Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Did any of you purchase an extended warranty for your MDX from Hondacuraworld or from AcuraWarranty.com? (without actually buying a car from the corresponding Acura dealerships behind them)
If you did buy the warranty, is it a "real" AcuraCare (or whatever the name is) contract? Did any of your dealers agreed to match those prices? The prices I get from them are at least 25% better than what my dealer wants.

If you bought a warranty from your dealer, what was your price? The above 2 places quote app. $1100/$1600 for 0- deductible 7year-75K/7year-100K.

Did you pay sales tax on the warranty purchase (especially from either of those 2 places?)
Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased the 5 year/100k mile Acura warranty from the dealer for $1200. Two other dealers quoted me $1900 for the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased the 7 year/75k mile Acuracare warranty from the dealer when I picked up my Mdx for $1350, but they charge me Tax $111.38. Is warranty taxable? or not?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why in the world would anyone need an extended warranty for a 'Honda' product? Heck, even Ford's quality is good enough to not need it!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
dancall said:
Why in the world would anyone need an extended warranty for a 'Honda' product? Heck, even Ford's quality is good enough to not need it!
Nobody's perfect. My Integra's transmission gave out at 26k, and had to be totally replaced (under the original warranty). At 65k the HVAC system failed and took some other components with it, and that failure cost more than the price of the extended warranty that we actually had.

An MDX subsystem failure could be very expensive to repair.

No doubt that many Honda products will never need a repair under the extended warranty. But some of us like having the protection against an unplanned financial spike of a post-original-warranty failure. And, realistically, we're buying first-year model vehicles here, and the MDX has not been quite as bullet-proof as a first-year Accord (it's a complicated product!).

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Another Place for Acuracare Extended Warranties

Competition is great.

Check http://www.acurawarranty.com too. For an Acuracare extended warranty, they quote 7/75k for $980 and 7/100k for $1,475, both with $50 deductibles. $0 deductible is an additional $175/$225, respectively.

5-year, 100k w/$50 deductible is $965. Add $175 for $0 deductible.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I agree with wmquan, even though Acura is good this is a first year vehicle. However, my question is if it is necessary to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase or can one wait till the original one is about to expire. I was able to do exactly this with my 1994 Subaru SVX so does anyone know if Acura/Honda has the same policy?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'll give you the "first year" thing but we've got a 40k warranty, correct? If it doesn't fail in 40k, it's likely it won't bust. (We call that ELF, Early Life Failure). Hey it's just my opinion. I'm not bashing, I'm just curious on your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
When to Buy Extended Warranty

No, one does not have to purchase an extended warranty when they buy the vehicle. You can purchase the extended warranty at any point up to the expiration of the original warranty, or very close to the expiration.

So if one doesn't know if they're going to keep the vehicle past the initial warranty period, they can put it off. It may make more financial sense to do so, depending on your circumstances. Though some like to finance the price of he extended warranty as part of the vehicle purchase.

If you look at http://www.acurawarranty.com (which is really just a dealership selling the extended warranties), they quote different prices for different "ages" of the vehicle, up to the point of expiration of the vehicle.

Basically, as an example, the 7/100 warranty is $1,475 with a $50 deductible if you buy within the first 24/24,000 miles, but if you buy after 36/36,000, and before 48/50,000, it will cost $1,595.

I am not quite sure if these "upticks" in price as the vehicle ages is a legitimate Acura/Honda finance price, or just a way of the dealers to scale the prices up to encourage extended warranty purchase simultaneous to the vehicle purchase. Of course, the price of the warranty may rise, but some pushy finance managers will try to make it sound worse than it may be to get the immediate commission.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
dancall said:
I'll give you the "first year" thing but we've got a 40k warranty, correct? If it doesn't fail in 40k, it's likely it won't bust. (We call that ELF, Early Life Failure). Hey it's just my opinion. I'm not bashing, I'm just curious on your thoughts.
Nah, we know you're not bashing. No doubt that if a vehicle fails a lot in the first 4/50k we have, it makes sense to get the extended warranty or, better yet, dump it.

However, with my previous Integra, I doubt if the transmission failure at 26k was anyway related to the HVAC failure at 65k. The latter failure probably would have still occurred even if the first one did not.

Of course, having had the first failure made me more conducive to buying the extended warranty just before the original warranty expired.

That's one of the nice things about the AcuraCare extended warranty. Some manufacturers' ones force you to buy within the first year or upon purchase of the car. With some, you figure that their vehicles aren't too reliable so they don't want to sell extended warranties to people who realize they're "in for it!"

The AcuraCare warranty isn't perfect, though. Some third-party warranties let you "sell it back" if you don't end up entering the extended warranty period, or get a pro-rated refund if you sell the car during the extended warranty period. Of course, that's if the extended warranty company is still in business when that time comes!

The AcuraCare warranty is transferrable to another individual in a private sale, but it can't be transferred back to a dealer to transfer to a trade-in's buyer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
WMQUAM, Honestly I didn't even consider the extended warranty and told my dealer up front that I didn't want it so I know literally nothing about it. How does Acura extended warranties work? Can I buy one later? How long do you have before you 'must' purchase an extended warranty?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Danny

Check the "When to Buy Extended Warranty" message three messages above this one for answers to your questions. Hope it helps; it's totally up to you whether or not you want to buy one. Personally, I'm going to wait until the fourth year and make a decision then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
7 years 100.000 miles for $1290?. And not only that, they told me that your car can be repair in any local shop in your area or the Acura dealer.1-800-257-1AAA. And is transferable

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Agree and Disagree

dancall said:
Let me say first off that I SOMEWHAT agree with you on the "Extended Warranty is not needed on Honda Product" reasoning. Actually I didn't get an extended warranty on any of my previous car purchases: 2 Toyota Corollas - a 1994 and a 1998, A 2000 Acura 3.2TL and Nissan Maxima well before that. However with the MDX there is a good possibility I might get one - but there reasons both in favor of getting it as well as to not get it.
Reasons to get the extended warranty:
First, It's not only a first year model, but first-of-it's-kind product for Honda, Second, it's related to the Honda Odyssey which has had some very un-Honda-like reliability problems in it's first and second years. Besides (for me personally) I'm a very high mileage driver and plan to put close to 200,000 miles in the 5 to 6 years I would own the MDX, and so would be more concerned with the long-term DURABILITY than any immediate quality concerns.
Reasons to not get it:
All other Acura models have had an exceptionally good reliability rating ever since the company started in 1985 and the parent company Honda, in general, is known for making very high quality products with extremely good reliability and bulletproof durability.

However I totally disagree that Ford makes quality vehicles. All American vehicles are plain TRASH (I'm not bashing either - just stating facts) and Ford stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily" !! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
At $1290 its only 1.2 cents a mile or $15 and change per month for 7 years. For peace of mind...why not? I bought one on my Blazer for 5 yr and/or 70K mi. Initially it cost more than Acura's and it's paid for itself at least twice! I can think of dumber ways to spend money. (Like buying a Chevy in the first place! Uh...I'm bashing...sorry)

·
Registered
45 Posts
A horror story about a third party extended warrantee purchase

Here’s a post from the Audiworld site. While it does not fit with the part of the conversation here that discusses buying an extended warrantee, it does tell a horror story about a third party extended warrantee purchase.

More details about my encounter with 1sourceautowarranty.com
Here are the problems I got with my car:
When I purchased my car about 1.5 months ago, I drove it almost cross country without any problems. It had 60,705 miles on it.
It had its 60k service before I bought the car, and the audi dealer manager I spoke to said they didn't notice ANY problem with the car.
Then at 62,450 miles or 4 days ago,

1. Airbag light went on.
2. I noticed that I saw a drop of oil in my garage.
3. The morning I brought my car in, the engine died on my while I was at a stop light, so I figured that I have them look into it too.

My service dept. diagnosed that
1. the car needed a new driver's-side side airbag.
2. The oil pan was leaking
3. the car needed to have the MAF sensor looked at, dont' know exact problem yet.
4. The car will need new tie-rods.

1sourceautowarranty sent someone out to look at the car and noted that the oil pan had a crack, and likely was pre-existing. I personally didn't even notice a drop of oil until few days ago, but who knows.

Based on that, they decided that the car was misrepresented to them, and the car did have previous problem, and denied ALL my claims.

To be fair, one of the item which I didn't notice was worn tie-rods, which I can understand is a pre-sale condition. In that case, they don't have to pay for that. But new problems that came up which I purchased the insurance for, they sure didn't stand behind.

Even the whole service department at my local Audi dealership had a full day of discussion about this. Their conclusion is that they are telling all their customers to avoid 1sourceautowarranty.com. My service manager could not believe what an outright fraud 1sourceautowarranty practices.

Again, I have proof that my car was in fine condition when I bought the car from another Audi dealership. 1sourceautowarranty just don't want to even hear about it-- it's like talking to a 3 year old who screams "la la la" with his ears covered. Their claims manager was not interested in receiving my fax on pre-purchase condition from the Audi dealership. Nor were they interested in talking to the previous service manager who last serviced that car at 60k without problems, when the service manager told me to have 1sourceautowarranty talk to them.

The claims manager said that how is it possible that all these problems just happen like that. What can I say. I got bad luck with my used car, that's why I bought the insurance when I purchased a used car, and I expect them to stand behind their clams.

According to them, I suppose anything can be a "presale condition" when it comes to a used car. As long as they believe that the problem could have existed way back, they can deny your claim just like that. Despite whatever proof you have.

Consumers needs to be more protected.

I have cancelled my insurance with them, because in my mind, it is as good as spending the 2k insurance premium on the repairs that comes up later. Besides, you won't have to waste your time talking to incompetent and rude claims people. And when I say rude, that is no exaggeration. One of their rep answered the phone as "This is Mike". I had to ask if this is "1sourceautowarranty.com claims dept", and his attitude was "no duh?" When I inquired about why the claim was denied, I counted 14 times, when he just repeated "It's denied, and there is nothing you can do to change that." It's like talking to a monkey. How would anyone like to deal with that?

Consumers be very, very aware when you shop for extended warranty. I made my mistake with buying from 1sourceautowarranty.com, and I hope no one else will.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good post, Vicpai. Believe it or not, I had a Bronco II & Ford Explorer which had good quality and an Expedition which had Excellent Quality. (It sounds like you have the same feeling toward Fords that I do Chevy and GM). I've owned multiple Ford's over my life and always had good luck. However, I can't say very much for their resale value. That's one reason that I bought an MDX. I wanted a vehcicel that has a chance to be worth "something" after 5 years of driving and 100k miles.

Having said that, in my previous post I wasn't stating that Ford had as good a quality history as Acura / Honda only that even "their" quality made it unnessecary to buy the extended warranty. It is likely that I have been lucky but...those warranties had to be bought up front..which sucked in my opinion.

Based on the good posts and info here, I may consider a warranty down the road, but at this point I'm fine without it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most consumer mags strongly advise against the extended warrenties. The first and most cynical reason is that they wouldn't be offerred if those offerring them weren't absolutely sure they would be earning money off them.
As I read the extended warranty conditions ( I freely admit I might be missing something here), it does not include items currently under original manufacturer warranty. The MDX has a 50,000 mile, 4 yr warranty, therefore I would assume that your $1250 spent won't kick in for 4 years unless your driving much more than 12,500 m/yr (which I'm sure many people do.)
There are many principles of risk in economic terms, one being risk of opportunity. This risk would be that your $1250 sitting in a CD at 5% compounded interest for 7 years would be worth $1758 at the end of the 7 year term (conservative investment.) The first 4 years of the contract are absoultely worthless to you if you're an average driver. Even if you are nailed with a warranty repair in excess of $1758 in years 5 thru 7, you've still sufferred a loss of opportunity. Even if you subscribe to the school of though that 'I would have spent the money on something else anyway and not invested it' you still lost THAT opportunity to spend you money on that something else.
I don't buy them. That's just MHO.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Concerning extended warranties, yes we as dealers make a profit on them, usually a $100 or $200 profit. As a salesperson I don't get paid on them so it does not benefit me. My opinion is; I like them and I buy them for myself. I don't buy them for computers, camera's etc., but they have saved me alot of money in the past on my cars. I was just short of the 7 years by two weeks when the head went on my Subaru, almost 3000 dollars and it was all taken care of. Acura makes a better product but with all the electronics in these cars today and the fact man still makes them I always feel better when my customers have them. Just make sure you get the factory authorized ones. there are to many loop holes in some of the after market ones. Just do your homework and get a fair price.
Roger
http://www.acurapricing.com

1 - 20 of 43 Posts