Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for anyone who has ebony interior and has lived through extreme heat or cold:

Are the seats unbearable in the heat of the summer? What about the winter? I know the front seats are heated, but the kids might complain about the rear.

I've always had light gray cloth interiors which have been very comfortable.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mdxdad said:
A question for anyone who has ebony interior and has lived through extreme heat or cold:

Are the seats unbearable in the heat of the summer? What about the winter? I know the front seats are heated, but the kids might complain about the rear.

I've always had light gray cloth interiors which have been very comfortable.

Thanks
You know...I have no complaints so far. I live in San Diego...however...duing the winter I drive to the mountains a lot to snowboard and the temperature ranges anywhere between 15 degrees to as high as 45 degrees. The heated seats are fine and once you turn on the auto climate control for heating...it circulate very well.
During the summer I drive and stay in Palm Springs...where I do some work there and the heat there are 115 degrees during the day and 90 degrees at night. Keep in mind..I have a black on ebony...and again..with the auto climate control..it keeps the car very cool. One thing that am considering doing is to put tint on the front driver and front passenger windows to match the rear. This will help alot since its a black car.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I live in northern Minnesota, it was -15 this morning, finally getting some real winter temperatures. Those back seats get very cold, they take the heat right out of my 35 and 50 lb kids.

I suppose being ebony, they warm up faster with direct sunlight. No matter, I keep a couple polar fleece blankets in back for the boys to sit on, and will eventually get sheepskin for the back (do a search on this to find a vendor, there have been lots of discussion on sheepskin seat covers, courtesy DMor).

Summertime has been just fine, they never get too hot, because the back seats don't get direct sun.

All that said, I like the ebony! :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Re: Ebony Leather....Good or Bad?

Fireblade6 said:

....I have a black on ebony...and again..with the auto climate control..it keeps the car very cool....
I did not get the ebony leather this time because of the leather color, even though I don't really know how much difference the tan color will make. My BMW sedan has nice black leather and it is cooking hot during the summer time. The problem is at the time you get inside the car at a mall parking lot in the summer days. We have to carry clothes cover for the spot where the kids sit on so they can at least sit on the seats at first.

The climate control on the MDX works extremely well and even have the dual system so that is not a problem. Also the dark windows should help a lot too. If it is still badly hot, perhaps I need to have the new habit of "cooling down" the car before entry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in Virginia Beach, VA. We have many very hot humid summer days and some pretty cold spells in the winter.

The ebony leather has been great. In the summer, the tinted back windows and solar front keep it comfortable. Even after a baking all day in the sun the seats are not too hot for shorts.

In the winter, I have enjoyed the front heaters a few times, but It is also fine when there not used.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't own an Acura, but I have had black leather in my cars for the past 7 years. I agree it does get hotter in summer but it maintains it's new look better than beige or gray colored leather. Black interiors age better than lighter colored interiors IMO.

Tint helps out a lot too. Tint your windows to help out from the heat.
Finally the quality of leather means a bunch too.

·
681 Posts
OK in Charleston

We certainly get our share of hot days here in balmy Charleston and I have never found the ebony leather seats to be a problem. The tinting probably helps.

Meep Meep

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had various cars with different shades of leather seating, and I can't say I've seen much of a difference between those and the ebony leather in my MDX.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ebony OR Saddle the battle rages on...

This looks like one of the largest ongoing debates in these forums, but mostly looks like it falls under personal preference than anything else.
Some argue ebony hides the dirt better, others argue that the saddle shows the dirt better so you know when to clean it, others state the ebony carpeting shows the dirt more than the saddle, the ebony shows less scuffs than the saddle, the arguments seem to go on and on...

I just think it falls under personal preference. We actually liked the ebony interior initially, but when we sat in both: the saddle gave the MDX a feel of more volume and we felt kinda claustrophobic in the ebony after sitting in the saddle. So we went with the saddle. How come the all weather mats by Acura come only in ebony when there are 2 color choices?? As far as temperature I am sure the saddle gets as hot as the ebony and is just as cold in the winter, this has to do with material reactions to environment. The sun may be a factor, but I would plan on using a winshield deflector to keep that steering wheel from getting hot during the summer,but one can't totally defeat the effects of the sun unless it is parked indoors or in complete shade aftermarket tinting may help I know it does in areas like Arizona and Texas.

The only thing I don't like about the leather seating in the MDX is that it has perforated leather in the seats this isn't good for those of us with kids...mmm juicebox spills that get soaked into the seat to ferment in the summer... plus you get those blue fuzzies poking through the seat during the breaking in period.

I will just have to wait till ours comes in, I am debating on waiting until 2003 to see what changes occur there, maybe HID's, non-perforated seats, the rear entertainment system, the rear view camera kit, the backup sensor kit, electric tailgate window,or even a Type S engine option with sport shifter any hints yet???:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
ebony leather.....not that hot~

WE got the ebony leather in our MDX, and I was concerned about the heat. However, we live in Sunny, HOT, HUMID St. Pete Florida and we got our MDX in June. It's not bad at all.
and, with kids, it shows less dirt.

I found a little silver diecast MDX at WAlgreens for $2.99 and now my 3 and half year old thinks he's really cool to drive his Mommy's ACURA!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ebony is an excellent color

i believe everyone with a MDX should have an autostart alarm system!! This eliminates the cold or hot seats because you leave the thermostate set to desired temperature the prior night, then in mourning use auto start to warm up or cool down the interior. You can even have the seats cherry hot when you get in. I just had mt clifford alarm with auto start installed about a month after i received and it's a pleasure it's amazing i lasted that long. No more warming up or running to suv to start and running back into house to wait. It's especially great in snow or cold weather because it defrost windows and has everyhting perfect when ready to go. A must for every MDX owner!!!!!!!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts