Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's karma... Now that I came on here and said I've dodged the bullet so far of having to replace an MDX transmission, of course I'd get stuck with one.

It's a '01 Touring. 18,500 miles. No cooler. It slips very bad. The fluid looks and smells very burned. The replacement transmission is all new, and was tested at the center on 9/13 and arrived at our dealer on the 19th.

It's a horror of a job compared to the TL/CL. I've seen it done many times, but now that I'm actually in the middle of it, I know just how much worse it is. Much more stuff in the way. I've got maybe 5 hours into it, and I'm only a little over half way through.

And while I'm on the transmission thing again, let me ammend a few things I've written in the past.

While all transmissions come from the reman. center, some may be ALL NEW units. The majority are not. They just go to the center to be tested and packaged.

MDX transmissions do come with the rear axle carrier now. The earlier ones we've done did not come with one.

The "ribbing" which I've seen on case of the newer remans. for the TL/CL is already on the MDX. I still ldon't know if they're for strength or cooling. They are along the top of the bellhousing near the "B, LUB, and 2" test plugs.

By about noon tomorrow, my dealer will have replaced two MDX trannies for the month of Sep. (and then I get to jump right on a CL-S tranny R&R...oh goody!)

I guess that's all.

Rob

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
TheRobSJ,

Well, you'll be pleased to note the following:

** Honda is STARTING to acknowledge the problems. In fact, the list of transmissions keeps increasing. Seems like trans used in 4-cyl Accords and Preludes also has problems!!

** Have announced they will extend warranty on TRANS for SOME 2000-01 ODYs, Accords, Preludes. They will NOT release info about which ones yet, seems like they are planning to do this by VIN range. This is NOT a recall.

** Have announced will extend warranty on TRANS for SOME 2000-03 CLs and TLs.

Since you are working on an X trans at the moment, can you take a minute to see "how close it is" to the CL/TL. Know you can't peek inside [God forbid someone was allowed to see], but comparison would be useful.

PS -- Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
srpbep said:

** Have announced they will extend warranty on TRANS for SOME 2000-01 ODYs, Accords, Preludes. They will NOT release info about which ones yet, seems like they are planning to do this by VIN range. This is NOT a recall.
The press release does not specify only some of the Odys, Accords, and Preludes. It looks to be all of them. The only models listed as "some" were the 2003 TL and CL.

Chris

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
xyzzy wrote:
The press release does not specify only some of the Odys, Accords, and Preludes. It looks to be all of them. The only models listed as "some" were the 2003 TL and CL.
I spoke with Ron at American Honda about mid-day PST [I do have Ron's last name and can PM you if you want]. Anyway, here is the deal [from Ron]:

** Some only.
** Will be done by VIN.
** They don't have the list "yet".
** If you are covered, THEN you will receive a letter.

Some questions to Ron:
Q: When will the VIN list be available.
A: We'll announce when it is available.

Q: What if I would like to know more?
A: Sorry.

Q: What if I am not quite happy.
A: Sorry.

Q: Can I talk with a supervisor.
A: No.

Q: What can I do?
A: I can receive a call from a Case Manager in 3-5 working days.

Q: Would you put me on the list.
A: OK

I've done this walk before with a Passport: "Yea though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear Honda because they can be most difficult ... "

I plan to call American Honda a week from today after I have not received the call ...

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you are working on an X trans at the moment, can you take a minute to see "how close it is" to the CL/TL.
The bellhousing looks the same...which figures because the back of the "J" series block is the same no matter what vehicle it's in. The meat of the transmission is unique to the MDX/Pilot because it has provisions for the transfer assembly to bolt on. A lot of the solenoids, sensors, and test ports are in the same places though. And the end of the case looks similar as well.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts