dealer. However, I read that GPS NAV systems are explicitly excluded from coverage. Is this true?

'01 MDX SS Nav/TP

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't bother with an extended warrenty. You bought a Honda/Acura product, not a Ford, GM or Chrysler. Anyways with an extended warrenty your like kinda betting that it will break down. Don't worry about anything. If you are still worried though put the money that you had for the extended warrenty into a bank account and save it for a repair if it is ever needed.

Just my opinion.

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
470 Posts
i picked up the extended warranty for 72mo/75000 mi for a grand total of $1998 US. i'm not worried about the reliability factor, just that i drive a disgusting amount every year, and for something to go wrong on a 1st year production vehicle could get pricey down the line.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also paid ~$2K for my extended warranty. That's right in between the invoice (~$1,800) and MSRP (~$2,200) for the MDX extended warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
extended warranty

We were quoted a price for the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty at just above $700 at Price Acura in Delaware. Ot was pretty tempting, but knowing the reliability of Japanese cars in general and Honda/Acura more specifically, we opted to bypass it. We've had Toyotas, Hondas and Mazdas that surpassed 150,000 without any major problems (then again we're pretty good about maintenance). We've had our beige touring MDX for almost 2 weeks now - just love it!!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have started a thread about 3 weeks ago with the same subject. I believe, Tim at HondAcuraworld as well as http://www.acurawarranty.com (both are Acura dealers) quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,600 US$ for 7year 100,000 miles no deductible. It appears to be a "genuine" AcuraCare maintenance contract, not an after-market one (does it really matter? ;-)) My dealer wants around $2,100 for it but I did not yet confront him with the above counter-offers.
I guess, just like any sort of "insurance", this is more for the "peace of mind" then for actual savings on future repairs. Then, again, MDX is in its 1st year....

·
Registered
18 Posts
i recommend that if you are going to get an extended warranty, you should definitely go with acura care because they are accepted at all acura dealers. If you go with another warranty you may have to pay up front for repairs and be reimbursed by other company while acuracare doesnt require any money becuase the dealer is paid by acura

·
Registered
83 Posts
I paid $1625 for an Acura extended warranty at 6 Years/100,000 miles from my dealer in Texas-Gunn Acura. It was gonna cost me $2000 for a 7 year/100,000 miles so I opted for the 6 year because I figuired that I would put 100,000 miles in 6 years and therefore save the $375 dollars minus one year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also took the 6 years/160 000 kms (100 000 miles) for about $1650 (CDN).

I believe this will help the resale value if I want to sell the truck within 5 years.

I don't think this money is lost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Extended warrantee is it worth it?

There is an old saying about insurance "when you need it you need it, when you dont you dont."

I was making a few calls today since I’ve received my VIN to get some quotes on insurance. I happen to get a flyer from my Credit Union telling me they have joined up w/GEICO for special discounts. I had GEICO several years ago until they no longer carried Home Owners insurance and were no longer competitive. But I figured what the heck, and made the call. After supplying all the usual information the operator begins telling me what is covered.

I was looking through some papers when I heard something like, "and yes, every thing is covered bumper to bumper for 7 years or 100K miles"… I stopped the shuffling and asked, "I’m sorry, could you repeat that?"

Geico has included in their auto policy what they call "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance." EVERYTHING is covered (except the normal items of fluids, tires…normal wear etc) for 7 years or 100K miles. I couldn’t believe this. My dealer had quoted me the $1,995. price just the day before …and I was gonna get it …. Not only is Geico’s policy (same coverage as I had w/Nationwide) $19.00 less than what Nationwide quoted me….they will save me $1,995.00 !!!!

I told the operator this just sounded too good to be true. When I asked my Nationwide agent about it - she hesitantly told me yes, this is true, but that they don’t offer it.

Just thought you’d like to know. I live in the NoVa area and don’t know if this is avail else where….but for you who have not taken that plunge yet and were thinking about that extended warrantee….might as well check them out. GEICO: 1-800-368-2734….. All the more to buy those accessories from Tim, my Dear!

One Week And Counting!!! She's due next week!

ps - You no longer have to be a government employee in order to qualify:)

pss - I've had extended warentee's on both my Acura's - am glad I did since I
do keep my cars up to and beyond 100K miles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Geico mechanical breakdown insurance

I assume Geico offers this additional coverage in all areas it offers auto insurance.. I've got it on my 98 Subaru Outback... Haven't had a need to use it yet (knock on wood)

When I got it back on my outback in 97, Geico allowed you to add it to your insurance policy during the first 11 months you own the new car.. so it's one less decision you have to make during the visit to pickup/pay for your new car...

·
Registered
763 Posts
GEICO lost its soul, IMHO...

Inspired by the latest 2 posts, I decided to give GEICO a call again.
A brief "intro" - I was "happily-insured" by them for the past 5 years. They quoted me a highly competitive rate in December for the upcoming MDX purchase. A few days later in early January, when I needed a binder to be faxed over to my dealer, they raised the price by 30 % while the previous quote misteriously disappeared. :( Needless to say, I called my Allstate home insurance agent and he stuck to the original quote he gave me (appr. $50 more than original GEICO, but now a full $300 less)

With my policy due for renewal in a couple of days at an even LOWER!!! premium (I love Allstate now!), but eager to save 1K + on extended warranty, I called Geico and they still quoted me about $400 (!!!) :( more per 6 months than Allstate. BTW, their warranty is about $20 per 6 months (40*7 = $280 for its lifetime :))

Also, to bring this discussion back to AcuraCare vs After-Market Warranty, read a comment in Off-Topic folder about a problem one of our members had with a Mitsubishi service dept. and a third-party (I assume, it was 3rd party) warranty. Yeah, yeah, I know, that's Mitsu, this is ACURA, THE LUXURY BRAND! :) Do you really believe it would be any different?

I will purchase AcuraCare 7/75 very soon. Still need to decide between Tim and AcuraWarranty.com The latter would not charge me tax (almost a $100 savings), but Tim's reputation does not need introduction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yikes!! Now you're making me nervous.

Wondering, did you call GEICO back and
ask what they were thinking about?? A $300
difference simply does not make sense.

What did you mean when you said their warranty
is $20 per 6 months? Does 'one' have the
option of not having the warranty included? Or
is that their estimated cost incorporated into the
bottom line figure?

Is purchasing the warranty from Tim or AcuraWarranty.com
Less expensive than buying from your dealer? My dealer
didn't mention/offer anything other than 7/100K.

Sorry for all the questions… I think I'm going to give my
dealer a call and see how they respond. Why I'm at it, I
might as well call Allstate too:rolleyes:

Thanks, B

·
Registered
763 Posts
3xAcura said:
Yikes!! Now you're making me nervous.

Wondering, did you call GEICO back and
ask what they were thinking about?? A $300
difference simply does not make sense.
They told me that since they cannot locate the original quote they cannot explain the difference. They price they quote me now is THE PRICE.

What did you mean when you said their warranty
is $20 per 6 months? Does 'one' have the
option of not having the warranty included? Or
is that their estimated cost incorporated into the
bottom line figure?
I am not 100% sure how exactly it works, but IMO the answer is YES. If you insure your NEW car with them from day 1, you can have that thing added or not for $19/6 months (in NY. Other places may have different rates)

Is purchasing the warranty from Tim or AcuraWarranty.com
Less expensive than buying from your dealer? My dealer
didn't mention/offer anything other than 7/100K.
Read the original posts in this thread as well as do some searching - there are other discussions about this.
Also, go to that web site (www.acurawarranty.com) and see for yourself. There are various combinations of years and mileage as well as a choice of no-deductible or $50-deductible. Tim's prices are very similar to the ones you will see on that site. Remember, unlike parts and accessories, Tim does not sell warranty himself, another person (people) in his dealership do.
As an example, 7/100 no-ded is around $1,600 (I think). My dealer wanted $2,100 non-negoatiable. Well, his loss. Some members on this forum said that their dealers matched or even beat the prices on that web site.
Sorry for all the questions… I think I'm going to give my
dealer a call and see how they respond. Why I'm at it, I
might as well call Allstate too:rolleyes:

Thanks, B

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Vip9

I did some checking: The acurawarranty.com at $1,475 for 7/100 certainly
beats dealer cost ($1600). I emailed Tim to see what he'd offer.
I have a cousin who works for Acura...Left a message for him asking if the
GEICO coverage would be a problem. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Updates as they occur:cool:

B

·
Registered
19 Posts
WarrantyByNet

$2195 is way too much.

Here is the quote from Warrantybynet.com for our 2001 MDX w/Nav (No touring). 2 weeks after the quote I got an email offering another $25 off.

We also got a quote from AAA for $1200 for 6/100 and our dealer wanted $1695 for the Acura 6/100.

We decided against the extended warranty, deeming 4/50 enough for our needs.

---------------------------------------------

Peak Advantage Series:
5 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 50,000 miles on the odometer: $596.00. 5 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 75,000 miles on the odometer: $794.00. 6 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 80,000 miles on the odometer: $839.00. 6 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 100,000 miles on the odometer: $985.00. 7 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 80,000 miles on the odometer: $854.00.

Premier Advantage Series:
5 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 50,000 miles on the odometer: $649.00. 5 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 75,000 miles on the odometer: $909.00. 6 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 80,000 miles on the odometer: $924.00. 6 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 100,000 miles on the odometer: $1,059.00. 7 additional years or when your vehicle has a total of 80,000 miles on the odometer: $939.00.

Our standard deductible is $50. If you would like a $0 deductible, please add $65 to the above quoted prices. Don't forget to ask your consultant about our Flex-Deductible Program.

Our programs begin 30 days and 1,000 miles from the date of enrollment, and will expire in 5, 6, or 7 years from the enrollment date, or when your odometer reaches the total mileage of the plan you select.

We offer all of our customers who enroll in our extended warranty program a FREE MEMBERSHIP in our Emergency Roadside Assistance Program at no additional cost. This membership is for the LIFE OF YOUR SERVICE PLAN. Please visit http://www.warrantybynet.com/roadside.asp for details.

----------------------
PEAK ADVANTAGE SERIES
----------------------

1. ENGINE-engine block, cylinder head(s), cylinder barrels, timing cover, valve cover(s) and oil pan are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part listed below. The following internal lubricated parts are covered: Pistons, wrist pins and rings, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, camshaft, lifters, followers and cam bearings, rocker arms, push rods, shafts and bushings, valves, springs, replaceable guides, seats, timing gear and chain, timing chain or belt and tensioners, eccentric shaft, oil pump, water pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, engine mounts and cushions, engine torque strut, harmonic balancer, flywheel/flex plate and ring gear, dip stick and filler tube. Also covered is the internal lubricated parts: rotary engines, rotary chamber, main bearing, rotor, and the parts listed above of the vehicle manufacturer installed turbocharger or supercharger. The housing is only covered by the failure of an internal lubricated part. For vehicles with rotary engin

es the following is covered: rotary chamber, main bearing, rotor, and the parts listed above.

2. TRANSMISSION-transmission case, transfer case and torque converter case are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. All parts contained within the case including the following internal lubricated parts are covered: oil pump, valve body, governor, vacuum modulator, internal linkage, bearings, gear sets, bands, main shaft, drum, sealing rings, dip stick and filler tube.

3. DRIVE AXLE-differential housing, transaxle housing and final drive housing only if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. All parts contained within the housing including the following internal lubricated parts are covered: Axle shafts, gear sets, bearings, constant velocity joints (CV), universal joints, drive shaft, locking hubs and rings, supports and retainers.

4. ELECTRICAL-starter and solenoid, alternator, voltage regulator, distributor, main wiring harness, manually operated switches, wiper motors, gauges, window motors, rear window defroster, mirror motors, seat motors, convertible top motor, power door lock actuators, cruise control-transducer, servo and engagement switch, combination turn signal switch, horn(s) and horn button, wiper delay switch and controller, washer pump, sun/moon roof motor and manual switch, front differential engagement switch and motor.

5. STEERING-gear housing is covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. All parts contained within the steering rack/gear housing are covered including the following: rack and pinion, power steering pump, power cylinder, main and intermediate shafts, couplings, cooler and cooler hard lines, pitman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends.

6. AIR CONDITIONING-Compressor, clutch, clutch coil, and clutch pulley, condensor, condensor fan motor, evaporator, POA valve, accumulator, orifice, temperature control programmer, power module, high/low cut off switch, pressure cycling switch, receiver-drier.

7. SUSPENSION-upper and lower control arms, control arm, shafts and bushings, upper and lower ball joints, steering knuckles, wheel bearings, stabilizer shaft, linkage and bushings, king pins and bushings, spindle and support, torsion bars, leaf springs, coil springs.

8. BRAKES-Anti Lock Brake System (ABS) wheel sensors, its pump and pressure control module, master cylinder, power assist-booster pump, vacuum assist booster, wheel cylinders, combination valve (proportioning valve), steel hydraulic lines and fittings, brake calipers and rear actuators, backing plates, springs, clips, self adjusters, parking brake linkage, and cables.

9. ELECTRONIC HIGH TECH-Level control compressor, its sensors and limiter valve. Pneumatic suspension pump, its sensors and valves. Ignition module, spark control detonation sensors and controller, anti-detonation sensors, driver information display (excluding audio and navigational readouts), moisture control unit and sensors, vehicle manufacturer-installed combination entry system and anti theft device including transmitter. Power antenna motor.

10. FUEL DELIVERY-mechanical and electric fuel pump, fuel tank sending unit, fuel injection pump or diesel fuel distributor, fuel tank, metal fuel lines, fuel injectors, fuel injection sensors and control module.

11. HEATING & COOLING-radiator and mounts, fan, fan clutch, fan blade, electric fan motor(s), and controller, coolant recovery unit, heater core, AC/heater blower motor.

12. BODY & INTERIOR-bumper energy absorbers, hood latch and cable, trunk latch assembly, door latches and hinges, seat tracks, shift lever mechanism and cable, speedometer head and cable, steering wheel, storage box and glove box hinge and latch, cigarette lighter, ashtray, vehicle manufacturer supplied wheels and jack assembly.

13. AUDIO/VIDEO-vehicle manufacturer installed radio compact disc/cassette player, graphic equalizer, power antenna motor, video cassette and disc players, video monitors.

14. SEALS AND GASKET COVERAGE-All seals and gaskets for the specific covered components listed are covered, as either an individual repair or in conjunction with the repair of a covered component.

15. TAXES AND FLUIDS-Also covered are state and local taxes where applicable and fluids to complete a covered repair.

------------------------
PREMIER ADVANTAGE SERIES
------------------------

Our Premier Advantage Series is the most comprehensive coverage available. It covers EVERYTHING on the vehicle except the components listed below:

Mechanical:
Service adjustments, reprogramming and cleaning, alignment, refrigerant, coolant, lubricants, filters, fluids, batteries, belts, (except timing belt and serpentine belt subject to maintenance replacement), hoses, thermostats, filters, PCV, ignition coil, ignition wires, spark/glow plugs, EGR valve and oxygen sensors, tune up, wiper blades, tires, wheels, wheel balancing or alignment, MacPherson struts, shock absorbers, disc brake pads and rotors, brake shoes and drums, manual clutch disc/pressure plate and throw out bearing, fuses, light bulbs, sealed beams and lenses, exhaust systems including catalytic converter, air conditioning recharge, shop supplies, freight, and hazardous waste removal charges. Repairs to retrofit, reprogram (except in conjunction with a covered repair), or replace components due to compliance with any law or legislation. Repairs to seized or damaged engines due to continued operation without sufficient lubricants or coolants. NOTE: It is your responsibility to make certain that the o

il and temperature warning lights/gauges are functioning properly. You must take precautions against causing any further damage to your vehicle when either the lights/gauges indicate inadequate protection or performance.

Interior/Exterior:
Service adjustments, reprogramming and cleaning (except when necessary for a covered repair), alignment, glass body structure and frame, bright metal, bumpers, sheet metal, moldings, weatherstrips, ornamentation, paint, rust, corrosion, side view mirrors, squeaks and wind, air, and water leaks, wheel covers, vinyl tops, convertible tops, buttons, knobs and handles, upholstery, trim, carpeting, dash pad and console, interior rear view mirror, vanity mirror, cellular phones, CB radios, radar detectors, non manufacturer installed equipment including anti-theft system, radios, cassette/CD players, graphic equalizers, amplifiers and speakers, TV, CD and video cassette players and monitors.

Tire damage caused by (a.) abnormal wear caused by misalignment; (b.) any tire with less than 3/32 inch tread depth; (c.) rim leaks, porosity leaks, or misuse caused by underinflation; (d.) loss to space saver, factory second type, retread or recapped tires (e.) reimbursement for towing, wheel alignment, wheel straightening, wheel balancing, suspension repair, or replacement for components that are not listed as covered under this Agreement.

Everything else on the vehicle is covered.

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AND COVERAGE INCLUDED

SEALS AND GASKET COVERAGE-All seals and gaskets are covered.

TAXES AND FLUIDS-State and local taxes where applicable and fluids to complete a covered repair.

ROAD HAZARD / TIRE COVERAGE-Original vehicle manufacturer installed tires properly mounted on the covered vehicle. Reimbursement is based on the price of the original tire as delivered on the covered vehicle. Covered damage is defined as any damage caused by road hazard.

-------------------------------------
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR BOTH PROGRAMS
-------------------------------------

RENTAL:
In the event of a covered breakdown or failure our administrator will reimburse you for actual expenses incurred for substitute transportation at the maximum daily rate of $35.00 per day, not to exceed 6 days. One day's rental shall be allowed for each four (4) hours, or portion thereof, of actual repair labor time as listed in a nationally recognized labor time standard. If a physical inspection of your vehicle is required prior to claim authorization, we will allow one additional day of rental reimbursement. A substitute vehicle must be rented from a licensed rental agency.

TOWING AND ROAD SERVICE:
See details on our Emergency Roadside Assistance Program at http://www.warrantybynet.com/roadside.asp

TRAVEL EXPENSE:
In the event of a covered breakdown or failure our administrator will reimburse you for up to $100.00 per day for a period not to exceed five (5) days for restaurant meals and lodging that you incur for staying at a hotel/motel when your vehicle can not be operated and is more than 100 miles from your home. Meals and lodging are required because the breakdown causes a delay en route and the day of the breakdown is considered the first day of the five (5) day period. The expense that you incur must be between the time of breakdown and the time when the repairs are completed or by the end of the fifth day. Receipts are required as evidence of expenses incurred.

Important Notice:
The contents above do not constitute the contract. The coverage in its entirety is included in the vehicle service agreement. Be sure to read your policy for benefit limitations, exclusions, terms, and conditions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
3xAcura said:
Thanks Vip9

I did some checking: The acurawarranty.com at $1,475 for 7/100 certainly
beats dealer cost ($1600). I emailed Tim to see what he'd offer.
I have a cousin who works for Acura...Left a message for him asking if the
GEICO coverage would be a problem. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Updates as they occur:cool:

B

3X - make sure you compare apples with apples. Do not forget about a deductible - I think that web site quotes prices for a $50-deductible and tells you to add $100-$150 for no deductible. Tim already quoted us his prices either in Accessories or in Group Buys folders.

I would most likely opt for "genuine" AcuraCare for 2 reasons: I plan to have this car serviced by a dealer only and hope (pray) that they are a little more "friendly" with their brand-name. Another reason, Acura TLC gets extended till the end. Some of us found out that TLC actually stands for Total Lack of Care :(, but it's still better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
26 Participants
wasjr
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing