Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine unexpectedly stalled, engine stopped, but all lights and accessories were still on. This happened about 5 miles from the house, was able to pull over and have it towed back to the house. Has been driving fine for years, no major issues. Now when I try and start it, it turns over and starts, but only for a second or two, then dies. Any idea what could be going on? Has this happened to anyone else? It's a 2011 with 119K miles. Timing belt was changed at 100K, new battery about 3 months ago. I put in a new fuel pump relay, thinking that could be it. No luck. Still same problems. I cold be mistaken, but I don't think I hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key to on.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'd start with the fuel pump/pressure.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah, the pump relay is usually the prime suspect. Next would be to see if the pump is getting 12 volts for two seconds when the key is cycled on, and also after the engine starts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After typing all that, I decided to go back out and double check the fuel pump, this time with my son listening on the outside to hear if the pump was going when I switched the key to on. It was priming.
So I had spark, had fuel, but hadn't checked for air. I cleaned the air filter, checked the throttle body, took out the maf and map sensors and blew on them (literally, with my mouth...that usually seems to work with electronics). Put it all together and she started right up. It idled kind of low for a few seconds, then seemed to normalize. I'll clean the whole intake and throttle body tomorrow, but for now I'm happy to have figured out the issue. Thanks for your replys!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
After typing all that, I decided to go back out and double check the fuel pump, this time with my son listening on the outside to hear if the pump was going when I switched the key to on. It was priming.
So I had spark, had fuel, but hadn't checked for air. I cleaned the air filter, checked the throttle body, took out the maf and map sensors and blew on them (literally, with my mouth...that usually seems to work with electronics). Put it all together and she started right up. It idled kind of low for a few seconds, then seemed to normalize. I'll clean the whole intake and throttle body tomorrow, but for now I'm happy to have figured out the issue. Thanks for your replys!
From which part did you remove the most amount of junk? It is kind of hard to believe your intake passage can be so dirty. When was the last time you replaced air filter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts