Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why when i change my engine oil & filter and put 4.5 qts back in it always reads overfull on the stick on level ground?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Probably you should start the engine and allow it to run for at least a few minutes to distribute the new oil. Then turn off the engine and allow the oil to drain back down to the oil pan for at least five to ten minutes. You may not need to pour in the entire 4.5 U.S. quarts of new oil in order for the oil level to reach the maximum line on the dipstick. I usually pour in about 4 to 4.25 U.S. quarts of oil at first. Then, after the short trip to nearest JeffiLube to recycle the oil, if necessary, I slowly pour more oil and repeatedly check the level on the dipstick until it reaches just at or below the upper line of the cross-hatched area on the tip of the dipstick.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt matter if i check it hot or cold it always reads above the full mark with the 4.5 qts that the manual calls for

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
All Hondas are meant to be measured when the engine is HOT! this is because oil circulates and gets stuck on the sides of the heads and block this means the oil level will drop as opposed when cold when the oil has time to drip down and artificially rise the oil level…. Never check the oil level Cold vs Hot... You use 1 method only.

-If you want to check it when cold do it in the morning the level should be barely above the full mark.
-If you want to check it when hot do it after you used the car and turn it off, check it after a minute later. Oil should be between both marks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
why when i change my engine oil & filter and put 4.5 qts back in it always reads overfull on the stick on level ground?
do you fill the oil filter with oil? If not there's a reason why it shows high since you are pouring 4.5 quarts straight into the pan. Always fill filter with oil during replacement!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All Hondas are meant to be measured when the engine is HOT! this is because oil circulates and gets stuck on the sides of the heads and block this means the oil level will drop as opposed when cold when the oil has time to drip down and artificially rise the oil level…. Never check the oil level Cold vs Hot... You use 1 method only.

-If you want to check it when cold do it in the morning the level should be barely above the full mark.
-If you want to check it when hot do it after you used the car and turn it off, check it after a minute later. Oil should be between both marks.
yep your right checked it a little warm and it was good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts