Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have took delivery of my X for 4 weeks now and I noticed several areas underneath the car getting rusted. E.g., the brake drums and outer rims of brake motor in both the front and rear wheels, and some parts near the suspension areas in both the front and the back of the X. It is rainy season in my area, and I noticed the rusting after I came back from a ski trip when there was a snow storm.

My question to our fellow Xers is that is it normal to have rusting occurred so soon underneath the X ? and any problem with that ? Any solution to prevent and/or get rid of the growing rust ? Comments are appreciated.:3:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We've discussed this briefly a couple of times. It's surface rust on the cast iron parts. It's normal and not a problem. If it really bothers you, you could remove it and paint/coat the parts.

Do a search for "cast iron" (without quotes) and some threads will pop up.

Not to worry.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheWorm said:
We've discussed this briefly a couple of times. It's surface rust on the cast iron parts. It's normal and not a problem. If it really bothers you, you could remove it and paint/coat the parts.

Not to worry.
Thanks TheWorm. I have searched previous threads on this subject, and found a lot of info. All Xs from 2001 to 2003 model have the same situation. I guess Acura must know about the rust issue through all these years, and there must some reasons they don't replace these cast iron parts with steel or paint over them to give a better look to make the X owners happy and give thyem a piece of mind. Anyone knows why Acura not addressing this issue even in the 2003 model. I have taken couple photos of my 2003 X to show the rusting parts:

(attachment deleted - it wasn't showing up - the red X - but please keep them 640x480 or smaller so they fit in the forum columns)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheWorm said:

Not to worry.
Thanks TheWorm. I have searched previous threads on this subject, and found a lot of info. All Xs from 2001 to 2003 model have the same situation. I guess Acura must know about the rust issue through all these years, and there must some reasons they don't replace these cast iron parts with steel or paint over them to give a better look to make the X owners happy and give thyem a piece of mind. Anyone knows why Acura not addressing this issue even in the 2003 model?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I must have done something wrong to incorrectly post the photo in my previous message. Any suggestion on how to post digital image in this forum? Thanks

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Well, the first thing you could do, would be to resample the image with some photo-editing software to reduce the photo to a manageable file size.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iceman1331 said:

Thanks TheWorm. I have searched previous threads on this subject, and found a lot of info. All Xs from 2001 to 2003 model have the same situation. I guess Acura must know about the rust issue through all these years, and there must some reasons they don't replace these cast iron parts with steel or paint over them to give a better look to make the X owners happy and give thyem a piece of mind. Anyone knows why Acura not addressing this issue even in the 2003 model. I have taken couple photos of my 2003 X to show the rusting parts:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
errrrrrr... looks like you resize your photos into 25% of originial size. But try to keep it everything 25%. Otherwise we are looking at 75% of white background.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JTM said:
errrrrrr... looks like you resize your photos into 25% of originial size. But try to keep it everything 25%. Otherwise we are looking at 75% of white background.
Thanks for the advise. I do not get what you mean by keeping the size to 25%? I have tried to reduce the image to below 100 KBytes before I posted it on my reply to this forum, but I don't know why the image is still shown so big when my thread message is open? Any comments on how to post image that will show up in appropriate size in this forum? Thank you.

Getting back to the rusted bottom issue, today I went to Costco to do my shopping. Parking on the same roll with my 03 X were two older models of X, believed to be either 01 or 02 models. I took a peek at the bottoms of these two Xs, and their wheel brackets appeared to be no rust on them. My theorey on this is that while some earlier threads showed photos of rusted bottoms in 01 and 02 models, however I did not see any rusted bottoms for the 2 Xs parking in the Costoco parking lot today, I believed the original rust (usually light brown color) on the cast iron has been further oxidized to become darker color iron oxides which make it look like there was no rust in there before. Someone please confirm my reasoning which may help to explain this to many new worried X owners.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Probably correct...

When iron first gets rusty it is very orange. Later rusting may appear a very dark red, or even black. The reason for this can be explained through chemistry.

The most common oxidation state of iron in compounds is +3, meaning it has 'donated' three electrons. This is usually designated as Fe(III)Oxide. Iron can also form oxygen compounds where it 'donates' two OR four electrons, iron (II) oxide and iron (IV) oxide. (there is an older, obsolete naming system involving ferric, ferryl & ferrous) Typically the iron (IV) oxides are deep red (common in ancient pigments), iron (II) are generally blacker , and iron (III) are typically orange. (you'd also get some iron chlorides, iron sulfides, and even some acetates...)

Another factor is DIRT. Road dirt, rich in oil & rubber is quite black. If you totally "de-greased" the dirt you might find that you'd see more of the orange, BUT the rust itself would have more of the red & black compounds.

Don't forget that "cast iron" ain't all iron. There are other metals and even some carbon & silicon in the 'matrix'. Typically the percentages of softer metals (like copper) is very low, but the 'steel alloying metals' are often added to iron to make the cast iron easier to pour, forge, or harden. AS the other metals oxidize they too can contribute to the general 'blackness' (most metals turn black as they oxidize...)

Roll it all together and the older undercarriages don't look too bad..

Ah science...

iceman1331 said:

Thanks for the advise. I do not get what you mean by keeping the size to 25%? I have tried to reduce the image to below 100 KBytes before I posted it on my reply to this forum, but I don't know why the image is still shown so big when my thread message is open? Any comments on how to post image that will show up in appropriate size in this forum? Thank you.

Getting back to the rusted bottom issue, today I went to Costco to do my shopping. Parking on the same roll with my 03 X were two older models of X, believed to be either 01 or 02 models. I took a peek at the bottoms of these two Xs, and their wheel brackets appeared to be no rust on them. My theorey on this is that while some earlier threads showed photos of rusted bottoms in 01 and 02 models, however I did not see any rusted bottoms for the 2 Xs parking in the Costoco parking lot today, I believed the original rust (usually light brown color) on the cast iron has been further oxidized to become darker color iron oxides which make it look like there was no rust in there before. Someone please confirm my reasoning which may help to explain this to many new worried X owners.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
renov8r...

Now that's what I call an explanation. :4:

·
Registered
191 Posts
just wish I could understand it.:confused:

Btw saw similar rust on a 2002 T bird a local Ford dealer was showing at the mall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts