Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My '08 MDX with 101,000+ on it has been diagnosed with bad front struts (lots of clunking). And apparently the rear ones are leaking and not long for this world.

Because this is the Sport model, the struts are some $850 each rather than $250 each. When we bought the car used, we were looking for a power liftgate and navigation, so this is the Sport/Tech version. Had no idea there was a suspension timebomb in there.

Does anyone know if the conventional struts can be used in place of the expensive and failure-prone electronic struts? Obviously the sport/comfort mode switch wouldn't work anymore, nor would the car automatically adjust its suspension in the corners, but to save $2400 I'm willing to sacrifice that. Would there be a warning on the dashboard that would never go away? Any other downsides (and is it even possible)?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Only Sport uses the Magnetic Shocks.
For the Tailgate Option you could also Buy the Tech and Entertainment Package like I did without the Magnetic Shocks.

Yes you can use the Base Shocks and just place some resistors in the Magnetic Shocks plug to fool the Computer (No warning Lights). There are a couple of Threads here about it. Search: "Base Shocks in Sport".

·
Registered
798 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts