Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

For those who DIY their engine oil change, can you please share how much oil did you added after draining?
I always let it drain for 20-30 mins, but when filling new oil, sometime 5qts will reach to the middle point of the dipstick, and sometimes 5.3qts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I always always do about 5.5-5.7 qts on my 2015. I also always change the oil filter too and let both sit there until it’s a slow drip.

114k miles and it runs like new (when it starts)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I close the drain bolt too fast, next time I will let both sit for longer

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
i don’t even bother to check the dipstick anymore after a fill. I drain and put in 5.5ish quarts and walk away.

For trans I drain and put in a full 4 quarts and walk away.

For rear diff I pump until it dribbles. I drive around the block and go reverse and add a bit more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are you trying to drain warm or cold oil? You should always warm the motor before draining oil. Drain 1-2 minutes is more than sufficient. Replace the filter. Add 5 qts of oil start the motor let it run maybe a minute, shut it off. Wait a couple minutes while you check for leaks. Check the dip stick and top up as needed. If you ever watched a shop change oil? They sure dont wait 30 minutes. Thats plane silly. Sorry☹

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you trying to drain warm or cold oil? You should always warm the motor before draining oil. Drain 1-2 minutes is more than sufficient. Replace the filter. Add 5 qts of oil start the motor let it run maybe a minute, shut it off. Wait a couple minutes while you check for leaks. Check the dip stick and top up as needed. If you ever watched a shop change oil? They sure dont wait 30 minutes. Thats plane silly. Sorry☹
Ya, maybe I didn't warm up the car last time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only warm the motor in winter, in summer i don't bother to do it. Like everyone said, i always fill about 5.5-5.7 qt.
I didn't know how much I drained out last time, but when refilling, the dipstick reads full when I only putting 5.1 qts in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It makes very little difference how much drains out. Whwt matters is the stick reads full AFTER you have started and circulated oil thru the system, shut the engine off and let the oil drain back down. You guys are really over thinking what is a pretty basic procedure.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It makes very little difference how much drains out.....
I agree - drain, fill and walk away.

But I do like to know how much oil my car(s) are burning. For the MDX I drain and get over 5 qtrs when I change the oil at 6k or under. When I go 7-9k I get just about 5 quarts.

No matter what drains out I add 5.5ish quarts. I haven’t looked at a dip stick measurement in a long while. I just know my cars.

I picked up a friend of mine at night in my 12 year old Accord and he asked me “is this a new car” runs smooth but it’s also super clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just like Localbar..5.5 - 5.7 last 10 times or so. No issues whatsoever....a good idea about driving around for the diff. I didn't do that for the first time and will do so on my next one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts