Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking on the net at Morp..and Kaz** but can't find any full movies in either vcd or dvd format to snag. My next bet is to find a cheap source on the net to buy em. Any info is appreciated on the subject.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Go to:

www.allvcd.com

I bought the Star Wars trilogy, all the Futurama VCDs, Planet of the Apes, and one more I can't remember without going to look.

VCDs are fun and a cheap way (between 7.50 and 9.50 for most) to get movies. They are NOT DVDs, however, and the video quality is about what VHS is.

I was originally a little leary of ordering from Malaysia, but I figured that risking 8 bucks plus shipping would not break my bank if it turned out to be fly-by-night or worse...and this gamble paid off!

I got the SW trilogy right after the PotA arrived and they are fun. VCDs can (if, like me, you are a collector) be copied on any CD burner. So as soon as I got the SW trilogy, I burned copies and put away the cool box and pristine, unscratched discs...now they remain mint, and are a nice addition to the LDs and lone DVD (Ep1) I have!

AllVCD does not have any pirate videos..they seem to be a legit operation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
and to snag movies, the best online source I know of:

www.imesh.com

loooong downloads but fun

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
MannyE said:
and to snag movies, the best online source I know of:

www.imesh.com

loooong downloads but fun
I would advise not downloading imesh...its loaded with spyware.

·
Registered
307 Posts
maik...

so what would you use for downloading movies?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't download them.
Not until there is a secure site from which to do it.

To me, it simply is not worth the hassle of taking off all the crap that imesh puts on the PC. They have been cited as one of the biggest spyware sites on the net.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
A better choice is Kazaa Lite. Basically it's a variant of Kazaa with all the spyware/adware ripped out. Lets you run Kazaa without the hassles, though the Kazaa interface will still pop an ad on you once in a while.

www.kazaalite.com

I highly recommend LavaSoft's Ad-aware. Run it, and it hunts down and removes the spyware/adware junk.

www.lavasoft.de

Finally, most of my browsing nowadays is done from Opera (95%). Most sites render fine in it, though sometimes I do switch back to Internet Explorer. Opera is just lightning fast compared to IE and has some great features for browsing. E.g. if I get a list of new messages, I can ctrl-shift-click on the ones I'm interested in, and it'll pop open a new tab for each message in the background (of the same window). Then I just read each one and close each tab with a ctrl-F4. It's great for "industrial web reading," like reading a bunch of stories from ESPN.

The reason I even mention Opera here is that a lot of spyware/adware can't get into it, unlike IE. One of Opera's best features is "disable pop-ups"! which gets rid of the annoying pop-up and pop-under ads as you visit web sites. There are hacky little tools for IE which try to do it, but Opera has it built-in and it works reliably.

The downside to Opera is that there is a small ad rectangle in the upper-right corner. You have to buy it to remove it, though, frankly, the ad banner is unobtrusive to me, and it's well worth the money.

www.operasoft.com

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been downloading off of imesh for some time now and yes...the popups are annoying, but they don't really bother me enough to not download stuff.

Maik, I know you are trying to help:) But your advice is like when you tell the doctor "Hey Doc, it hurts when I laugh.", and the doctor says, "Well then don't laugh.";)

Quan, I'll try Kazaalite...sounds like it could be better than imesh...lol I'll download it from imesh

:2:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
MannyE said:
I've been downloading off of imesh for some time now and yes...the popups are annoying, but they don't really bother me enough to not download stuff.

Maik, I know you are trying to help:) But your advice is like when you tell the doctor "Hey Doc, it hurts when I laugh.", and the doctor says, "Well then don't laugh.";)

Quan, I'll try Kazaalite...sounds like it could be better than imesh...lol I'll download it from imesh

:2:
If the pop ups dont bother you, then great. I use my PC for several personal financial functions and I am not at all interested in allowing any non secure site in. I hope you realize the information that is made public via these non secure sites. For example, if you have EVER used you PC to purchase anything via a credit card, that credit card number is in your registry just waiting for someone to grab it. For me, at least, this is not worth the cost of a few movies that I can buy or rent and copy. At a minimum, you might want to look into ad-aware.com as a means to help protect your PC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
some of you folks are paranoid as hell boo hooing about protecting your PC... the chances that joe q hacker gives 45 flying f's about your specific credit card on your specific computer are extremely minimal... also if by some act of god you actually get hacked, you are not liable for any charges on your card....

i use my comp for everything including financial stuff and i surf some of the most insecure sites imaginable and ive had no issues.... using a firewall, anti-virus, and occasionally cleaning up your computer will leave you harmless...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm with Jlive!

It's like never eating sushi because of that one in a million bad piece of fish.

I'm an internet cowboy, a bandwidth buckeroo!

I go where all fear to tread!

SIZE=4]BOW BEFORE MY DOWNLOADING DEXTERITY MERE MORTALS ARE NOT WORTHY!![/SIZE]

:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts