Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys old Navtool thread was getting kind of big. So thought of starting new thread.
Here is the link of old thread. https://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/167816-navtool-installation-my-mdx-2014-base-sh-awd.html.

Yesterday night I updated my Navtool with Carplay and AA to 2.3 Version from 2.2.
I am noticing Navtool interface is little faster now. But it could be just me. Did you guys find any differences? Backup Camera not triggering bug still exists. I have to come out of Navtool interface to be able to see backup screen. very frustrating.

In the old thread was reading that guys are having issue like Carplay screen freezing when phone is connected to Bluetooth. I also was seeing the freezing issue but not because of Bluetooth. I think it was because of two things
1). Navtool device getting over heated. To resolve this I kept the Navtool under the cup holder area. Seems to do the trick.
2). Not using good lighting cable. Recently found this issue.
Although I was using original Apple lighting cable I noticed that cable's connection to the phone was disconnected when there is too much vibration in the car (bad roads). If I keep the phone on the center control laying down(earlier on car mount Magnetic wireless charger) or in a spot where its less likely to vibrate with car. Connection was good. Recently too the MDX to a 1500 Miles drive. Was using a tight mount, image attached. This one hold the phone and the cable tight always. So in my 1000 mile trip Bluetooth was on and I was taking calls all the time. Except for a couple of times I never got into connection issues. The two times I got this issue. I was pressing and holding the Navigation knob (Big Knob) see the After Connection established startup screen(image attached) and the Carplay interface is back on.
The fact that Carplay starts back tells me that the connection was broken between Phone and Navtool unit and reestablished.

So for me its not the bluetooth with is causing the issue.
:grin:
I was one of the luck customer who was supplied with MIC. I routed the MIN from driver side up the A pillar to windshield to the rear view mirror and kept it there.
When using Carplay the voice commands are relatively clear to it (phone) almost all the voice commands are taken in one go. Am happy with the MIC setup.

That's my experience.

Sorry for millions of typos.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
My observations, I am avid Android user so all my comments are wrt to AA
1. Reverse camera glitch exists, but for me it happens 2 out of 10 times.
2. Heating is more, the box of Navtool itself is designed to be a heat sink, but the thermal passing/management from key components in pcb giving thermal loss is not properly channeled to heat sink case. Said this I am yet to face issues due to heat freeze, due for a long drive.
3. Intermittently the unit does not respond and POR/crank is needed.
4. To be honest 90% harness is to give the plug and play feeling. You can see 1 or 2 wire from a connector getting tapped and going to navtool unit.
5. In AA case I think phone call gets routed via Bluetooth. But AA commands goes via Navtool microphone. I had to turn of stereo profile in my phone Bluetooth leaving the handsfree profile.
6. Navtool unit does not provide more than 700mA and average of 450mA so phone ends up losing some charge. Probably I will make a Y connector from a charger to fix this.
7. I am engineer working for a semicon company and I work with all major Auto OEMs across globe. I can say the quality of Navtool is no where near the OEM unit design. They design and validate for 3-5 yrs before it comes to market. I need to spend some time in giving detailed look at their H/W design and probably the thermal issue could be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every time I read one of these Navtool threads I ask myself WHY does anybody do this given the issues? The promise sounds great, the execution stinks.
Sure. The people who do this are the ones who need more and cannot settle with what they have.
Fortunately it workout for those who are okay with what they have. Coz they get all fixed and final softwares.

Now given the issue, if you can have the latest and greatest tech in your car then why not :cool:.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My observations, I am avid Android user so all my comments are wrt to AA
1. Reverse camera glitch exists, but for me it happens 2 out of 10 times.
2. Heating is more, the box of Navtool itself is designed to be a heat sink, but the thermal passing/management from key components in pcb giving thermal loss is not properly channeled to heat sink case. Said this I am yet to face issues due to heat freeze, due for a long drive.
3. Intermittently the unit does not respond and POR/crank is needed.
4. To be honest 90% harness is to give the plug and play feeling. You can see 1 or 2 wire from a connector getting tapped and going to navtool unit.
5. In AA case I think phone call gets routed via Bluetooth. But AA commands goes via Navtool microphone. I had to turn of stereo profile in my phone Bluetooth leaving the handsfree profile.
6. Navtool unit does not provide more than 700mA and average of 450mA so phone ends up losing some charge. Probably I will make a Y connector from a charger to fix this.
7. I am engineer working for a semicon company and I work with all major Auto OEMs across globe. I can say the quality of Navtool is no where near the OEM unit design. They design and validate for 3-5 yrs before it comes to market. I need to spend some time in giving detailed look at their H/W design and probably the thermal issue could be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hmm, even with R11 firmware version you are still seeing the reverse camera issue? I wish they had fixed it. I'm wondering what are the changes from R5 to R11 and if it is worth sending the unit back to them to upgrade to R11.

I haven't experience the heat issue yet in NYC, it seems to be stable after it is connected, but sometimes it takes multiple connect/disconnect to connect to Navtool which is annoying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the latest software in my Navtool. I still see the issue. One thing I noticed in my 17 Adv is if I trigger the camera before Hand. Backup camera triggers in Navtool mode also.
QQ why do you need to send it in for update you navtool. Isn't is something you can do yourself using Navtool Software?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the latest software in my Navtool. I still see the issue. One thing I noticed in my 17 Adv is if I trigger the camera before Hand. Backup camera triggers in Navtool mode also.

QQ why do you need to send it in for update you navtool. Isn't is something you can do yourself using Navtool Software?

The “firmware” I was referring to was the”R5” shows at the bottom right of your top screen (2nd photo you posted). I contacted support and they said there was no way to do self upgrade from R5 to R11, and I need to send it back to them for the upgrade. I’m wondering if it is worth sending given that the most annoying reverse camera issue is still not fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The “firmware” I was referring to was the”R5” shows at the bottom right of your top screen (2nd photo you posted). I contacted support and they said there was no way to do self upgrade from R5 to R11, and I need to send it back to them for the upgrade. I’m wondering if it is worth sending given that the most annoying reverse camera issue is still not fixed

Got you. Wondering whats new in R11? Did any one you know upgraded to R11? Any advantages?

·
Registered
118 Posts
They said they fixed Carplay connectivity issue from R5 to R11.

Navtool: “carplay drop fixed if your phone disconnects, if not no need for update”

·
Registered
118 Posts
Verified? Or they just sayin again?

I don’t have the random connectivity drop issue, so I didn’t send my unit back for upgrade. I’m waiting for them to fix the most annoying reverse camera not showing up issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
F&$King blackout

So My Navtool Died!!. :banghead:
I am not able to get the Carplay going.
After I connect my phone I see that the phone is charging. But I don't see Carplay on my phone.
And when I select Carplay from Navtool initial screen. I see nothing. Its a total black screen.

Danm its [email protected]&king annoying. I will try to take out the unit and do a software install again and try connecting.

·
Registered
118 Posts

After I connect my phone I see that the phone is charging. But I don't see Carplay on my phone.

And when I select Carplay from Navtool initial screen. I see nothing. Its a total black screen.

Danm its [email protected]&king annoying. I will try to take out the unit and do a software install again and try connecting.

Sorry to hear that. Was it caused by the heat? Maybe it is time to get the upgraded unit (warranty).

·
Registered
18 Posts

it will helpful, if you can add microusb cable and hide it some place, where you can access it easily and update S/W. We will save some time in opening the whole damn thing to get access to the microusb

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear that. Was it caused by the heat? Maybe it is time to get the upgraded unit (warranty).

I always park my MDX in the garage. The day it stopped working, I was working in the garage and parked MDX outside in 70-75 Degree weather. I am sure it was even hotter in the car. From that day on it stopped working. Was working just fine before the day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always park my MDX in the garage. The day it stopped working, I was working in the garage and parked MDX outside in 70-75 Degree weather. I am sure it was even hotter in the car. From that day on it stopped working. Was working just fine before the day.

I always park my car outside (front yard). The highest temp so far is about 80F. Hopefully it can survive this summer..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds to me like you have to be a Silicon Valley Tech to deal with this product...as bad as I want one...no thanks, too many issues & reports of bad customer service.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is beta product for $500 or whatever Nav tools charges .
Their support is not great either , if they partner with BestBuy then it might work .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
F&$King blackout

Update(y):):D:cool:. This is quite strange but for good seems.
After the incident Navtool Died!. I updated the firmware to latest. But it did not fix it. After few days (may be 3-7 days did not drive the car. Parked in garage). Car's Battery drained completely and could not start the car. So had to jump start the car. Strangely since then Navtool is working like a champ no issues what so ever. I don't have connection drop issue. Voice recognition for address search works seamlessly. Well except for only one issue Backup camera does not always comes on when in reverse. But I don't have a problem with that. If I back out of Navtool screen Backup cam is displayed.

I am really enjoying Navtool and the benefit of not touching my phone when driving. Specially now that here in Illinois its very strict not to text while driving or even have the phone in hand.
Well except for only one issue Backup camera does not always comes on when in reverse. But I dont have a problem with that. if I back out of Navtool screen Backup cam is displayed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
8 Participants
skk85
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing