Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Acura MDX 2001. The worst thing happened to us about 3 times already.

The engine turns off while you drive it!!! Out of nowhere it just turns off. This disables the power steering, brakes, EVERYTHING. I have never seen this happen before.

Having 4 kids in the car, this is extremely dangerous and we have sent many letters to all the Acura headquarters. The dealers say they have no idea what this problem is after taking it 3 times.

Does anybody have any input on this???

Thanks you,
Georges Saati

www.moun.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I assume all the dash lights come on, but the check engine light goes off once you restart, so there are no codes?

What has the dealer tried so far?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have no idea what it is, that's all we know.

I really don't know what they have tried, but we've taken it 3 times already.

It has even happened in the expressway.

Georges

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My '01 has stalled within the first 1/2-mile perhaps four to six times in the two years I've owned it. It was always a first-start-of-the-day situation, and the stall would occur as I was pulling up to a stop light. It would always re-start without any trouble. I have always assumed that it was at that "haven't yet warmed-up" point, and it was no big deal.

How about yours? Does it cut off while you're applying gas and maintaining speed, or as you're slowing down? After engine has been running for several minutes, or just a few minutes after the first start of the day?

Also, next time it happens, note the key-shaped lamp on the instrument panel -- what does it do when the engine dies?

All I can think to ask right now.

·
Registered
653 Posts
With around 5k miles on a 2003, have not had any of this happen to me (knock on wood). You need to have the dealership put this in writing everytime this happens" that the car just "dies" . It is dangerous as you have said since the engine quits, you lose all your power steering and brake functions. Something similiar happened to my wifes friend who had a Mercedes C class i think, where the car would just stop running for no reason at all. Mecedes Lemoned it and gave her a new one after months of not being able to figure it out. But documentaion is key!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good evening and thank you for your input. We have everything in writing. We already bought 4 Acuras. We hope that Acura decides to change the car. If they do not, we are going to talk with headquarters.

If you have any articles about anything you think is good for people to know, please send them to us at: [email protected]

Warm regards,
Georges
www.moun.com

·
Registered
733 Posts
By "shut off" do you mean the engine just dies, or everything does, including electrical?

It's a very long shot, but on a couple GMs I've owned in the past I had a situation where the car would TOTALLY die ... engine, electrical, everything. It was as if someone yanked out the electrical system. It would sit 5-15 seconds and all of a sudden it was all back to normal ... start it up and go. After much head scratching, I finally traced it to a bad battery cable. Apparently it had eroded at the starter end enough that when the electric radiator fan came on, it caused enough of a surge on the system that it momentarily broke the connection. Replaced the cable, and it never happened again.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Acura had a problem with ignition switches, they would act up under just the right conditions. Sometimes you can wiggle the key to get them to fail...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had a similar problem to ronH, although not with an Acura, it turned out to be the battery terminal connection. It was intermittent and took the dealer forever to figure it our, it was also a GM product.

As already pointed out, make sure you document everything, it sounds like a real safety issue to me.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 1994 Isuzu Trooper, turned out to be a bad chassis ground that didn't cut through the paint on the firewall. The main solution was to file off some paint, add a star shaped lock washer but they also replaced the ground cable to assure it hadn't been damaged by oxidation with the poor ground. It has never happened again and I still have the Truck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had an Acura Vigor that died, turned out to be the ignition module. It did give several warning dies before it finally died for good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We had this type of problem with a Ford Taurus 1990 - Ford had to do a recall on several older models a few years back due to a court case (the judge forced them to recall after such a stall caused a major accident). As I recall, it had something to do with the distributor, but I am not entirely sure.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Happened Today

Almost to a stop, a complete stall. The dash indicators all go on, and without missing a beat I shift to N and start her up again before the car came to complete stop. Scary as hell, especially since the warranty just expired two weeks ago and I was tormenting over purchasing an OEM extended contract at the last minute. I had just changed the air filter last week as well, so that couldn't be it. I'm thinking maintenance items like the fuel filter. What's the replacement schedule for the fuel filter? No such thing as a lifetime fuel filter (had an Explorer manual say lifetime, but dealers insist 15k, bunch of bull on both sides), but I couldn't find a listing for the MDX fuel filter anywhere.

