Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thought this would interest you. I came across this comment on VTEC.net regarding an article about the new Accord EX V6 being dynoed. The writer mentioned that it was a 'green', ie barely used (low mile) engine. One of the comments was this:

"The engine is not just 'green', it is still running on break-in parameters. When the ECU has integrated enough cold starts, rpm, etc. there will be a parameter change affecting:ignition timing, VTEC onset, fuel admission. Also, premium fuel is good for a little less than 10% increase. My CRV changed parameters at approx 5200 km and it was very noticeable. The Honda Pilot changes in the vicinity of 10000km. Source? I have attended the Honda training seminars here in Canada. "

Well now, this sounds believable. I wonder then, if one of u can find out for us the "change" parameters for the MDX? 01/02 and/or the 03 engines? Hmm. It seems to me that your car will output torque different after X miles regardless of how u drive it or what u fill her up with. :eek: :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Interesting...

...but seems a bit complicated.

I know that many (?most) electronic engine controls have a capacity to store frequently accessed driving styles and modify their baseline settings to improve driveability, emissions, warm-up et cetera. The theory is that "knowing what USUALLY happens" allows the controller to avaoid doing the entire over/under calculation for each combination of settings it is capable of...

IF Honda decides to specifically "detune" motor controls for the 'break-in' it would seem that the job of mechanics is made much harder --they would have to diagnosis drivability problems for "break-in" as well as "normal mode".

What happens when the controller itself needs to be replaced? Does the controller poll the odometer's memory setting for straight distance. Is there some other "history module" with non-volatile memory that holds the data on RPMs, number of starts, and similary info?

Anything is possible, the question is always cost vs benefits...

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
ROBSJ

Rob,

I bet you can answer this!

·
Registered
340 Posts
True!!

I can confirm that I personally know the Honda Canada person who wrote that post on VTEC.NET and certainly trust what he says. We talked about the sudden change in his CRV at 5200Km. He happened to be accelerating at the time and could easily feel the change.
He also attended the Pilot training and I asked him to find out why some early testing in some US magazines indicated a mid RPM hesitation. (I was considering a Pilot at the time) The response from the Honda canada rep was as he described - there is a set a "break-in" ECU parameters and that the "hesitation" will disappear when the break-in is complete!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, thanks

Now we just need confirmation on best practices with an MDX/Pilot engine when brand new and what not.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
GM used to use something like this at least a decade ago. It was called the E-Cell. It was something that was based on mileage or engine run time. The computer had a different set of FI maps that were a little more rich biased to help the engine break in properly. Some other manufacturers had something similar.

However, they stopped using this because of better computer control technology and engine assembly procedures came about. It's kinda like how they stopped putting "break in" oil in engines many many years ago.

If Honda's still doing this, that's news to me. Part of the TQI/PDI process is soemthing called an idle learn procedure where you pretty much just let the car idle for at least five minutes. If the tech doesn't do this (and most didn't...you'd be amazed what techs did to fresh engines on PDI) the engine could run funky for a while and take some time to smooth itself out.

Rob

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok why is it so hard for one of us to go to a service bay at any dealer and ask them this question???????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding Engine Hesitation

Two months ago I took delivery of my new 2003 MDX Touring with nav. My overall experience with this vehicle has been very positive. However, I have noticed that the engine does in fact hesitate during acceleration in "mid" rpm situations and higher. I realize that I only have 2000 miles on the engine and that based on this thread I likely have not passed the ECU reset parameters. Has anyone yet determined what the ECU break in parameters are for the 2003? I called Acura customer service and they said they had never even heard of the problem. I am assuming from this thread that I shouldn't really worry about this hesitation for a while, . . . 3106 -6213 miles? :2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts