Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm new here on this site but I am a member of many European automotive owners forums. Some recent developments in my life have put me in a position where I feel it would be best to switch over to a...um...less finicky car than what I'm used to with my German/Swedish brands. I gravitated to the Acura MDX because my parents have a 2002 3.2TL which has been very dependable for them aside from replacing the transmission. Twice.

My fiancé just got a new job which doesn't require him to have a car anymore so he is letting his
Subaru go once the lease is up. He is not a car guy by any definition so if we are going to be a one car household; then we need something that isn't going to throw a warning light that he won't understand and therefore chooses to ignore. But I'm not ready to give up on driving pleasure so the MDX seems like a smart choice for having it all.

I haven't driven one yet but I wanted to ask you folks a few questions only those with lots of seat time can answer.

1. The worst part of my parent's TL was the seats. It seems like every Honda product has terrible lower lumbar support. After driving the TL for an hour, my lower back was screaming. I have watched a lot of video reviews and the seats have changed a lot, in appearance at least. So how would you guys rate the front seat comfort of the 3rd gen MDX?

2. The other thing that worries me about switching over to Acura (or any non-European make) is rust. I am of the opinion that a good marker for how well a manufacturer does something is how long that manufacturer is willing to take responsibility for it should anything go wrong. A good example is the rust warranty on any VW product. My Passat and Audi have 12 year/unlimited mile warranties on body corrosion which, as far as I know, is the best in the business. Neither of those cars showed a spec of rust after 10 years and I live in northern Utah where the roads are marinated in salt all winter long. I know the MDX has a 5 year/unlimited mile rust warranty but what have been your experiences with your MDX or other Acura models you have owned in the past?

3. Given the headache my parents went through with the 5AT in the their TL, I have to ask about your experience with the 6AT in the MDX. I am not at all interested in the 9 speed available in the 2016MY and up because of it's design and complexity. I prefer to shift my own gears with a clutch pedal but when I have now choice but to go automatic, I like to not feel it shift and for it to be responsive and reliable for the long haul. In your experience, does the 6AT fit the bill?

I think that's all for now. I look forward to getting to know you fine folks and hope to be a useful, contributing member of this forum.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 tech shawd. an early one purchased in July 2013, and very much like it. I've driven it coast to coast and back multiple times (many long days in the seat) and find the seat comfortable. I do think the seat could be improved with more adjustability and thigh support but nevertheless it's okay for me. The comfort of a seat is subjective and we all have different body proportions so you really need to sit in one and drive in one, preferably for more than just a 5-10 minute 'test drive', to get an idea of its comfort for you.

My nearly 4 y/o vehicle shows no rust and I haven't seen anyone post here of a rust issue other than a post about some rust under a door handle on a fairly new one and rust on some parts of the disk rotor/brake area, which is normal for any vehicle and not a concern. Disclaimer - I live in an area where rust isn't a problem.

My 2014 has the 6 speed tranny and it's been fine - no problems and a pleasure to drive. I leave the vehicle in 'Sport' mode all the time and really like the shift points and other aspects of the mode.

This MDX is fun to drive - it handles great for a vehicle of its size, has plenty of power, is comfortable, and sized just right for what I need. If this were stolen or totaled I'd likely replace it with another MDX. This is my first Honda/Acura product so I'm not a lifelong Honda/Acura person like some are and have owned many other brands of vehicles.

There's no substitute for checking it out on your own since your impressions may be different but I think the MDX is worth your while to check if you think it's the type of vehicle you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input! I definitely know the value of an extended test drive and will be going on one this weekend but I'm not sure if the dealer will allow as much time as I'd like. I'm a 6'2" guy with and athletic build but I'm told my torso is longer than other guys of my height so finding a comfortable seat has its challenges.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I don't know but I don't think it's significant since it's not wide open throttle all the time - i.e. if one drives fairly non-aggressively the shift points are about where one would expect for that type of driving. I leave it in Sport all the time because there's never a time I wouldn't want better reaction out of a vehicle. This vehicle gets great mileage for a vehicle of its size/weight. Some others posting here use the other settings of Normal and Comfort but I tried them for all of maybe a few minutes and went to Sport and left it. When I'm doing a cross-country trip or cruising down the freeway I don't think there's 'any' mileage hit due to Sport mode - i.e. there's probably only a hit (minor one) when accelerating aggressively, which even for me isn't that often in the life of driving the vehicle from a miles perspective. Note that 'Sport' doesn't affect the suspension - although I read the 2017 hybrid will actually have a dynamic suspension, but the non-hybrids don't.

Given that I bought a vehicle that's already more expensive than many other 3 row SUVs, one that recommends more expensive premium fuel (there are other threads here on this topic but I follow the owner's manual), and that I bought for driving pleasure in addition to the practical aspects, I'm not concerned if there's a minor MPG hit by leaving it in Sport.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Not sure how much you are looking to spend or leaning toward loan or lease. The +17 sport hybrid sh-awd MDX with 7 speed DCT might be a step closer to the euro brands in handling and performance with 26-27 average mpgs with city and hwy driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a 2015 MDX Advance on a 1 hour drive today. I like the way it drove. It handles really well for the size and ride is one of the quietest I've experienced. Sadly, I couldn't get fully comfortable in the seat even after adjusting the seat every way possible. I think the padding on the very bottom of the backrest is too aggressive which puts pressure against my spine. It's not the worst automotive seat I've been in but I'm not sure I can live with it everyday. I also looked at a 2017 Subaru Outback and 2014 Mercedes ML350 which, surprisingly, also exhibit the same problem in seat comfort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 2017 MDX tech and it replaced our 2004 acura mdx that had another 200K to go but I just couldn't resist having newer after 13 years.

1) seats are definitely sporty. Not one size fits all but I have a 2010 TL and this new 2017 and I like the way the seats fit me. Tight, supportive, and comfortable as far as sport seats. There are more comfortable seats for touring but you will slide around if you are really pushing the car. My 2010 TL has 305 HP and is fast... can't have real comfortable and fast IMO. I think you need to try out the car to see if it is a good fit for you.
2) 2004 had little rust as far as body panels. I towed with the boat and dropped in brackish/salt water and the rear bumper (underneath) had some corrosion but other than that, nothing like my 1981 Honda accord. I live in Pennsylvania where we have plenty of snow and salt
3) Can't speak to the tranny in the MDX yet; I have the 9 speed and have no complaints so far and got 28 MPG on the highway yesterday??? My 5 speed 2004 would get about 19. My 2010 TL has a six speed transmission, 85K miles, and I haven't had problems yet. I guess I will see..... our 2004 MDX had 139K miles and original transmission along with towing ~3500 pound boat for hour+ long trips. Did great and it had an after market trans cooler.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I took a 2015 MDX Advance on a 1 hour drive today.
Did you do any comparison between the Advance and the non-Advance, like the Tech? I've read here that some find the seats in the Advance less comfortable than the Tech/Base - something related to the different build of the seat with the perforated leather and cooling inside the seat. I think the comments have been more related to a harder bottom cushion though and that wasn't your complaint. I haven't checked it out myself (I have a Tech) so I don't know if it's significant.

I know you said you adjusted the seat every which way but did you adjust the lumbar support? It's kind of an odd way to adjust it so maybe you missed that and that would be the area getting you in the lower back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the best part about my '16 MDX Advance is the ride and handling for a vehicle of its size. It drives a lot smaller. I used to drive with Sport but after a recent TSB on the 9 speed, the car drives much better. I used Normal now instead of Sport and the vehicle is much more responsive - not sluggish like it used to be. Coming from the current gen GS350 F Sport, I found the driver seat to be very uncomfortable. But for some reason, after a month or so into ownership, it feels fine now. If I had to rate it, I would say 8/10. I do not live in a rust area so I do not have any problems with that. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the Tech seats are softer or maybe less form-fitted than the Advance. I think the Tech is more comfortable but could be imagining it. I also thought of the Hybrid when reading the original post. I thought I was going that direction originally but the difference in price (at sticker vs. below invoice) as just too much. Plus I plan to keep it for a long time and am unsure of Hybrid tech well past 100K. So I have a one week old AWD Tech and so far I love it. Taking longer routes to work even. Good luck in your decision...hope to hear what you come up with!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I think that's because the advance seats have a seat pan with more metal than springs for the ventilation

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
17 Texh SH-AWD owner here. 5400 miles since 2/4/17 so needless to say I've had lots of seat time. I'm 6'2" with a size 44 long jacket and I'm long torso'd as well. Additionally I also have an issue with a herniated disc in my lower back and I've found the seats in the Tech to be quite comfy. However I have a small lumbar pillow that sits at the intersection of the seat bottom and seat back that keeps my spine better aligned but that's not a ding against the MDX cause I have to use it in every vehicle I ride in. That includes the 13 F150 Platinum that I traded in which by far had incredible seat comfort.

The ZF transmission is awesome in my eyes. I use Sport IDS for daily driving and a mix of Comfort and Normal when cruising on the highway. There is a slight difference in mileage on long highway runs in Sport since the throttle tip-in and response is higher. I cannot maintain 27+ mpg in Sport whereas I can in Normal and Comfort due to the slightly less reactive nature to throttle input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You should possibly try the MDX with advance/entertaiment package as this has the nicer quality leather seats and adjustable lumbar support.

You write you are in Europe, which country?

I ask this as I am in The Netherlands, Europe and thought the G3 MDX was never oficially sold outside USA/Can, are almost nowhere to be found, but you seem to have them in your country as you have just testdriven one???

The 2014 MDX Adv/Entertaiment pkg I just got was privatly imported here from the US by an expat who has now left the country again, selling it here.

I by accident came across it and research showed me there are only 2 G3 MDX in my country.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
^^ Do you get many comments from people there wondering what you're driving?
Nope, not really.. here, unless you have something obviously special/ unusual, most people just don't notice,..

Just for fun did some research and found out there are 12 MDX registered in my country, most of them G1-2. Only 2 G3 are here..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Weird, Greyhounddaddy (topic starter ) joined this forum and posted his first item here on 04/13/2017 and last visited on 04/15/2017

Him stating that living in Europe he considered getting an MDX but not sure which version and directly finding one for a testdrive seems very weird to me...
MDX are very rare in Europe as they were never oficially sold and only very few were privatly imported....

Imposter???

·
Registered
56 Posts
MDX are very rare in Europe as they were never oficially sold and only very few were privatly imported....
Not speaking for greyhound, but they were officially sold in Russia until last year (they're not common here but I wouldn't say rare), and I believe still are in Ukraine and some other countries. I don't recall having seen in Western Europe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
According to Acura USA the G3 MDX is made and sold solely on the North American and Canadian market only
This is why there are only Satnav Maps available for North America, Canada and Mexico.

If they were really oficially sold in Eastern Europe, there would be maps available for these areas too.

I know there are MDX driving around there, in Eastern Europe just about everything on wheels ever made drives around, but many cars are grey import, not official.
Big(ger) SUV's are very popular there, mainly as status symbol, but also for safety as they drive like idiots, so there are many accidents.

Even though they have LHD traffic, you can also see many RHD cars around as they got them cheap from abroad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends what's exactly considered Eastern Europe. Some include Ukraine, Russia, and other former USSR countries, some not. Correct, in between 2014-2016 G3 MDXes were exported to Russia.

There was another country in which a car dealer (Al Mulla) started importing G3 Acura MDX in April 2015: Kuwait! I worked there and in 08/2015 I bought one, Advance package, and privately imported in my home country, Romania.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts