Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 2016 MDX in for servicing at my Acura dealer. They suggested changing my engine air and cabin air filters. They quoted $100. for this service. This seemed very high so I declined. I plan to change the filters myself and am wondering if I should purchase Acura OEM filters or go with something from Auto Zone. I see prices varying from $15 to $50. Anybody have a good discount online source for Acura OEM filters?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, both filters are fairly straight forward DIY..
No need to spend bigger dollars on OEM... many after market filters will do just fine.
my 2c
j

Reactions: mdxbm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have found it difficult to find an engine air filter for Gen 3 MDX at NAPA, WalMart, AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts. Had to break down and buy Acura OEM.

Cabin air filters can be found everywhere.

It’s ridiculous the prices charged at Acura stealerships to perform these 30 second filter changes.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I decided to use the OEM filters - not much more expensive than aftermarket and actually less expensive than some. I priced them online at oemacuraparts, an advertiser on this site I think, and a contributor (Tim), which has decent pricing, but ended up buying the parts at my local Acura dealer (a different one than where I purchased the vehicle) but only after getting them to match the online price. This latter was a bit of a hassle and next time I'll probably just buy them online from oemacuraparts.

It's super simple to change these yourself - no need at all to have a dealer do it and it'll actually take less of your time to do it yourself than having the dealer do it unless the vehicle's there for some other reason. The time it takes is maybe 5 minutes.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have found it difficult to find an engine air filter for Gen 3 MDX at NAPA, WalMart, AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts. Had to break down and buy Acura OEM.

Cabin air filters can be found everywhere.

It’s ridiculous the prices charged at Acura stealerships to perform these 30 second filter changes.
Engine air filter changed from 2014-2015 MDX to 2016+. 2016+ are the same as 3rd-gen Pilot ( 2016+ ), so pretty easy to find. For 2014-2015 MDX not so much. Cabin filter stayed the same and is easy to find.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
OEM engine air filter and cabin air filter should be ~$45 delivered from the usual online stores.

WIX is a quality alternative. You can get both filters for ~$32 delivered from RockAuto.

For stuff like this I usually buy in batches... A few sets of air filters, oil filters, washers, etc... Helps with shipping costs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OEM engine air filter and cabin air filter should be ~$45 delivered from the usual online stores.

WIX is a quality alternative. You can get both filters for ~$32 delivered from RockAuto.

For stuff like this I usually buy in batches... A few sets of air filters, oil filters, washers, etc... Helps with shipping costs.
Second the mention of RockAuto. The website is lacking bells & whistles, but the selection, prices and customer service are a tough combination to beat.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Skip the service desk and go to the parts desk and have a conversation with them and say I can get the filters online for xyz. Can you help me? My Acura beat it and has always beat any online price. I use OEM Acura or Wix engine filters. Cabin use whatever is cheaper which these days OEM is cheaper than aftermarket. Though I have seen some sub $10 online but no one has a review on them. Cabin filters sound like it’s a big deal but they are not. Really who cares they only filter out the air inside your car and nothing to do with the engine. So I’d buy 2 $10 filters all day long before 1 $30 one.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Agreed that the cabin filter is no big deal. However, there are differences. Apparently the OEM filter in a new MDX has a carbon-infused cabin filter, but the official Acura parts filter is plain paper. There are aftermarket cabin filters that are carbon-infused, which might help remove external smells. Fram sells one (CF10134) which has both carbon and an air freshener, for $11 on Amazon. I will be installing it next week.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Use the OEM. The after market are cheaper because they are lower quality materials. A friend of mine is a Honda mechanic. He has worked on my car for free at home and I don't take my Acura to his dealership. He advises against after market. I trust him.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Avoid the K&N filter. It does an extremely poor job at filtering.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I get my Acura parts wholesale which is about the same prices as the online Acura parts. Wix is a good line if they have one that fits. That said, the last three or four orders I've had thru Rock Auto for 10 year old cars were parts that had been sitting on a shelf. The rubber was going bad, plastic sun hardened, the tailgate lifts were scratched and in sun faded boxes, they are already very weak only six months later. Used to be they had good parts at good prices but between Ebay, Amazon and the wholesale Acura parts online I'd look elsewhere these days and I have told Rock Auto that - their reply was if you don't like them return them. No customer service in their mood whatsoever. Plugs and things like that Denso or Sparkplug.com has good deals. Napa has a line of filters made by I think Wix.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'd look elsewhere these days and I have told Rock Auto that - their reply was if you don't like them return them. No customer service in their mood whatsoever.
Out of curiosity, what response did you want? If they were willing to take them back, then I don't see how they could do more for you... Unless you wanted to keep them and still get a refund?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I was looking for someone to say they would try to get me something other than marginal parts or send a return label . They sent me a canned reply. Their Csutomer service number gave me a 1-800 number to call and arrange a shipment back. I don't have time for that crap. The wiper blade plastic containers were so sun damaeged they crumbled in my hands - that is what was left of them that didn't crumble in shipment. The rubber was crazed and starting to disintegrate. What they shipped me the last 3 times was junk. I expect something other than junk when I order a part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.