Now that I actually have to pay for breakdown repairs, I'm going to replace the fuel filter myself and double-check the idle rpm with a tune-up tach before taking it in, as I know that will be the first thing the dealer will do, but we'll see.

Yesterday, the car idled extremely rough when I arrived at work after a 40 minute drive at 7am/60F deg. Today's stall was 5minutes into my homebound drive at 5:30pm w/ 80F temps.

Anyone figured out their stall problems yet? Looking for ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2001 MDX, 32,000 miles

We had the same problem, driving into kids school last week. Going down a hill with kids at the bottom, instrument lights go on like Christmas tree, brakes go dead and really hard to press, no assisted steering. Had to finally step on emergency brake and get stopped before bottom. I couldn't press brake pedal hard enough to stop on hill. Shift into P and restarts, no more problems.

Very scary, and very disconcerting.

Nothing since. It was somewhat cold and raining. Not a good thing as I live in Seattle. Until I can reproduce not sure dealer will talk to me. Fine customer service and all here from the fine Northwest dealers.

I had a 1997 2.5 TL that would have the check engine light come on every 3-5 months. The dealer would replace the charcoal canister, but never could solve the reason. It think the entire emissions system was replaced over a 2 year period, but they never could stop that light. Finally traded it for the X.

Other than this little spontaneous turn off and the brake clunk, its been a dream truck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Happened Today

TheyCallMeBruce said:
I'm thinking maintenance items like the fuel filter. What's the replacement schedule for the fuel filter? No such thing as a lifetime fuel filter (had an Explorer manual say lifetime, but dealers insist 15k, bunch of bull on both sides), but I couldn't find a listing for the MDX fuel filter anywhere.

There is no replacement interval for the fuel filter. It is considered a "Lifetime" item.
The Factory Shop Manual details the replacement procedure though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ditto

It just happened to us this past Sunday. We had left home drove straight to the Cleveland airport to drop off our son. We just did a drop so the engine was never shut off. After we got back on the east side of town I pulled into a rest area and just as we pulled into the parking space the engine quit. The engine had been running a little less than 2 hours and it had been a mixture of speeds but prior to quitting we had been running around 73. We have about 32K on the car. It hasn't done it since.:(

Niles

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: not filter, found problem

deltajetfixer said:

There is no replacement interval for the fuel filter. It is considered a "Lifetime" item.
The Factory Shop Manual details the replacement procedure though.
I've seen "lifetime" specs for fuel filters on other vehicle brands as well, and believe that it cannot possibly be correct. If you drive 8K/year, maybe, but not for most people. It just doesn't make sense.

At my rate of consumption, nearly 2,000 gal/year, my filter will have processed over 15,000 gallons of fuel in 8 years on the same small filter in the fuel pump assembly. It doesn't appear to be a high pressure design, located in the upper circumfrential inlet of the pump. Other designs I come across have not only a low pressure filter outside the fuel pump, but also a high pressure filter on the chassis rail toward the engine, or mounted on the firewall. Instead of 2 filters, we have only a single low pressure filter, located way back in the fuel tank, which is intended to last the life of the vehicle. Yeah, right. I'm disappointed with such an engineering defficiency.

Anyhow, its not the filter. Took the cover off the engine and found the evap purge solenoid valve sitting atop the throttle body clacking away like a machine gun, faster than I can count, maybe 3-4 clicks/second. I guess that's the cultprit. We'll see when the part arrives. Too bad it doesn't happen to be on the list of 7/70 or 8/80 CA/Federal emissions warranty for the Evap Emissions control system, which lists a whopping ONE item, the fuel tank, for extended warranty. The other 16 items that comprise major components of the evap system enjoy no special warranty considerations. Interestly, the list of emissions warranty components on my Acura manual differs considerably from my wifes RX300 warranty, for the same model year, and very similar engine, even though both are supposed to follow CA and Federal standards. For example, they both have an evap cannister, but while one car brand is warranted by the feds, the other is not.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was in the car a few days ago when this happened in our car. MY wife says its happened before. This happened after pulling our 2001 with 50k miles 200 yards out of our garage and stopping at a corner.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts