Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Engine stumble/miss at low RPM

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  papawoolf 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 2002 MDX.

At lower RPM's, less than 1500RPM, the engine stumbles and misses slightly, until I give it some gas and it downshifts. This usually only happens when the A/C is on.

My MDX has about 45,000 miles on it, and I've used premium gas.

Anybody have a similar problem???

#2 ·
Just a couple of "might be's":
1. EGR valve starting to go bad. Has yours ever been replaced?
2. Cracked or loose vacuum hose somewhere in the engine compartment.

#4 ·
Thanks, I did a search on EGR and found several posts by people with identicle symptoms. I'll be taking it into the shop this week for a different problem, and I'll get them to check the EGR valve.

#5 ·
wckrause said:
Thanks, I did a search on EGR and found several posts by people with identicle symptoms. I'll be taking it into the shop this week for a different problem, and I'll get them to check the EGR valve.
Good luck on that if the Check Engine light hasn't come on yet; many dealers, if not most, won't even look if the light isn't on. (Note that many of us with the EGR problem had 2 lights -- Check Engine and VTM-4.) Keep us posted.

#6 ·
I haven't had either light come on, but the stumble/miss has gotten pretty bad, and it would be easy to demonstrate it to a mechanic if they can't duplicate it. The car is close to being undriveable because I can't cruise at 55mph unless I downshift manually. At 70 mph the RPMs are high enough to avoid the problem.

#7 ·
Just to update...

I told the service manager that it might be a bad EGR valve and guess what? It was a bad EGR valve.

I'll pick it up shortly and see if that really fixed it.

EDIT -- I picked it up and the car drives like new. Smooth, even as low as 1200 RPM.

Thanks again board.

#9 ·
Low RPM Engine Hesitation/Low City MPG

My 2001 MDX-Touring, with 79k miles, has the same issue. At approximately 1,500 to 1,800 RPM, at a steady speed, there is very subtle, but detectable hesitation. At higher RPM's or under acceleration, the problem seems to not be present. Also, I get horrible city mileage of 10-12 MPG, but 22 MPG cruising at 70 MPH.

At next oil change, I think I wlll replace air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve and egr valve.

#10 ·
I took my MDX in for this problem, but I didn't have the Check Engine and/or VTM-4 light come on. The dealer checked it out and they didn't find anything wrong and recommended changing gas stations (I use 91 octane at BP).

I month later still the same problem I went back and they replaced the EGR valve. I have driven about 1000 miles since the valve has been replaced and everything is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.