Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2015 MDX with tech package is being delivered by carvana in 2 days. 31k miles and I paid $29700 for it. Is that a decent price?

Anyway, some of the posts in these forums have shifted my excitement to concern. Seems people are complaining about transmission issues, electrical issues, terrible climate control system, cheap materials, and all sorts of things.

This is the "nicest" and most expensive vehicle I've ever allowed myself to purchase....someone please tell me I'm not making a big mistake here. I'm hoping to get at least another 70k miles out of this thing before upgrading again.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it's a SH-AWD model then that is what I'd expect it to go for.

If it's FWD then you paid a bit much.

The 2015 was the last year of the 6AT transmission. Most of the complaints you've read are most likely regarding the 2016, which switched to the ZF9HP48 transmission.

I haven't seen any widespread electrical issues. Care to elaborate on what exactly you're concerned about, here?

The climate control in my 2017 has been perfect. Not a single issue to report. I also haven't heard many complaints in this category either. Can you elaborate on your concerns, again?

As for cheap materials, what do you feel is cheap? I find the materials to be decent. Definitely a cut above a Honda/Toyota. The interior doesn't rise to the level of the new XC90 or Q7 -- but when I priced them out the MDX was $20k less expensive.

The best advice I can give is that there are a LOT of complainers on the internet. All they do is complain. Don't put much stock into it. If YOU like the vehicle, then enjoy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a SH-AWD model then that is what I'd expect it to go for.

If it's FWD then you paid a bit much.

The 2015 was the last year of the 6AT transmission. Most of the complaints you've read are most likely regarding the 2016, which switched to the ZF9HP48 transmission.

I haven't seen any widespread electrical issues. Care to elaborate on what exactly you're concerned about, here?

The climate control in my 2017 has been perfect. Not a single issue to report. I also haven't heard many complaints in this category either. Can you elaborate on your concerns, again?

As for cheap materials, what do you feel is cheap? I find the materials to be decent. Definitely a cut above a Honda/Toyota. The interior doesn't rise to the level of the new XC90 or Q7 -- but when I priced them out the MDX was $20k less expensive.

The best advice I can give is that there are a LOT of complainers on the internet. All they do is complain. Don't put much stock into it. If YOU like the vehicle, then enjoy.
The complaints seem to be more with the infotainment controls than the actual climate control system. I quickly read through a ton of posts and just saw a lot of complaints about a lot of things. Nothing specific comes to mind. The complaints got me worried in general.

I haven't even seen the car yet since I bought online, it'll be here Sunday. I bought it based on Acura's reputation, it's the right size vehicle, and I've always liked the look. I'm upgrading from a base model 2012 vw passat, so I'm pretty sure the materials wont seem cheap to me.

I figured I was paying a little extra and I am mostly ok with it because I avoided the slimy car dealership process. I'm excited to get it, just don't want to pick up a new problem.

Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Some of the HVAC controls and seat heaters and such are a bit inconvenient because they are buried in menus on the touchscreen, but they all work fine. My biggest beef is with the Nav controls, but again, the darn thing always shows where you are. It's just inconvenient to tell it where you want to be, especially while you're moving. Most of us have other options to locate stuff and navigate these days. I just don't like fumbling with a phone while I'm driving.

We will probably hang onto our 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD until the wheels fall off, because it drives great and we like the 6-speed transmission with the conventional shifter a lot better than the 9-speed with the push-buttons. 2015 is the same. I'm old enough to remember choosing a car for how it drove instead of what the radio looked like.

As for interior quality, I guess it depends on what you compare it to. It's nicer than our Honda Pilot, but maybe not Lexus, Audi, etc grade. Durability counts for something too, especially if you hang onto vehicles and/or use them as an actual "sport-utility" vehicle on occasion.

Don't fret, enjoy your new ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts