Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

this is a great forum. I learned tons about the mdx. If they didnt have so long of a wait and if they were coming even a bit off msrp, i probably would be a happy mdx owner right now as im sure all of you are.

For those on the fence, i thought i would share why i chose a bmw x5 instead. 1) price - the X5 3.0 with nice options isn't all that much more than a fully loaded MDX - comes out to about a $5k difference. BMW IS willing to come off sticker. A grand off for starters. 2) availability - i searched for one today in Colorado. There are 45 on the ground and i found a suitable fit in short order. 3) upscale features - real wood, nice leather, xenons, etc.. Overall interior is just more attractive 4) safety - yes the mdx is great, but i think the X5 has a few things that the mdx is lacking - xenons were a big deal for me. dynamic stability control was also very important. head/curtain airbags also very important. 5) maintenance - 3 year/36k of all scheduled maintenance free - otherwise the normal 4 year/48k warranty is the same. This truck may not be as reliable as the MDX but i dont care too much since i know it will be gone by end of year 4.

Bottom line - they are both nice trucks. If i needed the extra room i would certainly get the MDX. You really can't lose either way. If like me, you are fed up with waiting and dealer attitude and don't care about the roominess so much, check out the X5 - you wont be dissapointed. Good luck all!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You say you were tired of waiting for the MDX to come off of MSRP, but you are willing to spend up to another 5K for an X5.
Well, it's your decision, and the X5 is a fine SUV. Certainly, in the MDX fashion, performance oriented esp. in the handling department.

I am not sure 'reliability' is only important after 4 years, or 48K miles. It's generally important all the time. Just having problems taken care of under warrranty is fine, but having a vehicle tied up in the shop when you should be driving it is not much fun.

But BMW is certainly up to the task of building better vehicles and hopefully they will respond to the SUV market which is expanding so rapidly.

I wish you the best with your new vehicle!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My wife's 2002 530i also came with free scheduled maintenance for first 36,000 miles. As I said to the salesman when he proudly announced that to us....WOW...three free oil changes.

I also looked at the X5 vs MDX....little or no contest. In my research, I even liked the Subaru better than the X5.

But, to each their own.

·
Registered
928 Posts
No dice...........

nesta said:
Overall interior is just more attractive
?????
Sorry, IMHO, the X5 interior is disgusting.
And if you're going to get an X5, why not do it right & wait & go ALL OUT and get the X5 HP !?!??

X5 HP:
a new high-performance version of the X5 Sports Activity Vehicle will debut in Detroit. With BMW's launch of the X5 HP, it will be possible for the true driving enthusiast to experience a very special dimension of sporty driving beginning later this year. That is the dimension X. The most powerful X5 engine will no longer be a 282 horsepower, 4.4 liter V8, but rather a new high-performance V8 developing 347 horsepower (European rating). The new V8 has a displacement of 4.6 liters, and being exclusively reserved for the X5 HP, delivers up to 354 lb-ft of torque. The four-wheel-drive vehicle reaches 60 mph from standstill in less than 6.5 seconds and has a top speed of more than 149 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's very hard to judge your decision until you've had the vehicle through an entire "life cycle"...things like flexibility, resale value, durability, incremental costs (insurance on the X5 isn't cheap, plus the minor items like dings, etc. that aren't covered under warranty) must all be factored into your equation and it's difficult to guess at those factors, unless you look at a makers' reputation: BMW has made performance vehicles that are costly to maintain and not easy to work on, whereas Honda has made stable, less exciting vehicles that tend to last long periods of time.

I cannot speak for you, but it appears you are more attracted to the name "BMW" than the functionality of the vehicle vs. the MDX. Nothing wrong with that, as I suspect most folks buy vehicles for the "name".

p.s. Thins such as xenon headlights are not very expensive to buy yourself and install..curious that this is a determining factor.

Lastly, I'll be very interested to see the resale value numbers on the X5's in a few years. Traditionally, BMW's keep their value pretty well, but the high end X5 is pretty darn expensive (approx. $55K) and I can't imagine it'll keep its' value with all of the new SUVs entering the market (Porsche, Volvo)...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hey, Nesta...wow, what a bunch of critics, eh?

Best of luck with the X5. I personally love the look...we ruled it out pretty quickly (without even a test drive) b/c we needed the space the MDX had for our daughter, dog, and gear.

I think it's a great looking machine...and from what I've heard a blast to drive. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I seriously considered the X5 also. I really loved the way it felt when you sat in the "cockpit". It certainly felt like a "Driver's" car. I also liked the German solid build quality, and just love the looks of it. But then, reality sunk in and a few things that I could not overlook:

1) Space, there was just no trunk space in the X5, and the 3rd row was just too attractive on the MDX
2) Price, $5K more was just a bit too much for "Montana" leather, real wood, Xenons, and premium for being BMW, not worth it.
3) Reliability, did a quick check on all the recalls and the nightmares owners had on the different forums (one where all airbags deployed on the highway), just really scared me.

That sums up the X5 consideration for me...

But I truly hope you have a great experience with your X5. It's the only other SUV I really still take a good look at and say, "Wow, I still think it's so nice even though I didn't get it." ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope I didn't come across as a critic...If so, I apologize. By buying the X5, there's one less potential MDX on the road, keeping the "cool" factor high on the MDX!! (':p')

Depending on your needs and wants, the X5 may be the perfect vehicle for you and none of us can judge that, except nesta.

Good luck and I echo the sentiments of a previous poster : the X5 looks great.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
nesta,

Enjoy your X5! Obviously you're going to get a lot of negative impressions on it here. But I think it's a great vehicle. I think that some of the more disastrous problems that everyone repeats (spontaneous combustion, etc.) have been fixed.

I think the X5's styling is terrific (better than the MDX's, IMHO), and, as a sports-sedan-come-SUV, it's a great drive. If you can live with some of the tradeoffs (e.g. cargo room, harsher ride), it's a beautiful vehicle.

One nit, though. The X5 does have head protection airbags, but they are not side curtains. They are inflatable tubes, standard for the front, optional for the rear. However, that's more head protection than the MDX offers, and BMW also makes available rear-side airbags that can be activated upon request (did they talk about whether BMW considers them safe for children? do they want you to sign a waiver for it)? I think rear side airbags are fine so long as kids don't sleep out-of-position against them. Car seats with side bolstering take care of any such issue.

Have fun!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm know where you're coming from Nesta--I looked seriously at the X5 as well, and I love the looks from the front--not too fond of the rear though. But I definitely love the fit and finish, and the drive is top of it's class. The 4.4i beats out an ML55 IMO. But value, practicality, and so many rights with so few wrongs helped me settle on the MDX..

But I hope you really enjoy the X--check in and let us know how you like it!

Rob :31:

·
Registered
47 Posts
You'll enjoy the X5 -- I drove it and did like the drive and interior trim quality better than the MDX. The main reason I went with the MDX was the additional seating flexibility without getting into a monster size like a Suburban.

I've put on about 7K miles on the MDX now and like it overall. I do think there are a few places such as the interior leather and dash quality that are not up to a $40K vehicle standard. I'd still buy another one though based on the competition today!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
final thoughts

Look at the bright side - i am doing my part to show Acura dealers that competition is alive and well. Maybe for future MDX owners (maybe me one day) the cumulative effect of those who jump ship while vehicle is on order will help your leverage in the near future.

For those that did consider the X5 - there were some recalls, but this sled is in its 3rd model year and I do believe major issues are fixed (knock on wood). There is no doubt that I would trust the Acura reliability more. Still, I'm not as concerned as i would be say in the Mercedes.

Just to clear some earlier issues - yes the oil change is suggested in the 10k-12k range (about once a year for me) - made sense once i learned it comes with, and only uses synthetics. A poster asked about rear air bags - yes they are a bad idea for kids. Yes the cargo room is paltry compared to the MDX, but i still can get my mountain bike back there (have to take the wheel of probably though. The fit and finish is everything i expected - high quality. No, the name really doesn't mean diddly for me - just the best sled for my needs. Enjoy your MDX's. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will only get better. I wish bimmer.org was as well executed as this forum. Signing off... -- oh but one more thing, for the poster that thought the X5 interior sucked or something to that effect - are you on crack?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
nesta ... Pls come back and visit once in a while. Let us know how things are going ... Regarding the interiors of the two vechicles ... heck, we all see things differently ... that's a good thing in my opinion

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: final thoughts

nesta said:
....oh but one more thing, for the poster that thought the X5 interior sucked or something to that effect - are you on crack?
LOL :2:. Crack smoking is prohibited in the forums :1:

Best wishes once again!:29:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The X5 looks nice but it has to be the most conflicted vehicle I have ever seen. It's an SUV with less cargo space than a station wagon! And it costs more. And it's less fun to drive.

If you want a utility vehicle, buy one (MDX).

If you want a fun car, get a car (3 or 5 series).

The X5 is like the transvestite of vehicles...it can't decide what it wants to be!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: final thoughts

nesta said:
Signing off... -- oh but one more thing, for the poster that thought the X5 interior sucked or something to that effect - are you on crack?
I did not comment on interior - I agree that Beamers all have great quality interiors, but for my taste there is is just too much RED in it. It's funny, but it instantly drows the parallel with Pontiac's 'red devil' layout for me. The perfrect Lux SUV, IMO, would be one that has MDX's utility & reliability, BMW's suspension & handling and Lexus's quality & service!
And all this for under $40K! :2:

ps. red extinguisher would match the dash color! ;)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
We would not flame people for buying another vehicle. We love MDXs that's why we have this forum.
Sometimes, when buyers elect to choose a different vehicle, they like to come on here and tell us about it. Most just tell us like it's 'news'.
In the past a few have come here to flame us, by telling us how inferior the MDX is to their choice. Then they may get some heat in return. And not because they selected a different vehicle but because of their arrogance or obnoxious attitude.
Personally, if I decided to choose a different vehicle, I would just find another forum I would have more in common with.
I don't need to justify my choice to anyone else expect maybe the wife!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife's 2002 530i also came with free scheduled maintenance for first 36,000 miles. As I said to the salesman when he proudly announced that to us....WOW...three free oil changes.
How come when schedule mainenance is free it only comprises oil changes but when we foot the bill it includes many "check/inspects" to the tune of many hundreds of dollars at 7.5k, 15k, 30K? Are we all just suckers? Is the warranty voided if we fail to perform these check/inspects. I am sorry but when a service invoice is 5% parts and 95% labor that really gets by ire up. :mad:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mdxpecting said:

How come when schedule mainenance is free it only comprises oil changes but when we foot the bill it includes many "check/inspects" to the tune of many hundreds of dollars at 7.5k, 15k, 30K? Are we all just suckers? Is the warranty voided if we fail to perform these check/inspects. I am sorry but when a service invoice is 5% parts and 95% labor that really gets by ire up. :mad:
Let's take that one step further. Has anyone read the warranty requirements out of the manual and told the dealer this is exactly what I want, nothing more?
And then get a price on that.
I even like to rotate my own tires for 2 reasons, it gives me a chance to get the wheels super clean, (inside and out) and do my 5 tire rotation with the FS spare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts