Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys any recommendation for engine air filter and cabin filter?

MDX 2018

·
Registered
31 Posts
Engine K&N.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I just go with OEM for engine filter. I'm giving the Bosch 6029C, Amazon, $20, a try because it is a HEPA filter that block 99.97% compared to non-HEPA at around 97% or less. I got the cabin filter because of the amount of pollen in the spring time that cover our cars in a green/yellow dust.

·
Super Moderator
1,660 Posts
Normally order them via Advance Auto Parts. They usually offer additional online discount (10~25% off) and either ship to home free (if order $35 or more) or pick up at store..

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have been using the Fram Fresh Breeze filters, with carbon and baking soda. They seem to work well. The OEM filters are overpriced and don't have the carbon/soda layers. The Bosch filter uses a melt-blown electrostatic layer, such as in N95 masks, so they are out of stock in many places - my guess is that the filter layer is being diverted to mask production. Also, although the Bosch filter may work a little better to remove tiny particles it adds significant resistance to air flow, and I think most of us would prefer that the air conditioner blasts more air into the cabin.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Zero issues with air flow with the Bosch compared to OEM or FRAM cabin filters. Always felt max cool (+100 degrees w/ 90% humidity) and max heat (single digits) with Bosch.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A lot of reviewers reported the lower air flow. At least one reported that the filter appeared to have buckled under the pressure, allowing freer flow of (unfiltered) air. Personally I don't go with single anecdotes - I mentioned it because it was repeatedly brought up.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The issues might come down to filter design and air flow capacity of each particular vehicle. Issues in a Mazda doesn't mean the same issue in a Chevy. I've haven't noticed any issues diminish air flow with Bosch compared to when I used Fram, EP Auto, or OEM cabin air filters. I've had four adults on a 1700 miles round-trip to the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon and Sedona and all passengers were perfectly comfortable with climate control output.

Usually replace my cabin air filters before the spring allergy seasons starts. I will go back to my second choice (Fram) if the Bosch isn't available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts