Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took possession of a 2014 MDX, Adv/Ent package
It currently has 31k miles on it.
The dealer tried selling so hard on a extended warranty 7yr/100k miles for 2150.
I was not comfortable & did not opt for it

Dealer said: Extended warranty is much better than original bumper to bumper warranty, as 4yr/50k warranty is only limited & does not cover everything like how the extended warranty covers. Is this true?

Question:
Is it advisable to take an extended warranty now? my original factory warranty expires on 3/2018

If I end up shopping around and taking an extended warranty, does the extended warranty kick in as of now or will it start from the day original warranty expires?

Finally what is a good price point for a 7yr/100k miles? or is there something like a 8yr/xxx miles?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Your 4/50,000 basic is bumper-to-bumper covers any repairs that are not normal wear/tear like tires, wipers, brake pads, filters, etc... The 4/50,000 would cover any TSB repairs that needed to be applied also. The 4/50,000 basic starts when the MDX was sold, lease, or place into operation as a dealership loaner vehicle. If you call the Acura warranty folks with the VIN, you can find out exactly when the 4/50,000 will end. You still have until that end date to purchase an Acura Care extended warranty on-line out of state or from your local dealership. The good thing about out of state on-line purchase is you don't have to pay local sales tax and that can save you $200-$300 extra buck on a quoted price.

You still have the 6/70,000 miles powertrain, safety/recall TSB, and any current or future factory extended warranties that will be applied first before the Acura Care warranty. The max coverage I've seen was 5 additional years or 120,000 miles above the 4/50k.

I don't know what your sales person was smoking? Acura Care warranties are more limited compared to the factory 4/50,000 basic. You are limited to Acura dealerships and some Honda dealerships if the Acura dealerships at too far away.

I ended up getting the max Acura Care warranty for my 11 MDX Adv/Ent because of the magnetic struts/shocks. I had a front strut failure at 35K that was covered under basic warranty. Out of pocket $$$ for future out of warranty replacements would cost me $800-$1200 per corner and $2390 Acura Care up to 2019 or 120,000 miles seemed like a safe bet a few years ago. Acura just offered a factory extended 100,000 miles warranty for the 07-13 MDX/ZDX magnetic suspension. I only come out ahead if my magnetic ride craps out between 100K-120K and what is the chance of that happening (now have 85K on my MDX).

Reactions: clac

·
Registered
837 Posts
So I took possession of a 2014 MDX, Adv/Ent package
It currently has 31k miles on it.
The dealer tried selling so hard on a extended warranty 7yr/100k miles for 2150.
I was not comfortable & did not opt for it

Dealer said: Extended warranty is much better than original bumper to bumper warranty, as 4yr/50k warranty is only limited & does not cover everything like how the extended warranty covers. Is this true?

Question:
Is it advisable to take an extended warranty now? my original factory warranty expires on 3/2018

If I end up shopping around and taking an extended warranty, does the extended warranty kick in as of now or will it start from the day original warranty expires?

Finally what is a good price point for a 7yr/100k miles? or is there something like a 8yr/xxx miles?
The factory Acura extended warranty is worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The dealer lied to you. The 4yr/50K mile is a bumper to bumper warranty and covers everything.

On average, by far, extended warranties are 'not' worth it. There's a reason the salesperson tried so hard to push it on you - it's a big moneymaker for them and has a large commission on it for the salesperson. You're much better off banking the money you would have spent on the extended warranty and drawing from it for any needed repairs.

There are always people who'll have some anecdotes of how they came out ahead with their extended warranty but the other 90% of people who buy them came out behind.

If you do get an extended warranty you should only get one from Acura, as opposed to a third party, you should get one from discount seller, such as Acura sponsors on this website, and importantly, should read all the fine print in the contract so you're certain what's covered and what's not covered so you won't be disappointed. Generally, most of the things that'll need to be repaired during the extended warranty period are 'routine maintenance' which won't be covered under that warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an email that I received from currryacura with price on extended warranty
Does coverage through means, the extended warranty will only kick in 4yr/50k miles bumper to bumper whichever comes first?
Will the extended warranty pretty much cover like a bumper to bumper?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Here's an email that I received from currryacura with price on extended warranty
Does coverage through means, the extended warranty will only kick in 4yr/50k miles bumper to bumper whichever comes first?
Did Curry Acura send you any info besides the price? It probably doesn't cover everything. But it's the best you are going to get. Of course it kicks in after the basic warranty. There would be no reason for it to kick in sooner.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If this is a 3rd party warranty don't buy it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The only complete details I found about Acura Care for my 11 MDX and what was (and not) covered was from the booklet they sent after I signed on the dotted line (5 additional yrs or 120,000 miles for $2390 at 0$ deductible). There are quite a few items not covered under the Extended warranty that is covered under the 4/50,000 basic.

The big ticket item from me was the magnetic struts/shocks that could cost more than the warranty. I don't know the big ticket item for the +14 MDX other than unforeseen DI engine issues down the road (carbon build-up?), future LED headlights failures, or potential touch screen or entertain center stack issues?

Bottom of Page 4:

Entire Page 5:

Top of Page 6:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
extended warranty 7yr/100k miles for 2150
The extended warranty comes only 'after' the original warranty period is over. In fact, it's not 'really' 7yr/100K miles for $2150, it's only the excess of the normal warranty which would make it a 3yr/50K mile warranty for $2150 but even that's not the full picture since the original 'power train' warranty, which covers the big potential expense of the engine/tranny, is for even longer than the bumper to bumper warranty - 6yr/70K which leaves your extended coverage period for those items as only 1yr/30K miles. This extended warranty isn't the picture they painted in your mind.

Are you starting to see why this is a bad deal for you and why Acura corporate, the dealership, and the salesperson make a lot of money on this and thus push it?

Again - make sure you read and understand the contract before you buy it. It sounds as if you haven't done that yet. Don't rely on random people on the internet to determine whether you should spend $2150 for something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If this is a 3rd party warranty don't buy it.
Should be acuracare. Their website is curryacuracare.com. Have you gotten quotes from other dealers... there are like 2-3 places that sells acuracare at better rates. Usually curry is pretty good.

I bought my acuracare from curry in 05. They were the cheapest quote I got

I just bought a 17 mdx over the weekend from curry with acuracare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found the answer to below - on Curry's website contact form in the small font on the bottom: For near new vehicles (2013+ under 50K miles) - "The time for used vehicle coverage starts on the day that you purchase the plan and the miles end at the specified mileage of the plan." - so essentially I would have to wait until last minute so not to shorten the warranty period by overlap with factory...

hi All, apologies for replying to an old thread but I think the posts answered all my questions but one on the topic.

If I look a the screenshot quote from Curry that the OP got - "coverage through" date is essentially x years after the date of the quote - does that mean that I should wait until only a few days before my original 4/50K expires to buy the Acuracare so they don't overlap and I end up essentially paying for double warranty I don't need until the car runs out of factory bumper-2-bumper?

Anyone gotten cheaper quote from another AcuraCare "dealer" compared to Curry -is it worth trying to shop around or Curry is essentially "priced to get your business"?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
895 Posts
My advice is to generally wait until original warranty is about to expire, which I did when I bought my 05 MDX used. However, when I bought my 11 Advance new the last thing I negotiated was an 8yr/120k extended warranty, that I rolled into cheap financing at the time, so I basically paid for it over 5 years. I have used the extended warranty on my 11 to more than pay for itself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is a waste of money to buy an extended warranty during the new car warranty period. You just waste the warranty because you are paying for something that overlaps. With these type of cars some repairs are very expensive so you have to decide if you want to take the chance or not. I had a friend who had a radio problem that put the car useless and would have cost him $5000 by Acura's estimate to fix it. He told Acura that puts his car at about $500,000 if this is what items will cost and they finally jumped in and helped with the repair. Not all dealers are the same or have the same trained techs so you have to find the best one for your area. I have been pretty lucky on that part but service writers have sure tried to take me on services not needed. Like at 20,000 miles telling me the back brakes were at 5%. Took it to another mechanic and he showed me they were perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts