Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There;

We have a 2012 MDX Elite which has been using a lot of oil. We took it to the stealership to have the oil consumption issue checked out while it was still under warranty. They made us fill out an oil consumption report and we also took pictures of the dipstick showing no oil in the engine at regular intervals. Nothing happened from them with regards to a fix. Now the warranty has run out and we received an email from our Service person (my comments in brackets):

"The Client Relations (at Acura Canada) contact is pretty straightforward, and no matter which way we look at it, since the car is now out of warranty anything we do would have to go as Goodwill.

Like I have previously mentioned the vehicle needs a engine rebuild in order to fix the oil consumption. The estimated cost is $9000 (Canadian $$ YIKES) and that would include a new / re-manufactured short block and cylinder head rebuild.

We do not want to turn you away without offering assistance. My service manager has agreed to cover part of the cost (probably very minimal) if you decided to go ahead with the repairs.

The other option would be possibly trading the vehicle in. I've been talking with (Sales Manager) and he would be willing to work out a fair price on a new vehicle considering the circumstances."

What should we do? Seems like they waited until it would not cost them money and then try to get us to buy something else!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was going to wait longer to be sure before I post something that is considered B.S. about how I fixed my oil consumption problem. Maybe this will help you out.

Disclaimer: It may or may not work for you. It's unconventional. It was stupidity to think afterward. Do it on your own risk.

A little background. Last year I started to notice my car consumed oil about a quart in 3000 miles. I just topped off and never gave a thought about it. In May of this year, I took a trip to Montreal, and in 650 miles trip I lost more than a quart. My concern got rampant. I ended up somewhere 1 quart / 1200-1500 miles. I've replaced the PCV valve, used EPR engine flush, used 5w30 grade, and fuel system cleaner. The 5w30 viscosity prolonged a little bit.

Before my last oil changed, I hit the service manual to learn how the PCV system works the night before. After I replaced the oil filter and refilled with fresh oil (75% Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, 25% PUP 0w-40), I started up the car. I decided to check to see if PCV valve is working. I proceeded to disconnect the PCV return hose from the intake manifold (stupiddddddddddddd). All of sudden a huge negative vacuum pressure sucked in high volume of air (20-25psi maybe). The engine began to slowly choke and shake. I did the inner hose inspection while the engine combustion sucked air in. I reconnected the hose just before the engine shut off. The engine idled normal again, and I gave no thought about it.

A few days had past. I started to notice the tailpipes did not accumulate black soot. I quietly thought to myself "hmmm the car does not consume oil." Then I proceeded to check oil level, but it was more than the 4.5 quarts I refilled (in the middle of RCA stamp). HOWEVER, I noticed black residue floating in the oil pan. Then I realized it may be carbon was sucking down through the cylinders, and increased oil level. I drove for a couple more days to allow the oil filter to capture the black residue. Then I replaced the oil filter, and the oil returned to max filled level.

It's been close to a 1000 miles now, and a trip to Montreal on Thanksgiving weekend. THE MDX DID NOT CONSUME A DROP OF OIL.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
how in the world can you get that much carbon deposit?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
if you are burning a quart every 1500 miles, that oil/carbon has to go somewhere!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I really don't have the slightest clue. All I know is I drained the old oil and removed old filter. Put new filter on, refilled 4.5 quarts. After the negative pressure, the oil level was at the middle of the RCA stamp, and there was carbon floating on the dipstick. I guess from active combustion plus whatever caked in the combustion chamber were forced down the cylinders. These carbon was probably acting like nano sand blasting free the stick rings.

·
Registered
734 Posts
nzone... are you saying that "neg vac pressure and a new oil filter" solved your oil consummation troubles?
I believe the negative vac pressure, not the oil filter. The oil filter was only used to capture the black residues. I didn't want to leave it until the next oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts