Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

DVD Burner problems with '03 RES

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  fchao 
#1 ·
Has anyone successfully burned their own DVD's and played them back in the '03 RES? I just bought a Philips DVDR985 burner and the DVD+RW discs it creates won't play in my '03 MDX RES. The burned discs play fine in my other home DVD player, and other store-bought DVD's play fine in the RES. It's just that the combination of burned-DVD's and the RES doesn't work.

Help! Anyone using a DVD burner that works with the RES? I still have time to send the Philips burner back if there is one that I know will work with my RES.

I've tried all the compatibility suggestions in the Philips manual (record enough on disc, "adapting" the disc, etc.) and nothing works.

Thanks
================
'03 MDX Touring/Nav/RES, White/Saddle.

#4 ·
I'll try the +R suggestion...I only initially bought +RW discs. My Philips recorder doesn't record VCD's as far as I can tell.

Anyone know who OEM's Acura's RES DVD? I'm trying to match it up against the compatibility chart at http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/compatibilitylist_dvdvideo.html

It does look like in general that +R is more compatible than +RW, but you'd think that since Acura seems to be priding itself on its high tech Nav/DVD/electronics that they would have done a little +RW compatibilty testing on their systems. Sigh.

#5 ·
I have an 02' MY T with Navi (no RES), and OEM navi is made by Alpine. It will read dvd-r format not the dvd+r or dvd+rw. As for 03' MY with RES, DVD-R is the readable format (+R or +RW is still not the standard format for most DVD player in most vehicle.)

As for VCD try using Nero burning Rom version 5.5.9.17, it will let u rip the dvd movie and convert it to VCD. By the way, all DVD burner will let you burn regular CD-R, VCD and also SVCD. ;)

#6 ·
I've been thinking about buying a DVD burner. Right now my top choice would be the new Sony DRU-500A unit. Burns the two major formats -- DVD-R and DVD-R/W, plus DVD+R and DVD+R/W. About $350, some places have it discounted. A bit hard to find right now. There's also an external version.

I think Pioneer is going to release a similar unit soon.

#7 ·
I would be very surprised if the RES DVD player is capable of playing homemade VCD's and DVD's. Most OEM players do not. It's the off-brands like Pyle, Boss and Apex that play them. I plan on getting one for my X because I have many VCD's and SVCD's. That's exactly why I didn't get the RES option.

#8 ·
Soundstorm DVD player

The little DVD player I have can play almost any format. It also plays DVD-R (the cheapo Ritek) but DVD+RW is more compatible. For DVD-R I have to sometimes eject the disc and re-insert a couple times then it plays OK. Updated, Now with the new firmware update for the Sony DRU-500A burner, DVD-R plays perfectly every time. I use the latest Nero to burn, rip with DVD Descrytor and IFOEdit to extract unecesarry stuff. Good luck.

#9 ·
Re: Soundstorm DVD player

purdue1 said:
The little DVD player I have can play almost any format. It also plays DVD-R (the cheapo Ritek) but DVD+RW is more compatible. For DVD-R I have to sometimes eject the disc and re-insert a couple times then it plays OK. Updated, Now with the new firmware update for the Sony DRU-500A burner, DVD-R plays perfectly every time. I use the latest Nero to burn, rip with DVD Descrytor and IFOEdit to extract unecesarry stuff. Good luck.
Purdue, can you tell me what model Soundstorm you have (and where you got it if you could)? Does it fit in the dash or is it installed under a seat? I am looking for an in-dash vacuum-loaded drive that is VCD/SVCD compatible. I don't want my wife fumbling to change a disc when she's driving or worrying about pulling over to change discs.

Thanks.

#11 ·
Casique said:
I tried to play a CD-R on my 03 RES and it spit it out. It only plays store bought CD's.:3:
Was that a CD-R with MP3s on it or did you burn a 'traditional' music CD? Was this in the in-dash (single) player, the DVD player, or the 6-disk changer that is under the driver's seat? I'm disappointed that none of the players will play MP3 CDs but, I'll be REALLY upset if none of them can play a 'burned' music CD.

#12 ·
rjmitche said:

Was that a CD-R with MP3s on it or did you burn a 'traditional' music CD? Was this in the in-dash (single) player, the DVD player, or the 6-disk changer that is under the driver's seat? I'm disappointed that none of the players will play MP3 CDs but, I'll be REALLY upset if none of them can play a 'burned' music CD.
Me too. I have about 200 store-bought CD's but my MP3 collection is almost at 14,000 titles.

#13 ·
rjmitche said:

I have definitely played CD-R on my '02 in-dash 6-player. I'd be surprised if they went backward on the '03...

#15 ·
I burned a DVD+R disc tonight and it worked in my 03 MDX RES. So it looks like DVD+RW is not compatible with the RES but DVD+R is.

VCD and other formats weren't an option for me because this recorder (Philips DVDR985) is not a computer disc-burner. It is a stand-alone VCR-replacement that looks like a home DVD player but has a record button as well. It records DVD+R and DVD+RW only, not CD-R, VCD, etc. The advantage it has is that recording is super-easy and happens in "real-time". I have it in my living room and can "tape" my kid's favorite TV shows to DVD and play them back in the car on long trips. Cheaper in the long run than buying a bunch of store-bought DVD's.

#16 ·
captnflash said:
I burned a DVD+R disc tonight and it worked in my 03 MDX RES. So it looks like DVD+RW is not compatible with the RES but DVD+R is.
Glad it worked! From what I've seen, DVD-R is probably the most compatible, followed by DVD+R. Then DVD-RW, then DVD+RW. Your mileage may vary!

#17 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purdue, can you tell me what model Soundstorm you have (and where you got it if you could)? Does it fit in the dash or is it installed under a seat? I am looking for an in-dash vacuum-loaded drive that is VCD/SVCD compatible. I don't want my wife fumbling to change a disc when she's driving or worrying about pulling over to change discs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember the model number right now, but there's only one Soundstorm vacuum DVD player from cmttrading.com. It fits in the pocket right under the coin tray. I just put a 1/2" non-skidding rubber mat underneath the DVD player so it won't move around and easier to change disc.

#18 ·
purdue1 said:
I don't remember the model number right now, but there's only one Soundstorm vacuum DVD player from cmttrading.com. It fits in the pocket right under the coin tray. I just put a 1/2" non-skidding rubber mat underneath the DVD player so it won't move around and easier to change disc.
Thanks. I already had that site bookmarked. I'll take another look.

#19 ·
rjmitche said:

It was a CD-R with regular songs! The CD changer plays it ok! However, the RES DVD unit does not play the CD-R! The dash cd player, plays CD-R just fine as well. The only issue is the RES DVD player not playing CD-R. Not a big deal though.:1:

#20 ·
purdue1 said:

Purdue,

Can you put some pictures about the DVD player ? I am interested.

Thanks

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.