Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
By "shut off" do you mean the engine just dies, or everything does, including electrical?

It's a very long shot, but on a couple GMs I've owned in the past I had a situation where the car would TOTALLY die ... engine, electrical, everything. It was as if someone yanked out the electrical system. It would sit 5-15 seconds and all of a sudden it was all back to normal ... start it up and go. After much head scratching, I finally traced it to a bad battery cable. Apparently it had eroded at the starter end enough that when the electric radiator fan came on, it caused enough of a surge on the system that it momentarily broke the connection. Replaced the cable, and it never happened again.

Just FYI.
I currently have two MDXs, one is an old faithful 2008 with 253k miles. Yes it is a high mileage car, but I drove my other Honda vehicle to over 300k miles so that’s my goal. I just had its starter replaced, and as I was driving home, same thing happened to this car, three times within a span of just a few miles. Everything would just turn off. All lights off. Nothing works. Eventually everything comes back on. Got it towed back to the repair shop, and they couldn’t identify anything wrong other than a loose battery cable. They tightened the cable and subsequently could not reproduce the problem. Repair shop kept the car for 4 days and they tried multiple times to reproduce the problem but would not happen. I then drove it home without any hiccups. I haven’t driven it since as I’m afraid of getting stranded but I’ll try again at some point and see (It may actually be time to trade the car in as it is “kind” of a high mileage car). Hope this information helps somebody.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '01 has stalled within the first 1/2-mile perhaps four to six times in the two years I've owned it. It was always a first-start-of-the-day situation, and the stall would occur as I was pulling up to a stop light. It would always re-start without any trouble. I have always assumed that it was at that "haven't yet warmed-up" point, and it was no big deal.

How about yours? Does it cut off while you're applying gas and maintaining speed, or as you're slowing down? After engine has been running for several minutes, or just a few minutes after the first start of the day?

Also, next time it happens, note the key-shaped lamp on the instrument panel -- what does it do when the engine dies?

All I can think to ask right now.
Did u find out what was the problem

41 - 42 of 42 Posts