Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a DVD player in my MDX so the kids can stay entertained on long trips. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do to get a good price on a system? How much should I expect to spend for the equipment and installation (which you can safely assume I am incompetent to do myself).

I think I would like to get the headrests with the built-in monitors, as I fear the flipdown kind would get in the way of the rear-view mirror, but would be glad to hear of others' experiences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yoitsme said:
I would like to install a DVD player in my MDX so the kids can stay entertained on long trips. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do to get a good price on a system? How much should I expect to spend for the equipment and installation (which you can safely assume I am incompetent to do myself).

I think I would like to get the headrests with the built-in monitors, as I fear the flipdown kind would get in the way of the rear-view mirror, but would be glad to hear of others' experiences.

Thanks!
yoitsme,

I just recently did an install and have included a link to it. I did the Navi conversion, and installed flip-down monitor. The flip-down unfortunately does get in the way a bit, but it's a cheaper solution than the headrest monitors.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to buy the equipment yourself and find a good installer. I did some research on the internet and found some pretty good deals. Take a look at www.theautoaccessories.com , www.lightav.com , and www.five-stars.com . Then I took the equipment to a local installer, in this case across the river in New Jersey.

The equipment including a backup camera cost about $1000 and the installation was about $800.

Anyway, here's the link with the details:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5662&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the thread. Very impressive setup you have. I'd rather not have the monitor block the rearview mirror, though, so would probably opt for the headrest monitors. Anyone have any ideas where to find those for a reasonable price?

Also, I'm in the SF Bay Area and don't think this is worth a road trip to New Jersey. Anyone know any good installers on this Coast?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very helpful, thanks. Never occured to me that you could slip a 5" monitor over the headrest without replacing the entire headrest. have you seen that in an MDX? How does it look? Is a 5" screen adequate (these are for my kids, so we're not looking for high-resolution stuff here...). Any ideas which brand is the most reliable and will fit well in the X?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I'm a neophyte on these issues...thanks!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yoitsme said:
Very helpful, thanks. Never occured to me that you could slip a 5" monitor over the headrest without replacing the entire headrest. have you seen that in an MDX? How does it look? Is a 5" screen adequate (these are for my kids, so we're not looking for high-resolution stuff here...). Any ideas which brand is the most reliable and will fit well in the X?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I'm a neophyte on these issues...thanks!
I got mine from http://www.five-stars.com/video.html . The reason is, they offer a 1 year warranty and you actually deal with a brick and mortar distributor where you can actually talk to them. The quality of the screen I got was pretty good. Soon you'll discover that many of the screens on the market are all about the same, but just rebadged here in the US (many are made in Taiwan). If you don't go to the high end stuff, I think these are pretty good. Just get one with higher resolutions, 1440 x 234 for 7 inch, and 960 x 234 for the 5 inch.

As to the headrest installs, it's been done on the MDX before.
jessenj also did the following install at streeteffectz. I would PM jessenj and ask him what he thinks of his install/quality and size of screen. Here is his install:

http://acuramdx.phpwebhosting.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5266

1 - 6 of 6 Posts