Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. With a 2020 mdx where shifter is now a button is it acceptable to turn engine off when the mdx is fully stoped with break depressed vs going into park first?

also does anyone know if the 2020 activates brakes in reverse if it senses something behind the MDX similar to how infinity suvs do?

thanks and stay safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've turned off my 17 about few times with it in Drive, so its okay. The push button shifter is idiot proof. Unless your MDX has parking sensors, it won't apply brakes in reverse from my experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. I mean should I ever put it in park again or always turn off from drive because the mdx puts it in park as part of turning off? I do have parking sensors in the 2020 thus wondering if acura implemented the self brake feature in reverse.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I mean should I ever put it in park again or always turn off from drive because the mdx puts it in park as part of turning off? I do have parking sensors in the 2020 thus wondering if acura implemented the self brake feature in reverse.
I would still press that park button every time before I turn off the vehicle. The vehicle just put the safety measure to switch from drive to park when you switch the car off by accident before putting it in park.

For your second part, I have a Nissan Rogue that slams on the brakes even for a slight detection with the parking sensors. Others here have to chip in for the parking sensors part, but I believe the MDX when equipped with the sensors should have the feature.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My 19 MDX Adv gives me the cross traffic visual/audio alert if a car, person, object is behind me when in reverse (no auto braking). I usually put the MDX in Park before turning it off. I have occasionally got distracted and turned off the MDX in Drive and it switched to Park automatically.

You might have to play with MDX and double-check the manual to see how everything works. Between Brake Hold, electronic parking brake, Car Wash feature, remote start, Auto Stop/Start, starting/stopping the MDX engine (or accessory mode) with your foot on or off the brake can do different things if you are not familiar with the features and audible beeps.

Reactions: Aruca1

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
With 2019, parking sensor detects objects, provide warning alerts, but didn't auto brake in reverse mode.

Reactions: Aruca1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Always stay in the habit of putting the car in park! If you train yourself not to, when you switch to a different vehicle you may forget and that car can roll away, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.
It's also a smart idea to apply the parking brake every time you park the car too, prevents damage to the parking pawl in the transmission. It takes 2 seconds max

Don't expect any car to do the job of an attentive driver.
My sister used to rely only on her parking sensors and backup camera, until she backed into a tree branch in a parking lot that shattered her back window... sensors cant see what's a few feet above the ground like she could have by looking over her shoulder.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
As stated here. You should stay in the habit of putting the car in park. There is no rear auto braking on the mdx. It will beep but won’t stop. I know.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have done the ignition off while in drive thing multiple time.

The MDX is kinda making it fool proof.

I stopped to answer a text the other day while in drive and opened the drivers door. The MDX instantly switches from drive to park.

·
Registered
35 Posts
3 things you could do 1) read your owners manual 2) talk with you dealership service management or 3) hit your Acura Link button and talk to the Agent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Things I’ve learned with my 2020 Advance. No brakes applied while backing. It chirps, beeps, then steady tone, but it does not brake. Also, I learned that if you open the driver’s door it automatically shifts into park. It doesn’t do that when the passenger door is opened. The rain sensor wipers are amazing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts