Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read the thread about the radio function change by accessing the diagnostic mode, it raised a question, and with my having a base model, I cannot get the answer.

When following the instructions within the thread about accessing the DSP model, and changing to flat, I found another lil discovery......hopefully this isn't old new, please enlighten me, and I'll nuke this asap if so.

Start with the - Audio+back+menu than press and hold enter for 3 sec.

Now......I found an interesting menu item that said something like driving restrictions, or the like, and thought....he, this sounds like a description for the annoying nanny state function killers when I take my car out of park.

Sure enough, when I disabled this function, I was able to do wonderful yet dangerous new things when driving, like change my screen colour background and bring up the lower screen dial pad and upper screen dial pad to manually dial and make a call while driving.

In fact, I can access any function on the screen/menu when in this mode and driving......only caveat, the function appears to automatically default back after I turn off the ignition.......the upside, it can be easily and quickly disabled again, even while driving.

This made me wonder if those of you with the NAV which is damn near crippled when moving, could access the same........anyone tried and know?

I cannot imagine this has not been tried and/or documented, but if so, I have missed it, so thought I would post in the extreme off chance.

Bueller?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I've always wondered if there is a menu that let's us save these settings... Good find anyway!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
My wife drives the MDX on a daily basis, so I don't think I'd be able to get a chance to mess around with this feature you've unlocked. Please play around with the system some more and let us know what you find out.

I understand why Acura has locked out user input while the vehicle is in motion, but I still would have preferred that they gave the owner the ability to disable it. Pretty much all the time we use the Nav, my wife or I would be in the front passenger seat and set the destination from there; the passenger is not controlling the vehicle, right? :rolleyes:
How hard would it be for Acura to link a front passenger seat occupant sensor to the Nav unit? It doesn't seem like a complicated solution to me. I'd like them to tell me why this wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a 2016 MDX w/Advance and have been following the discussions on this forum closely. The forum has been a fabulous resource.

Relative to the NAV system. I have read that there is an app that allows you to send an address from your phone to the NAV system. If that is correct does that work while the car is in motion?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a 2016 MDX w/Advance and have been following the discussions on this forum closely. The forum has been a fabulous resource.

Relative to the NAV system. I have read that there is an app that allows you to send an address from your phone to the NAV system. If that is correct does that work while the car is in motion?
Yes. But you have to pay for AcuraLink "Connect" type of package (~ couple hundred $$ a year plus/minus if sign 2-3 years). Also if you have this kind of service, you can simply call from you dash, talk to live person and he can send you the address into the NAV system in real time while you are driving.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

What Aulex said but I will tell you, the AcuraLink app is a POS (android version at least, not sure about iOS). It's an incredibly poor execution of a Mirrorlink product.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used AcuraLink app on iOS. It's a bit slow (takes ~ 1 min) to get the status of the car (mileage, doors locked or unlocked) or to send command, like lock/unlock doors, blink headlights etc. It's not bad actually, I just can't find much use for it other than playing with these features. I wish you could start engine with it, that would allow warming up, but I don't think Acura will go for it, too dangerous if car parked in close space in the garage etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Start with the - Audio+back+menu than press and hold enter for 3 sec.

Now......I found an interesting menu item that said something like driving restrictions, or the like, and thought....he, this sounds like a description for the annoying nanny state function killers when I take my car out of park.
News to me!

The caveat regarding that the mode reverts to a default 'on' setting is no good - any chance you have photos to document the screens and menus where you changed settings?

·
Registered
357 Posts
On the Odyssey forum we called it a "Green Menu". Unfortunately no one ever found a solution on how to keep those settings permanently. Sorry to disappoint.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So I'm in my 2014 MDX right now, holding down the audio button, back button, and menu button, simultaneously, and then pressing and holding the ENTER button in the middle of the scroll wheel, does nothing in my car... This is with the audio power off or on, vehicle running in park... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm in my 2014 MDX right now, holding down the audio button, back button, and menu button, simultaneously, and then pressing and holding the ENTER button in the middle of the scroll wheel, does nothing in my car... This is with the audio power off or on, vehicle running in park... Any thoughts?
Was going to edit the original post, but this forum does not allow it, so hope this helps:

• Step 1 - Press and hold all 3 together (Audio+back+menu) wait for screen change
  • Step 2 - Press and hold "ENTER" (middle of wheel) until beep and screen changes.
  • Step 3 - Navigate to menu items with wheel, use enter in middle to select/deselect, and then wheel again to go back to "return" in upper right corner when completed.
  • Step 4 - click "return" on lower screen by touch to get it to go back.

Below are a few images as to what you will see. Once this is completed, takes less than 1minute, you should be able to access any/all menu items while driving at any speed, including phone book, dial pad, bluetooth pairing, full call history, phone book, whatever.

My assumption is that this may also be a quick temp fix to operating the nav system, but again, I have a base model, so cannot test.

This process can be done on the fly, so if it worked for those with nav, would be a great on a road trip or such.

And again, this seems to revert back to the default when you turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for that NOOB!

I'll try that on my '14 Tech this afternoon. Did you have the vehicle running? I'll try both running and ACC1/2 modes. Also with radio on/off as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice little nugget there, bummer it returns after restart, but I suppose if you're really annoyed sometime down the road, it's a good little feature you can light up so passengers can do the NAV, etc while you drive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tried this on my 2015 adv. and no luck. I could get the Nav+Back+Menu to work but nothing about operation restrictions. But 2015 has different firmware.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Diagnostic/Hidden Menu

My 2014 doesn't have an "Audio" button. It's got "Front Audio", and Rear Audio" and of course "Menu" and "Back". Neither the Front/Rear Audio buttons when pressed with the Menu & Back keys/buttons bring up a hidden menu. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:headshake

·
Registered
56 Posts
On 2016 advanced, there is the "operation restriction" option on the second screen of the developer menu.

However it only has two options: B-CAN and VSP. No idea what those mean, maybe some one here does :) See screenshots below:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts