Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cat-back section looks extremely restrictive to me. The pipes seem to be undersized to permit the full power of the engine to be realized. I base this on information at this site...there's a handy table for ballpark figuring of pipes for the power you're dealing with: How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos
I haven't seen any cat-back systems for the MDX on the market yet, and I think I can do it cheaper and just as functionally well myself (just not as pretty...)

The cat-forward parts don't look too bad, so I don't think headers would provide as much improvement as replacing the cat-back. I've been planning out the future replacement of the catback junk with appropriately sized piping and free-flowing mufflers. I don't want it much, if any, louder (well, my wife doesn't... I like a little noise). I think I'd replace the cat with a universal 3" I/O (maybe hold off on that until after the cat-back parts, for purposes of evaluating benefits). Then 3" pipe from the cat to a 1in-2out muffler (3"in, 2.5" out) where the first muffler presently is. The 2 outs will transition to 2" stainless flex pipe which will be routed as the factory pipes are. The factory rear mufflers will be replaced with either glass-pack round mufflers or larger mufflers, depending on the noise levels desired. I THINK this setup would be quiet enough, at least at cruising rpm's. And I can install some nice fat 6" chrome tips! Not.

ebay seller speedmotoring has some magnaflow knockoff mufflers. I got a couple for my F350 exhaust. The quality is comparable to magnaflow and at a better price. It seems they just don't have as many different I/O sizes.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I'd use band clamps so I can disassemble/reassemble as desired. Autozone has bolt-on hangars of various configurations.

This will all cost around $300. Hmm, if an aftermarket system comes out and costs less than $400 or so, I'd probably do that instead. That is, if it's quiet enough. I think my plan would make a quieter system. We'll see...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This project will take place after my present one... I'm doing a similar job to my 98 CR-V. It's my daily driver and I want better than 25 mpg. And not droning at cruise speed or too loud under moderate acceleration. The OBX system is too loud for my desire.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was talking to some ASE guys last night above removing just the mid muffler on the MDX. Apparently you will gain HP but loose torque by doing that. So with you modifying the exhaust setup I think it's a pretty big balancing act.

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
582 Posts
I was talking to some ASE guys last night above removing just the mid muffler on the MDX. Apparently you will gain HP but loose torque by doing that. So with you modifying the exhaust setup I think it's a pretty big balancing act.
I did the mid muffler delete Littleazn and I estimate I get a extra 20 miles a tank on Premium average. And I don't drive "nice". I have to also add in I have a K&N rechargeable air filter also. The K&N is as far as I go because I had a very close call with my MX-6 and my Subie with open element units and rain splash. But she's breathing much better...but I'm no air flow techie. But it gave me more HP, but killed the torque. After the resonator delete the torque was noticeable...by my wife!!! Yeah!!
Your right about the pipe diam. being to small, and after a delete your clamps(fore and aft of the mid res) will pop loose. In my case the welds kept cracking from the pressure, like after a day of having some full petal hits. But the response was amazing! My mechanic (muffler and brake shop) and I came up with a cat back setup of a FlowMaster 50 series 1 in 2 out. Should pass sniffer and have some nice deep sound but only after 3000 rpm. He said single dual mufflers will be more restrictive and have that lawn mower sound. Lame for a 4000 pound SUV.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts