Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the dust and pollen filter is. Unless I missed it all I could find in the owners manual was the replacement schedule for this filter not where it is located.

thanks in advance....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ernie,

I could have looked forever and never thought of looking behind the glove box. BTW how did you find it there, did I miss it in the manual?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ray,

I have the factory service manual.

Just got a pollen (A/C) filter from Tim (hondacuraworld) for $21.45. It's similar to the engine's air filter but much bigger & thinner ( white vs. green ).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Earnie,

Is the factory service manual readily available? Did you get yours through the dealer?

Ray

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's good news, Ernie. Is it an easy thing to swap out...or do you have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it? How long do you thing it will take you to do it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is order info for factory manuals on P.385 of owner's manual. Or buy it online - http://www.helm.com .

To replace the dust/pollen filter, you have to :
1. Remove the glove box ( there are some SRS components in
this area, be careful!)
2. Cut the plastic cross brace and discard it (first time
only).
3. Remove glove box frame (4 screws)
4. Remove the filter lid and pull out the filter.

It is not that difficult but the manual helps a lot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hyh said:
I have the factory service manual.
hyh,
I'm thinking about getting a service manual. In your opinion, is the service manual a worthwhile purchase? Are there many other things (besides replacing the aforementioned air filter) that warrant it? These days with autos so complex, there isn't much a do-it-yourselfer can still do him/herself. TIA.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Regarding the service manual:

Even if you don't do stuff yourself, the biggest reason (in my mind) for having the service manual is to keep the dealer honest.

This way, if work is being done you know how they should do it right. I found two different dealers didn't follow the manual- one didn't replace washers that the manual states must be replaced when the bolt is removed, andother didn't check the alignment after a suspension part was replaced.

You'd be none the wiser, assuming the dealer is the expert, if you didn't have the manual.

I ordered mine before they were even shipping them.

Around $65 and worth it.

Ard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do we need to change the filter this soon?

hyh & Ray, et al,

Why are you changing the dust & pollen filter so soon? What time frame is recommended?
Did Tim provide a better one than the stock model?
Does the stock and/or Tim's filter also block mold spores?
My allergies are killing me this year. If there is an upgrade filter I gotta have one.
I know, lotsa questions, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who needs the answers.
Anymore input from our MDX (online) community?

Great information about the manual and the filter.
Thanks,
Boomer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boomer,

30K/2yrs to replace the filter.
I am allergic to pollen (esp. Oak and weeds) in spring and fall and I want to have a spare one whenever I need it.

It¡¦s a genuine filter from Acura and I¡¦m not sure if aftermarket one does exist. The market is too small to attract aftermarket manufacturers, I think.

Out of topic: My allergies are almost cured by my acupuncturist. I don¡¦t have to take any medicine and only one treatment for whole season. Amazing!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ernie,

I was sure the filter change out was in that time frame. I couldn't check my own manual due to the fact that I've been traveling for my job for the last week.
Great news about the acupuncturist! I have had treatments in the past for other ailments and just two days ago I made an appointment to see a practioner for my allergies!
Thanks for sharing,
Boomer

·
Registered
576 Posts
For those of you who may have replaced the dust and pollen filter yourselves, is there a "wrong" way to install it? Ever since mine was replaced by the dealer at 30K, my glove box door "sticks" when I open it (no big deal). My real concern is that when the fan is on max high, I'm getting a strange air flow noise from where the filter is. Also, I now notice when sitting in traffic close to the car/truck in front of me, I can clearly smell exhaust fumes even with the air conditioner on.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
HARDROCK
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing