Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with the engine warning light on the dash illuminating on various occassions.

I have taken the vehicle in a number of times. The first time they told me that the gas cap may not have been tightened enough. The second time they said that I would have to leave it for a longer period of time, rather than the hour or so, as I waited in the past.

I took my car in 3 days ago, and am still waiting. They did give me a loaner car for free, but they still have not found the problem. The car drives fine, it is just the light.

They have been speaking to Honda Canda to no avail as of yet. Hopefully I will get my car back soon.

Anyone else heard about anything like this on their MDX??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Engine light--

I don't have the problem, but sounds like a real bummer. Could it be that something in the engine isn't tightened up. My dad found about 3 things that weren't tightened, he's the one that changes my oil so he's in the engine part more than I am. I don't know if that would make the engine light come on or if it's just a malfunction of the light. Good luck--hopefully they get it fixed soon. Let us know when you get it back.
Lmeans

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same trouble...Gas leaks

I bought my Acura just more than 1 month @ John Eagle Acura. The mal-function light backlid (Check Engine or Emission light), which indicates excessive gas. First time, I call service department...get an appointment for a service 8 days later...and the light went off after 5 days....They told me it's ok if it's happenned again...they will check into. Second time, which last 4 days until the service department checked. They said the gas cap was not secured, then they reset the light....The light went back on 3 days after that...This time, they told me there is a gas-leak in my car...(on July 2nd) got me a rental car ...said it would be fixed by lated tomorrow...July the 3rd, they said the part not come yet...they promised me that they would get it done by the 5th....NO luck...They told me come back on the july 6th...Same thing...Now they told me...they known there is a gas-leak...but couldn't find where is it...needs 1 and half days to run through the whole gas system...OK...Monday (today, July 9th) still could find where is the trouble...need to time to take my gas tank and several things apart...no expect time to be fixed....(Why don't they find this trouble on the 1st visit?)

Is it ever got fix?...Mine's still in dealer (14 days).

[email protected] or 1800-382-2238

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the MDX Abyss

Hi Techage, looks like you have the same problem that I do.

When I took my MDX in for service, 4 times now, the engine warning light remained lit the whole time. They had to reset it each time for me.

My visits to Acura went like this:
1) No problem - Loose gas cap
2) Don't have enough time to check (I took it in late one night) probably ok, just gas cap
3) Took almost a week to locate the "possible" source of my engine problem. Ordered and replaced an ORVR Vent Shut Value, and after the part was replaced, 2 days later, the light came back on again
4) 3 Days in for service and ordered another part which should be in by the end of July

I have been driving my car for 2 weeks now with no engine light warning yet. Knock on wood.
I will let you know what we find out soon.

Finally, I have found someone with the same problem as I'm having, considering there are hundreds if not a few thousand registered members on this site.

Hope you find out your problem

Ciao for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
????

Have you think about lemon law?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is the orange (yellow) light that say maint required

Are you all talking about the maintenance required light that blinks when you start it up. Mine blinks alot after being started, but will go out after a while. I never noticed it before now. Everytime I start it, it blinks longer than all the other lights. I don't know if it's trying to tell me something or not. I hope not.
Lmeans

·
Registered
925 Posts
Re: Is the orange (yellow) light that say maint required

lmeans said:
Are you all talking about the maintenance required light that blinks when you start it up. Mine blinks alot after being started, but will go out after a while. I never noticed it before now. Everytime I start it, it blinks longer than all the other lights. I don't know if it's trying to tell me something or not. I hope not.
Lmeans
Lmeans,

I just got my 7500 mile tune up done (at more like 7600). I noticed that the maintenance light started comming on (flashing when starting the vehicle) when I was got close. Once I hit 7500, the maintenance light stayed on.

Maybe this is because you're comming up on your maintenance miles?

·
Registered
580 Posts
maintenance--

I have 6000 miles on it and changed my oil and oil filter twice. I do it every 3000 miles because that's what I'm accustomed to. So I don't think that's it.

Lmeans

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: maintenance--

lmeans said:
I have 6000 miles on it and changed my oil and oil filter twice. I do it every 3000 miles because that's what I'm accustomed to. So I don't think that's it.

Lmeans
Lmeans, I seem to recall that you said that your father changed your oil for you, in which case he would not have been able to reset the maintenance light (which is what the service department would do). I don't know if this explains your situation, but it is possibly the cause. We haven't hit 6000 miles yet so I can't confirm that the maint. light comes on at that point to indicate service required. Anyone with the manual handy to confirm this - as well as answer whether the maint. light can be reset 'manually'?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: maintenance--

lmeans said:

Lmeans
This it it - the reminder light starts blinking for 10 seconds after ignition around 6000 miles, just to give you an early warning that a scheduled maintenance is coming due. At 7500 it stays on consistently, because in this case it's time to change your VTM fluid. You can manually shut it off by holding the select amd reset buttons while turning on the engine (page 68 in the manual), but only if you promise not to forget your maintenance appointment! Normally the dealer will do this.

Note that while the MDX knows when you fill up with gas, it does not know that you've given yourself an oil change! :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
very interesting--

Thanks guys, I didn't know that. And thanks for reading the owners manual for me.

Let me get this right, the VTM fluid needs to be changed every 7500 miles? Even if you haven't used the VTM? Where do you get that stuff at? See I would go to the dealer, but for me to do that just for the check ups, I would be driving forever. So I need to get this stuff and have papa do it for me, I just sit and watch.

O.K. let me get this straight when you start the MDX up you push the reset and select button at the same time, the ones for when you fill it up right, the trip odometer thingy's right? That won't reset your odometer?

Lmeans

·
Registered
681 Posts
Lmeans,

It is all in the owner's manual in the Maintenance section. At least scan the manual to see what was in there and read the detail when needed :):):)

·
Registered
580 Posts
o.k. tdnone--

Good idea, but there was a joke in another thread about men reading the owners manual and women not is why I said it that way. Women learn it by playing around with stuff until they get it and the men read about it. :D I think that's how it goes.
Lmeans

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: very interesting--

lmeans said:
Thanks guys, I didn't know that. And thanks for reading the owners manual for me.

Let me get this right, the VTM fluid needs to be changed every 7500 miles? Even if you haven't used the VTM?
Lmeans
I thought that the VTM kicked in every time you accelerated below 18mph and phased out so at 18, it was off. The VTM lock switch just forced it on the whole time under that speed. Am I wrong? Also detected when slipping under power, but not necessarily accelerating.

Chris

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: Re: very interesting--

[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought that the VTM kicked in every time you accelerated below 18mph and phased out so at 18, it was off. The VTM lock switch just forced it on the whole time under that speed. Am I wrong? Also detected when slipping under power, but not necessarily accelerating.

Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

According to my reading of the manual, VTM engages every time we accelerate. In addition, it engages when slipping occurs at any speed, and when VTM is switched on under 18 MPH.

Does anyone has a reading otherwise?

Cheers, :):):)

·
Registered
616 Posts
http://english.acuracanada.ca/models/mdx_benefits_overview.asp#torque

"Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel Drive System (VTM-4)
The MDX is equipped with an advanced new type of 4-wheel drive system - VTM-4. This system consists of a pair of wet clutches in the rear axle that are computer controlled to maintain traction in a variety of conditions.

Unlike other on-demand 4-wheel drive systems, MDX doesn't wait for slippage to go to work. Instead, torque is delivered to the rear wheels in proportion to forward acceleration to supplement front-wheel drive. This innovative pro-active approach pays two dividends: on dry pavement, there's less likelihood of torque steer (a tendency for propulsion forces to tug at the steering and nudge the vehicle off line) plus more front tire adhesion available for cornering. In wet or snow conditions, automatic all-wheel drive gets the vehicle moving from rest with less chance of wheelspin.

If conditions are exceptionally slippery and wheel spin is unavoidable, VTM-4 instantly reacts by adding rear-wheel torque in proportion to both the slippage and the rate of increase of slippage. A VTM-4 lock mode is also provided to help extract the vehicle from a stuck condition. To use this get-out-of-a-snowbank capability, the driver need only touch a button on the dash and move the shift lever to reverse or to one of the two lower forward gears. With the lock mode engaged, VTM-4 automatically reduces the transfer of torque to the rear axle above 9 km/h (6 mph) and reverts to front-drive by 29 km/h (18 mph)."

·
Registered
580 Posts
VTM-4 fluid--

So where do I get the VTM-4 fluid :confused:? Can you get it at an automotive place or do you have to get it at the dealer?

Lmeans

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: VTM-4 fluid--

lmeans said:
So where do I get the VTM-4 fluid :confused:? Can you get it at an automotive place or do you have to get it at the dealer?

Lmeans
Based upon other threads, Acura VTM-4 fluid is quite different, so I think it is better to buy at the dealer. I heard someone said that Tim cannot ship it due to hazardous material category.

Cheers :):):)

·
Registered
580 Posts
uh-oh--

This may cause a problem. If I have to get this stuff at the dealer than I will have to drive about 150 miles to get it. Do you think I could go to my nearest Honda dealer and have them order it for me?

Lmeans

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
johnnyreb
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing