Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MDXers!

My 2008 MDX engine oil pressure switch is malfunctioning. The 'check engine oil level' light flashes intermittently. There are no bad engine sounds and the oil level is perfect. I just had an oil change.

I read the Service Bulletin from 2010 (attached) and I see what has to be done.

My question is, what if I do nothing for now? I have a 500 mile drive coming up on Saturday and can't get it in for service before the trip.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Just try to ignore it. The error code can be deleted. But once you turn the car on next time, it will pop up right away.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I read the bulletin, but I'm curious. How can we know for sure that it is a bad switch and not a faulty oil pump?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If you are really interested in knowing the oil pressure, you can either splice in an oil pressure gauge, or find a process ID in some ODB2 scanners. For most guys, they don't bother. If oil pump is bad, they probably have other issues to report.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Also, oil pump is literally soaked in engine oil all the time. If not leaking, how is it to fail? It not water pump which is fighting corrosive coolant all the time.

Reactions: tmacmama

·
Registered
2008 MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just try to ignore it. The error code can be deleted. But once you turn the car on next time, it will pop up right away.

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts