Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post.

I ordered the MDX (silver w/touring) back in last Nov. I was told that it would be ready 2 weeks from now.

I am considering the extended warranty, but it is pretty expensive as quoted from the dealer, 2000 for 7/75K, and 2300 for 7/100K.

I looked through the previous threads on this subject, and seemed noone reported such a high price.

Is the dealer trying to take advantage of the situation to make a lot of money, or is this a fair price now?

Need some advice to make the decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I picked up my MDX 2 weeks ago. I paid $1525 for 7yrs 100K, 0 deductable with Acura Care. I know they try to charge more, and I know you can beat them down in price.

I did not get the warranty when I first signed the papers, because I wanted to think about it. When I picked up my car 2 days later, a different finance person was going to write me up, and she quoted me $400 more. I told her what the other finance person quoted me for the warranty and she said ok, and that I got a good deal.

I hope this helps.

Ira

·
Registered
9 Posts
SUVMom,

We paid about $1650 for a 7yr/100k warranty back in April 2001 for our 2001 MDX. We found out later that many dealers will negotiate on this item to conclude an otherwise done deal.

Your dealership is trying to extract more money out of you. Don't let them! The prices you're being quoted are ridiculously high!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can I buy one from another Acura dealer now I get my car if I started to see some quote from this site? The warranty was not even mentioned when I bought my 'X. At the time of purchase, it was (and still kind of is) to my liking. I did not want the sales to start selling me other stuff.. that I don't need. I heard that I can buy this within 12 months?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Try www.acurawarranty.com - I think it's an arm of one of the Acura dealerships in NJ. They have the best "regular" prices I've seen/heard of. They used to be a little more "user-friendly", now they ask you for your email and stuff, but eventually give you a quote. The only way to get a better price would be if your dealer is willing to take a "loss" :rolleyes: on the MSRP deal or Acura has a "sale" - which I did not hear of.

Another great thing about that web site is (at least was before they changed it) that you can actually read that contract - it is really a far cry from a bumper-to-bumper coverage, but certainly is better than nothing.

A good thing thing about true AcuraCare contract vs a 3rd party one is that it extends Acura TLC, roadside assistance, etc fr the duration.

I also think that based on the web site's info you have upto 2 years or 24K miles from the purchase date to get this warranty for the "starting" price. Anything after that and the price goes up.

And the last great thing - no sales tax unless you are in NJ. But if you are, that's not your biggest problem anyway :) (sorry, couldn't help)

·
Registered
617 Posts
extended warranty- does it bundled with free scheduled maintenance?(oil change, tire rotation, etc)The reason I asked is the dealer here offered me with it. I forgot the price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank, vip9! Great info!!
Even though I'm a N-Jersean and need to add one more tax(damn it), but it's good to know that I still have plenty of time to think about and get it without any additional charges by the end of 2-years period.

It also appears to me as a "Genuine Acura" thing, so it might be hard(if not impossible) to find a better deal.

·
Registered
763 Posts
acurawarranty.com

It appears that their price went up by about $100. I am not sure if that's because my car is 1 year old - it does say upto 24 mo/ 24K miles... Weird... Still better than what my dealer wanted by about $500.

·
Registered
715 Posts
vip....and the best part is that the warranty agreement on www.acurawarranty.com prints out in bold writing that you don't need a magnifying glass to read. True, they ask you for email address, then ask you for your name and phone number, which I found intrusive, but I just put in a fake name and number and got the quote anyway.

I still will wait on getting the warranty....the $$ difference between buying at 24 months and buying at 48 months is only $125 bucks.

Is an extended warranty worth it?....well, my ABS went out on my Lexus ($2500 dealer quote to fix), my rear differential was replaced ($2000 dealer quote to fix) and my sunroof stripped it gears ($2500 dealer quote to fix).

Seems like $1600 for an extra 3 years after the mfg warranty expires make sense.;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
octavian - I'm with you!
If nothing is gonna change, waiting at least 2 more years makes sense! The only question is - is it guaranteed that we'll have the same conditions at that time? On the other hand, we have 4 years covered anyway already and you can almost double the money by investing them(assuming we'll have modest 15% per year) so you'd have about $3200 by the end of 4th year. Is it common to have such big problems with J. car(especially as reliable as Honda-Acura's) so you'd spend these money for repairs during another 3 years? I do not think so, but it's possible, so you can always buy a 'piece of mind" as an extended warranty by the time 'main' one expires. I'm sure though that quotes wouldn't be the same, but significantly higher(depending on mileage and, possibly, repairs history aka - car's health). I think that's why vip9 got higher premium after a year, - they said "no additional surcharges" before 2/24,000, not that the quote is guaranteed to stay flat. In fact they say it may be different after 7 days.

·
Registered
715 Posts
dfroim, yup, no one has convinced me that I get anything of real value by signing up 4 years before the extended warranty goes into effect.

guaranteed loaners (RL-class, not the Integras I get!), free car washes anytime, free detailing, preferred service hours/timeframes would be a good start...;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am happily surprised by so many replies to my first post.

When I confronted the dealer with all the lower prices quoted on this board, he argued that his extended warranty was "bumper to bumper".

I went to both Acura Care and Acurawarranty websites, but to find both of them were not exactly "bumper to bumper".

Does anyone have an experience what a real "bumper to bumper" extended warranty costs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I paid $895 for mine. 7Yrs/100K, Bumper-Bumper (New Car Warranty). I do not think it is an Acura extended warranty, but it includes everything included in TLC and says that the this extends the new car warranty for the duration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was quoted $2195 for 7y/100K and then was offered a $200 discount to $1995. Did not opt for warranty, but felt I could have negotiated lower if I wanted it. MDX delivered 1/09/02.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
best price on extended warranty

there is a dealer in springfield new jersey that operates a web site acura and honda extended warranties they are the cheapest and it is same warranty that you purchase at your local dealer 7/100,000 $0 deductable is $1700 and the others are even cheaper email me if you can't find i had put a link at another post on this web site:D
there's another one in peabody new jersey that is very cheap and you can purchase on the telepnone both are authorized acura dealers that purchase warranties in bulk for sale. my local dealer wanted $2475 for the same warranty!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the information!

I took delivery yesterday. Since I knew from this board that my dealer charged too much for extended warranty, I did not even mention it with the finance guy.

He was the one trying to sell it and offered to lower the price. Finally, I paid $1399 for a 7/75K 0-deductible, $600 lower than what he quoted intially.

Although it may not be the lowest price in the market, but I am happy with it.

I want to thank everyone again for the information, which helped me to get an acceptable price.

·
Registered
715 Posts
mom, good for you. If you are happy I am happy. (though I wouldn't have bought the warranty, for the reasons previously posted),;)

However, isn't it great to get ideas and opinions from so many people on this site to help you in your decision process? AND save you a few buckeroos!

Best of luck to you and enjoy your newbie!:D Pics! Pics!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
While TODAY they offer an extended warranty for 36000 miles that is only $125 (or whatever) more than the price for 'less than 12000 miles'...

what if in 15 months Acura no longer offers the extended warranty for anything other than new vehicles.

or finds out that the VTM4 has a high failure rate, and eliminates the MDX from the program...

Just food for thought. I'm about ready to buy a 6/100. I have 25+k on it, in 15 months. Had I bought it new I'd have opted for the 7 yr, but now realize I will be at 100 by year 5 (or so).

Ard

·
Registered
715 Posts
aarvarkus....your scenarios are theoretically possible, but unlikely. Sounds like a forced sale thru intimidation by Acura in those cases.

Eliminate the MDX from the program? Who would want to buy a new one?

Eliminate the tranny from coverage? Who would continue to own one?

And who is to say that Acura, or someone else, would come up with a BETTER coverage plan?

Again, I am not saying the EW is not necessarily worth it. I still find no compelling reason to buy prior to the expiration of the original factory warranty, assuming I still have the MDX.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
octavian
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing