Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2018 hybrid w/ Technology should be here “any day.” We are leaving on a ~800 mile (each-way) drive through the desert next Sunday. I probably won’t have 600 miles on it before we leave. Concerns or recommendations for the break-in period?

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've always driven new cars the way I'm going to drive them from the start. With the exception of a manual transmission (clutch) - those i usually break in with stop/go traffic. Never paid any mind to revs, acceleration, braking etc. Even when building engines, they've gone through the paces at mile zero. I've never had an issue with early failure due to this kind of driving, and I feel it brakes the engine in better. Think about super high compression engines - simply driving them is not easy on them at all.

You might consult with the service manager about driving 1600 miles through the desert. They might recommend coming back in for fluid or filter changes afterwards.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
No special fluid/filter changes are necessary for break-in. In fact, you should NOT change your oil/filter early... Wait until the MID counts down below 15%, and change before it reaches 0%.

I tend to break-in vehicles by "varied" driving. Don't abuse the vehicle, but some WOT is good, as is some stop/go and highway. The idea is to not keep the engine load/revs at any specific level for prolonged periods of time.

Reactions: wallyo

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
You can always just do what the manufacturer recommends which for my 2014 is -
During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation,
avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so
as not to damage the engine or powertrain.

Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km).
You should also follow this when the brake pads are
replaced.
Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle’s first 600
miles (1,000 km).
I wouldn't have any concerns about doing your drive. Just try to 'go easy' and not be that aggressive on hitting the gas or stomping on the brakes. Of course, as long as you drive on any road there's a chance you might need to hit the brakes hard but that could happen anywhere.

I wouldn't worry about driving in the desert. I've driven in the desert a lot and this vehicle can handle it just fine.

I wouldn't do any oil or other fluid changes until the MID indicates it's time to do so - which will be at roughly 7K-8K miles to 15% oil life left (or close to 10K miles with 0% life left). I wouldn't consult with a 'service manager' on this since many of them don't know a thing about vehicles - certainly not the vehicle's mechanics. Just follow what the owner's manual states. This has been written based on what the designers/engineers of the vehicle have defined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.