Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently completed the entire process and wanted to give everyone an update on my particular experience.

ACURA 2011 MDX ADV AWD 6 CYL 3.7L, Started Process at 92699 Miles

late July: Initial Oil Change to begin testing (charged $32)
late Aug: First Oil Consumption Check after 1000 miles (down 1.2 quarts)
mid Sept: Second Oil Consumption Check after 1000 miles (down 1.4 quarts)
mid Oct: Final Oil Consumption after 1000 miles (down 1.25 quarts)
mid Jan: Start Warranty Service on Monday morning, car ready on Tuesday mid-morning

After my second oil consumption test Acura had apparently approved the warranty repair but still needed to go through the process with the final test.

Dealer set expectation that it would be a while while all the parts came in and they dealt with the backlog of cars waiting for the service.
Apparently they have one technician dedicated just to this program.
Originally took them a week to do a vehicle in the beginning and now they have it down to a day for most cars.

I was getting close to 5000 miles without a complete oil change and called the dealer in late Dec to ask about the status. They put me on the calendar for mid Jan so I didn't need to pay for an oil change just to have the oil drained and filled as part of the repair a few weeks later. Told me it could take 1-3 days and they would provide a loaner car.

I had already done the big service at 75,000 miles so I already had replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, s-belt, spark plugs, and PCV valve. I did want to see what optional items could be done like replacing the rear main seal, oil pump seals and/or camshaft seals which are very expensive on their own but much more cost effective as part of the warranty repair. Service adviser said the tech would call during the repair and provide recommendations once they had things apart.

Dropped the car off first thing in the morning and got an 2019 RDX Turbo with 2000 miles for a loaner car which was pretty sweet. They called the next morning around 10am to say the car was ready. Was a little disappointed the technician didn't provide an update but service adviser said it there was anything there they would have called. Good news is no creepy upsells but missed a chance to do some proactive maintenance. That said I know some folks will tell you if the seals aren't leaking better off just to leave them alone.

Anyway the car is running great (knock on wood) and there doesn't seem to be any oil consumption after almost 1500 miles and oil is looking really clean. In a few days I plan on getting the oil changed and then have a 4000 mile oil change interval after that. Car has had regular oil mostly and I contemplated switching over to full synthetic after a couple more changes with regular oil but decided I will just stick with regular oil at this point.

All in all was pretty happy with the process and experience with my dealer.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That is great to hear!

I don’t want to go through the process and don’t want to take any chances.

Just kept adding oil everything 1000th miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I Agree, don't want to bother, will just add oil. Acura uses the exact same piston rings to replace the failed ones, so its pretty much guaranteed to happen again down the line.

Good to hear you had a smooth experience though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same with me too, im just adding oil too. I wonder how long the mdx will last by just adding oil and various redline/BG/cat cleaner and still doing regular oil changes...

·
Registered
587 Posts
adding oil is a not right solution. It will cause just more problems down the road..

·
Registered
23 Posts
adding oil is a not right solution. It will cause just more problems down the road..
Im open to suggestions/potential solutions. I have 63,500 miles, no issues other than consuming 1/2 to 1 quart per 1,000 miles or so...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Im open to suggestions/potential solutions. I have 63,500 miles, no issues other than consuming 1/2 to 1 quart per 1,000 miles or so...
I am not sure if you have it now, but you will have it in future, if is not addressed. Carbon will make compression rings stuck, stuck rings can damage cylinder walls and there will be more blow-by (combustion gases). On top on that, carbon will make combustion chamber smaller, that equals to increased compression, increased compression= detonation, detonation =increased wear and tear.
It is just big can of worms....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts