Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a dvd player that has the capabilities to play vcd,dvd,cdr and mp3 sholud be able to play mpeg on a cd-r. Reason I am asking is I made a cd with a compilation of short mpegs video that plays fine on my cpu, but when inserted into my versatile dvd player, gives error "wrong disk". It will not play!!!!Any comment is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
CD-R != DVD

I'd guess it is a problem with the CD-R discs you used being a bit off for the player's detection circuitry.

You computer probably has a wider range of read angles/color tolerance than the DVD player.

Have you tried searching the net for others with the same brand of player? Often you find a forum with folks who have gotten a specif brand/color of CDR to work...

Good LUCK!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Which DVD player are we talking. It must have an MPEG decoder, pretty sure most do not...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TVIEW UNIT

This is a TVIEW dvd player here's the pecs....
I bought it here
http://www.five-stars.com/combo2.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD STANDARD FEATURES

-Plays DVD, CD & MP3 discs -High definition MPEG2 video performance

-Composite audio & video output with RCA connectors -Headphone jack

-Full function wireless infrared remote -FF, FR & repeat functions

-Spring/damper suspension -CD frequency response 30-20,000 Hz -CD signal-to-noise ratio ? 110dB (A-weighted) -Includes installation brackets & hardware, trim plate,

-18ft external remote eye, wiring harness, 110VAC/12VDC -power supply
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can't just stick an MPG file on a CD-R and expect it to play. You need to encode it into one of the recognized MPG playback formats:

VCD = MPG1 on CD media
SVCD = MPG2 on CD media
DVD = MPG2 on DVD media
mini-DVD = MPG2 on CD media (not widely supported)

There is additional info on the disc besides the MPG file that the player needs to play back the video correctly.

You're going to need to use a program like Nero to put your MPG1 or MPG2 file into VCD or SVCD format.

Check out http://www.vcdhelp.com

Kit

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
MPEG1 is VCD format. However, in the description of the player you gave, it only mentions DVD, CD, and MP3. Does your player play VCDs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Almost all commercial DVD players will play VCD's. If you want to play homemade VCD's (recorded or copied on your PC), the player also has to be able to play CD-R's, and that is by no means a foregone conclusion. *Many* DVD players will not play CD-R's. Try a CD-Audio disc copied onto a CD-R to see if this is the case with your player. If this turns out to be your problem, try a CD-RW, which is generally more compatible with DVD players.

While MPEG1 is how the video is encoded, VCD's are much more than MPEG1 files. From the link provided earlier, here are the requirements for VCD 1.1.

Video CD 1.1
This is the most basic Video CD specification dating back to 1993 4 , which has the followingcharacteristics:
• One mode 2 mixed form ISO-9660 track containing file pointers to the information areas.
• Up to 98 multiplex-ed mpeg-1 audio/video streams or cd-da audio tracks.
• Up to 500 mpeg sequence entry points used as chapter divisions.
The Video CD specification requires the multiplex-ed mpeg-1 stream to have a cbr of less than 174300 bytes (1394400 bits) per second 5 in order to accommodate single speed cd-rom drives. The specification allows for the following two resolutions 6 :
• 352 x 240 @ 29.97 Hz (ntsc sif).
• 352 x 240 @ 23.976 Hz (film sif).
The cbr mpeg-1, layer II audio stream is fixed at 224 kbps with 1 stereo or 2 mono channels.It is recommended to keep the video bit-rate under 1151929.1 bps 7.

Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts