Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had their EGR valve replaced? The symptoms were the Check Engine Light came on, and the VTM4 light. It also caused the idle to become erratic. It had set 2 codes P0172/fuel trim to rich (Bank 1) and P1491/EGR Valve Insufficent Lift. The only problem I have is the EGR valve is not invloved when the the engine is idling. It only opens when you are driving down the road, to reduce the combustion chamber tempatures to lower emissions, specifically to lower NOx. The EGR valve could have affected the idle if carbon buildup on the valve did not allow the valve to close completly. I seemed to remember reading somewhere that the 3.5 engine had a carbon buildup problem. I do not remember where I read this. Anyone else heard of a carbon buildup problem on the 3.5 engine. There was a carbon buildup problem on the old 3.2 in the Legend that caused the piston rings to stick and caused piston slap.

Greg in Atlanta

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Just had this done on my wifes 99 TL.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add it is a 2001 with just a little over 30,000 miles. Since the first oil change it has had Mobil 1 oil, I doubt that has anything to do with it, as it uses no oil between changes at 7,500 miles intervals.

Greg in Atlanta

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had it done on my previous '96 Accord EX. It's covered under warranty also. So the repair was free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts