Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be trading in our current when we get our MDX. We have been waiting for the MDX 9 months and have been told that our car will be here in the next couple of weeks.

The issue is that our current car has a very slow leak of transmission fluid, that I would expect wouldn't be noticed by the dealership when we trade it in. Do we have to tell the dealership about it if we aren't asked? How about if we are asked if the car has any problems?

I do feel a bit slimy about this whole thing, but the dealership has treated us quite badly, so I can rationalize this by figuring that:

1. they are already making a hefty profit on us,

2. they sold us this car (used) in the first place and it arrived with undisclosed problems which they refused to fix.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
594 Posts
My opinion?

My opinion is that you're too honest.

I wouldn't sell it outright to an individual, but I would definitely trade it without disclosing it for the reasons you mentioned in addition to a couple of others:
They can fix the problem for much less than you can have it fixed.
Part of the trade in process is they pay you wholesale, invest some money in the car, and sell it for retail.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When I traded mine, I gave them a copy of all my service records, right down to the original sticker and key ring. I really didn't HAVE to do THAT...but I'd tossed it all in a file and had nothing to hide.

THEY will probably sell it to a wholesaler...or might wind up selling it on their lot. In any case, they'll inspect the vehicle in order to warranty it for the next buyer. I believe your only duty is to fill out their brief vehicle history questionaire and disclose an accident or something major. They'll run your vin through CarFax or similar agency anyway.

I would not consider a small leak...major or anything worth noting, since they'll fix all that small stuff. I would also drive a hard bargain on the trade in. I got an extra $1,500 beyond their additional offer, so there's room to play.

I was even told the 'service manager' bought my old SUV. I haven't been back to confirm that...but I did see it in their employee parking area a month or so later. It was in immaculate shape...so that helps the trade too. Good Luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Laws may vary from state to state, but I was told the following by a used car dealer who recently bought my 13 year old PF. (BTW, this is in NH)

If you as an individual sell a vehicle to another individual, you must disclose any problems. Further, even if you sell is 'as is' and put 'as is' right on the bill of sale, you may still be required to fix problems found later that were in existence when you sold it. So in effect, you are actually providing a sort of warranty on it, whether you like it or not. Not sure how severe those problems would need to be which would require you to fix them or how long after the sale they have to discover any problems, we didn't discuss that in any detail.

However, if you sell your vehicle to a dealer, they buy it at their peril. You are under no obligation once the deal is done. Apparently, they are expected to know better. We didn't specifically discuss trade in vs purchase (as in my case) but I'd venture a guess that it works the same. They should know better.

That said, I agree with davegood. If it were me, I wouldn't tell them. And I'd have a clear conscience too.

Note to davegood: have you spellchecked anything with your name in it? When I just spellchecked this reply, the alternative for davegood came up 'avenged' :eek: :eek:

What's up with that??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you feel you need to disclose the problem - then try this approach:

First take the car to a transmission place & ask them what it would cost to fix the leak. Then go to a CarMax and ask them for their best "buy bid". If no CarMAx, go to several dealers.

Take the highest buy bid and subtract the cost to repair the car - if the dealer's trade price is higher than the difference - I would mention it to them, if it's lower, I wouldn't.

Dealers pay their employees to properly inspect a car & build in a "repair amount" needed to repair the car - if they are going to sell it on their lot. If they aren't keeping the car, then it doesn't' matter anyway.

You said they didn't disclose problems to you when they sold you the car - so why are you worried about it? I agree it's best to be honest , but since you were treated dishonestly by this dealer - I wouldn't worry about this too much.

As an aside, several year ago I mentioned to the dealer I was trading my car that the car needed several items to be repaired. He said -"don't worry about it - they will catch it during the inspection." So - I didn't worry about it, and I was offered a fair trade when I considered the cost of repairs and the tax savings.

Good luck

·
Registered
426 Posts
From the dealer perspective.
On our trade-in evaluation. We ask several questions that you have to sign or initial. Has the car ever been wrecked? Are there any repairs needed? Do you have service records? and what repairs have you done? Legally, if you lied, yes there could be recourse just the same if we sold that car. Do dealers often go back on the customer for recourse, If the car has been in a major accident and you said it hadn't, yes we would. If we found a transmission leak, probably not. We would just fix it and go about our way and if the repair was more than what we wanted to put in the car we would wholesale it. As far as reporting it on trade-in, that is a decision you need to make. I had a call today about a Mercedes we have on ad, this particular car has some issues and I told the person that this car had some issues, yes I'm sure I lost a deal and would probably get my *** chewed out if my boss knew what I told the customer. Well to make a long story short the customer got mad at me for having the car on ad. I think it would have been easier to sell it to him, but I thought I made the right decision for me. I like to sleep good at night.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I do feel a bit slimy about this whole thing, but the dealership has treated us quite badly, so I can rationalize this by figuring that:

1. they are already making a hefty profit on us,

2. they sold us this car (used) in the first place and it arrived with undisclosed problems which they refused to fix.
I can't for the life of me figure out why you are gracing them with your business yet again! I would never give that much money to a place that treated me badly or lied to me and then refused to make the situation right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, Iceman, it makes absolutely no sense to give the lousy dealership more business. This dealership is located about 20 minutes from us and the next closest Acura dealership is over an hour from here. AND this dealer didn't require a deposit to get on the waiting list. AND when we put our name on the waiting list on March 9th, they told us the wait was 3 to 5 months, compared to longer waits elsewhere. Five years have passed since our last car purchase at the dealership and I suppose we have mellowed .... or maybe we were naive enought to believe this experience would be different.

BUT we waited 7.5 months before the dealership offered us a 2001 MDX .... in late October (avoiding our phone calls all the while). We declined the car and have recently been told we will get a 2002 Mahogany with a build date 11/17-11/21. We put our name on a list at another dealership in early July and they just called us to tell us our 2002 Mahogany has a build date of 11/17-11/21. It seems we will have a car before Christmas.

Thanks for all of the valuable input on selling a used car. We're new to this game. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wish you the best of luck! Maybe the intervening 5 years have seen some changes in the ownership or at least management of the dealership.

I'm such a stickler for honesty and customer service that I would stubbornly drive the extra hour to the other dealer, but I realize that I'm a strange bird. In any case, no matter how it works out, I hope that you get your Christmas gift!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sort of related to this topic...

I was rear-ended two days ago, and now I have a slight downward "adjustment" to the rear bumper of my soon to be traded-in-car. Does anyone have any idea how much this type of thing would hit my trade in value? Dealer knows about it (my husband thinks its obvious, so I had to come clean) but hasn't seen it yet. Otherwise, the car is deemed "clean".

My MDX is due very soon, and I'm thankful this didn't happen after I took delivery!

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Tuff to estimate w/o eyeballs...but would say a minimum of $500. A 'close relative' recently backed into a Jeep, creating a slightly downward appearance in HIS bumper. Parts cost? $560. Things like scratched paint...broken brackets...misaligned parts and other hidden costs, etc. Because the guy was a DIY'r, an add'l $150 in labor was saved. Plus...dealers will likely take the op to 'gouge' as dealers do. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
DMor
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing