Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remain critical of Edmunds' reviews but I have to admit this one shocked me:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46528/article.html

They placed the TL-S first, the BMW 330i (which they often hold as the "ideal") second, and the Volvo S60 and Lexus IS300 tied for third.

Here's a familiar refrain -- they think the TL-S isn't necessarily the best at any particular thing, but is overall really good, and a bargain at the price relative to the competition, and that they feel Acura reduced costs in the quality of materials. In fact, they felt the 330i was better but couldn't ignore the big price difference (the TL-S was the second cheapest vehicle they tested, and it had the navi to boot!). The TL-S was only third in their "personal picks" category but first in their "recommended picks" category.

Some more surprises ... they put the much-heralded new MB C320 only in fifth place (out of nine vehicles; and it's not hard to beat the Cadillac Catera and Mazda Millenia!). Also pointed out that the MB had build quality issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That report sums up why I bought a TL-S.
It has all the things I want, nothing I don't want, for considerably less than those Euro cars.

For sure I would go for a BMW if money and value were not an issue. But it was, and I'm just as happy.

Plus, I had enough left over to buy a MDX too :D
TLSKev

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well deserved. The TL-S is a great car. The MB C class has build quality issues; I frequent a VW forum site and there is a MB service manager that also visits the site and he recommends staying away from the C class; a lot of build quality issues.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Couldn't agree more

ditto TLSKev

I too feel the TL-S is the best sports sedan for the money.
Just like the MDX is the best SUV for the money!
I also believe that Acura has a winner in the new RSX.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a '99 TL, test drove the '02 TL-S, and bought a 330i. Honestly, part of my descision was to get a different car just for the change.

The Acuras are VERY well equipped for the price. The BMW's are POORLY equipped and you have to spend a bundle to get what you want. Leather is an option, if you can believe that!

After all of my research and test drives, I felt that the 330 was something I would want to drive for the next three years. The handling is first rate and the engine at 225hp rivals that of the 260hp type S. The transmission is flawless and smooth.

I was lucky to grab a 2002 that was special ordered and then made available due to a problem with the original buyer's financing so I got a great lease rate and a few extras that I didn't need but I'm happy to have.

BTW - Their nav system is terrible. I didn't get it and I will probably miss it at times but their user interface it horrible. No touch screen is the biggest drawback.

I should also add that I was very reluctant to buy a BMW simply because of the image. In my business, it's not always best to show up in a car that it perceived to be top-dollar. In the short time that I have had it, I have pointed out to several clients that I got the deal of the century and couldn't pass it up. I didn't lease it for the emblem. If that was the case, my other car would ne an X5 or, God forbid, an RX300. I LOVE my MDX!

Dan

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ditto, Ditto, & Ditto

intrceptor said:
The Acuras are VERY well equipped for the price. The BMW's are POORLY equipped and you have to spend a bundle to get what you want. Leather is an option, if you can believe that!
I have always said that Acura excells in providing bang for the buck. Leather is an "option" in Lexus as well:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts