Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scheduled a 15,000 mile service for my 01 MDX. The dealer say that Acura recommends an engine oil flush every 12,000 miles or annually. Is this really necessary, I don't recall doing this on any car that I have owned in the past.
Also he is recommending a wheel alignment before even looking at the car.
The cost is $99 for the flush and $60 for the alignment ( 4 wheels)
Cost is not the issue just is it necessary.
Thanks for your replys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The engine oil "flush" is crap. Acura recommends that you change the oil, not flush it out with some chemical wash.

You probably don't need an alignment either, but it does need to be done occasionally. If you tires are wearing funny or the steering pulls to one side or the other then I would think about the alignment.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
For what it's worth, I always use a reliable tire/brake shop for tire/brake service if I am dealing with normal wear & tear, and pad replacements, etc.

Often, many dealerships have contracts with such shops, and drop your car off there for those services.

The one I have been frequenting for some 10 years, does excellent work at fair prices, free flat repair, only charges for alignment if it is out of alignment!!!
etc. etc.

Unless I have a warranty claim for a defective brakes, steering, shock, or tire, on a new vehicle, I let the specialty shop do the normal maintenance for the running gear. Saves me money, and usually time. A good shop will also tell you if there is a problem you should have your dealer address. If the shop finds a 'defect' have them write down a description of the problem and take it to the dealer. Don't have them fix it and expect the dealer to just reimburse you on the spot! The dealer is obligated to verify if there is a problem at your request and fix it accordingly, especially if it affects safety.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If Acura recommended an engine oil flush, it would be in both the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual. It isn't.

I agree with bdespain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Call a second dealer, just to see what they say. It sounds like that dealer just wants to squezze as much money out of you as possible.

Acuras are such reliable cars, the repair shops have to make things up to get business!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is just that dealer's way of making extra $$$. Remember, all dealerships operate differently and most will always ignore what the owner's manual says.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
olivher said:
That is just that dealer's way of making extra $$$. Remember, all dealerships operate differently and most will always ignore what the owner's manual says.
Sad but too true!

I would invest a bit of effort in this little scam artist:

1) Call Acura Corp. customer care line. Let 'em know that this goof ball is scammin'

2) Write a letter to the OWNER of the dealership telling him(?her -- unlikely) that you have ratted them out to Acura Customer Care & you won't be back for anymore service & you will, be means of the internet, tell LOTS of people what to expect from the hucksters that run the service dept.

3) GET TOUGH! When you pay MSRP for a LUXURY car the idiots ought to at least respect you!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You don't want to FLUSH as those products tend to SWELL THE OIL SEALS as a "feature".

On the alignment thing, I use (oddly enough) my local Firestone Store. I bought a Lifetime Wheel Alignment/Tire Rotation/Balance deal from them for $120.

I had the same thing on my '97 CL 3.0. Very good deal if you have crappy roads or hop curbs (both popular things in Texas). Under their agreement, you get alignments up to 4 times per year.

Another FWIW.. I just had mine aligned, and the "castor" setting was wacked. I have 1700 miles on my MDX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
dbarry
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing