Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean up my engine and got some Gunk engine degreaser in a spray can. The back of it says not to use on asphalt - that means driveways, right? Where would you park your car to use this stuff then? I have a concrete floor garage but don't want the residue to dry and muck up the floor on that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I will suggest that you do this carefully. There are parts that aren't really supposed to get wet. I prefer just regularly wiping down everything I can reach with rags moistened with an all-purpose cleaner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How I Clean My Engine

I like to keep my engine and everything else under the hood nice and clean, so I always us Simple Green. It's not only a great degreaser, but its environmentally friendly. Meaning you can use it in your driveway as well as any overspray won't harm your paint.

I usually take some plastic wrap of some kind, like GLAD or Saran Wrap and cover all the vital electrical components that I don't want to get wet.

I then liberally spray Simple Green all over everything. Of course do this on a cool engine.

I let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes and then hose off. If you have some areas with heavier grease and dirt, just use a rag to wipe it off as your hosing down.

Let dry and you're good to go; it really makes everything look brand new.

One of the best things about using Simple Green is that the smell is much better than the Gunk Engine Degreaser. You are going to inevitably have some smell in your cabin after doing this and Simple Green is much easier on the nose than the Gunk. The Gunk smells like a mix between auto fuel and old school hand cleaner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to clean up my engine and got some Gunk engine degreaser in a spray can. The back of it says not to use on asphalt - that means driveways, right? Where would you park your car to use this stuff then? I have a concrete floor garage but don't want the residue to dry and muck up the floor on that.
Try a self serve coin-op car wash, they allow it there. In fact, some even have a setting on their nozzle for degreasing. As to what to cover, I am not sure. I am looking forward to that answer as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I really see no good reason to do this unless you had a spill. My MDX is 11 years old and I still have no reason to do this. Wipe down what you can with simple green versus risking damaging something with the cleaner or water.

I did use this in the past on an engine that got spayed with oil. I used it on my driveway and just sprayed it down when done. My guess they want to protect themselves from liability when it is sprayed on a driveway and drains into the public sewer system

·
Registered
374 Posts
FWIW I'd advise not spraying any of the engine cleaner (GUNK or the like) on your serpentine belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend you to use spray degreaser you can get it from any local automobile shops ,I am currently using Rx spray degrease it works best for me , spray degreasers can be cleaned easilythats the best part and it does not damages any part too .
---------------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser

·
Registered
63 Posts
I
Can I use to degrease it something like WD??
It certainly can’t hurt to try. I would guess it would work.

The good thing about simple green is that it’s a “safe” product to use. I use it on quite a lot around our house and it performs great.

I know I sound like a infomercial for it, but I really do like what it can do. All the while something you can wash down your driveway and into the sewer system.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I

It certainly can’t hurt to try. I would guess it would work.

The good thing about simple green is that it’s a “safe” product to use. I use it on quite a lot around our house and it performs great.

I know I sound like a infomercial for it, but I really do like what it can do. All the while something you can wash down your driveway and into the sewer system.
I'm not sure what WD is, unless we are talking about WD40. That said, the issue is not the degreaser that is an issue for the sewer, but the grease itself as that should not be washed down the driveway. The most responsible way to degrease is to go to your local self serve car wash. There is a low pressure foaming degreaser option and the car wash has to separate the grease with traps to keep it from getting into the water supply. It only costs a couple bucks and is environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I inspect at home and remove any plastic covers to get to hard to reach places. Really looking for new oily spots since last engine wash from oil, coolant, A/C, brake fluid, or fuel leaks. I usually go down to the local coin operated U-Wash-IT places and spray wash with their soap/degreaser and finish up with spot free rinse. I drive the vehicle around for 15-20 mins afterward at hwy speeds to help dry the engine bay. Back home to wipe down any wet spots.

A little easier in the southwest because we only get 10 inches or less of precipitation in a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts