Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on the site about engine noise. I've had some recently and also increased oil consumption. I burn about ½ litre per 3000km. I took it into a dealer not too long ago and all they found was the oil about half down between dipstick marks and after topping it up the noise was gone. I hear a rattle type of noise during acceleration, seems to go away when I'm around 50 km/h. I use premium fuel form Costco and my VIN doesn't apply to the service bulletin on engine ping. Driving an 11 with 133 000km.

Curious what your MDX burns oil wise and if anybody else has this issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well after about 2000km my dipstick reading was about half. I haven't had any noise however.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a bit of an update.

Today my neighbour told me he heard my truck make a funny noise when I drove away last weekend. So I took him for a drive with me and we could hear the "rattle" at a higher RPM and not as defined as with ½ litre of oil missing, as was the case when he heard it. So after our ride we revved the engine in my driveway with the hood up, it's clearly coming from the engine, sounds like from the top. As I said above I use premium gas from Costco but my next fill up will be from somewhere else to see if the noise still happens and go from there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Costco has good gas, and I trust it to be of highest quality [additives]..
I really dont think gas has anything to do with your engine noise..

I am going to the oil and / or valve adjustments..

what oil do you use? dino juice or synthetics? IMO it will make a difference. My DX consumed a little oil when i got it a year ago now..
I took over the simple maintenance that was previously done at the dealer.. [I was not impressed with OEM oils.. my engine has a fairly important varnish deposits that I am presently trying to remove..]
I switch to Penz Plat [ OH look .. its on sale again at Cdn Tire next week... ;) ] My oil consumption drop to -zero-.

Otherwise your mileage is high enough to warrant a valve adjustment check-up

my 2c
j.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Reminds me of lifter tick in my old BMW. If I drove it hard and the lifters were starved for oil they would tick and follow the RPMs. A valve adjustment could be needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, will look into a valve adjustment. I do use synthetic oil only. Still going to try gas from a different place for peace of mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to the dealer about a valve adjustment, they said 3-4 hours. Going Friday morning for a diagnostic and see if it's required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, 3 hours at the dealership and a 2 hour bill for an ECM reprogram from a bulletin my truck's VIN didn't fall under. That being said I didn't hear the noise on the way home. I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Costco has good gas, and I trust it to be of highest quality [additives]..
I really dont think gas has anything to do with your engine noise..

I am going to the oil and / or valve adjustments..

what oil do you use? dino juice or synthetics? IMO it will make a difference. My DX consumed a little oil when i got it a year ago now..
I took over the simple maintenance that was previously done at the dealer.. [I was not impressed with OEM oils.. my engine has a fairly important varnish deposits that I am presently trying to remove..]
I switch to Penz Plat [ OH look .. its on sale again at Cdn Tire next week... ;) ] My oil consumption drop to -zero-.

Otherwise your mileage is high enough to warrant a valve adjustment check-up

my 2c
j.
I use synthetic. What grade oil do you use?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts